- - - - -

re-found LX re-build

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 _tweetytorana_

_tweetytorana_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:01 PM

First job was to hang upside down in the front and get rid of all the weird wiring the kid has put in in....really gotta wonder why anyone would velcro on two mobile phone car chargers either side of the heater and splice them into the intrument lights...with two kill switchs, perhaps it's better I never know!

The RWC will be through on Tuesday so I can put the origianl rego back on her then (IWU518). The brake disc has been changed, the auto elec will fix the fuel gauge & highbeam indecator tomorrow, but the long weekend was all about doors.
We popped over to Waith75's and managed to do the impossible - four Torana doors with glass squeezed into a Lancer coupe (not a hatch!!) and 3 of us packed into the front for the trip back to Warrnambool. Once door was pretty urgent as you can see:
The outside
Posted Image
The inside
Posted Image
The back of the trim - yep, that's mould
Posted Image

New doors were electric blue, but not for long
Posted Image
Minor repairs and a quick spray had one looking good
Posted Image
And the otherside of the trim is still ok for now
Posted Image

Not a bad way to spend the long weekend.

Just three more doors to go......

#2 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,476 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:03 PM

Not a bad effort
I got 2 doors a boot and a couple of other bits in the back of my datto 1000 wagon (lil car) but didn't go for the 2 back doors

I'll come get them later Mark

#3 _tweetytorana_

_tweetytorana_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:56 PM

:rockon: RWC is in my hands now. Got the mag that was buckled back from Wheels in B'rat. Great job. Tomorrow 2.30pm - REGO YYYEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,335 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:44 PM

w000 looks like you're absolutely pounding through the resto process, nice work!

#5 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:34 AM

Woman on a mission!!

Comming along nicely.

Keep up the pics!

#6 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,335 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:14 PM

One hour and 15 mins to go! lol

#7 _tweetytorana_

_tweetytorana_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 02:18 PM

I HAVE REGO YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Went and cut a lap of the her old stomping ground. Got a few interesting looks from some very confused locals.

Off to pick up a new decal for the back (always had a little tweety bird on the back). And confuse some more people. Mind games - I LOVE them Ha Ha.

Might get some top coat clear for that back door...looks a little dull.....any excuse to leave the Lancer in the driveway and take off in a real car.

#8 Gump

Gump

Paisty White

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Name:Russell
  • Car:LX SL hatch

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:07 PM

looking good, see your not holding back when it comes to getting the car happening looks good +A

#9 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:52 PM

Good work and Congratulations! Now you can go out and get some good pics to show us!

#10 _tweetytorana_

_tweetytorana_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:30 PM

Time to re-vamp this thread.

Original thread was here: http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=13149

As the pics seem to have vanished (oops - must've had a clean out at photobucket!)

Here was what the back seat looked like when I got Tweety back
Posted Image

The fabric was a F**d honeycomb velour fitted in 1995. The trimmer has long since retired and I have been seeking trimmers with any off cuts - but no luck so....... it's been a couple of years but we have a new trimmer in town and he was able to get a black honeycomb - pattern is just much finer and more plush. So this arvo he's fixed the ruined seat

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see by the top half of the seat it is fairly well faded so probably needed refreshing anyway.
Very glad he could re-use the vinyl as I can't get that anymore either (doesn't show up well in pics but is a motely beige/black pattern).

It was fairly important for me to keep it as close to the 1995 trim as possible as it's very sentimental to me (watched my dad do up cars for years, helped where I could, but this was my car but he helped with picking bits out etc - he been gone 10 yrs now and all his other works are long gone).

You can just make out the bottom of the door trims - think I'll leave them with the larger honeycomb as they're in good nick and not faded. Might make a good contrast.

Next job, top of back seat, new carpet, then velour in the buckets. But need a spot of welding done first (driver's floor pan) and spray up some more doors. LHR looking pretty sad!

#11 _tweetytorana_

_tweetytorana_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:33 PM

Oh, just to add that back seat with the battery acid got a hell of a lot worse even sitting in the shed.

Should've got a pic before it was ripped off - trimmer was pretty impressed LOL.

It ate right across the rear seat from where it started on the left!

#12 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:45 PM

I was wondering when I was gonna see Tweety on here! Good to see some progress Jo.

#13 _tweetytorana_

_tweetytorana_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:01 PM

On to tackling the rust and splits in the paint.

Worst bit of visable rust (floor pan under driver is the worst)
Posted Image

Roof doesn't have filler in it but has this 6" crack
Posted Image

And another one just beside the rear window
Posted Image

These are the 'stars' I'm talking about on the rear quarters (please excuse the daisy plant reflection)
I think these have been caused by having jacks, tyre lever, wheel braces etc stuffed down the sides of the boot with no protection
Posted Image

#14 _tweetytorana_

_tweetytorana_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:22 PM

To continue:

Under the windscreen
Posted Image

LHF guard - this is a concern as I know it has filler in this spot
Posted Image

LHR wheel arch, more concern as I *think* there is filler here
Posted Image

'star' that's prgressing to a zit
Posted Image

More stars, excuse the mud, council is doing roadworks
Posted Image

Last one
Posted Image

Will get onto a clean up of the ones the rust is starting in until I find someone to spray it. All we need a few nice days.

Sure works as an advertisment for garages! Six years out in the weather has done it no favours.

#15 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:26 PM

When you respray it, can you remove these! (Tail Light chrome surrounds!)

Posted Image

Grind off the metal clips that hold them on, and I can assure you, you will be much happier with the clean new look of the rear of your car!!!

Edited by MRLXSS, 16 September 2009 - 03:27 PM.

#16 _billywest_

_billywest_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:10 PM

To continue:

Under the windscreen
Posted Image

LHF guard - this is a concern as I know it has filler in this spot
Posted Image

LHR wheel arch, more concern as I *think* there is filler here
Posted Image

'star' that's prgressing to a zit
Posted Image

Posted Image

Last one
Posted Image

Will get onto a clean up of the ones the rust is starting in until I find someone to spray it. All we need a few nice days.

Sure works as an advertisment for garages! Six years out in the weather has done it no favours.

yeah yeah yeah jo heard it all before ,mud from the council hey and you were in old stompin grounds hey???? I bet this is how the story goes you were doin doughnuts in a park in the grass and mud in your old stompin grounds hey jo .SOUNDS LIKE THE TRUE STORY TO ME HA HA HA CHERS BILLYWEST p.s. no sorry you were doin figure 8 ,s heyPosted Image Posted Image Posted Image 3 cheers to you hey

#17 _tweetytorana_

_tweetytorana_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2009 - 01:37 PM

When you respray it, can you remove these! (Tail Light chrome surrounds!)

Grind off the metal clips that hold them on, and I can assure you, you will be much happier with the clean new look of the rear of your car!!!

I'm in two minds about it Matt. In the 90s I wanted them gone, (Dad talked me into keeping them when he caught me with a screwdriver levering one off), then I grew to like them, but they're rather second-hand looking these days. Everyone seems to be doing away with them so part of me thinks be different and keep them (& the sentimental side), but part of me is sick of the dents. Hmmmmm...will have to think about that (it's only taken 15yrs of thinking so far & I keep changing my mind.LOL)

To continue:

yeah yeah yeah jo heard it all before ,mud from the council hey and you were in old stompin grounds hey???? I bet this is how the story goes you were doin doughnuts in a park in the grass and mud in your old stompin grounds hey jo .SOUNDS LIKE THE TRUE STORY TO ME HA HA HA CHERS BILLYWEST p.s. no sorry you were doin figure 8 ,s heyPosted Image Posted Image Posted Image 3 cheers to you hey

BAHAHAHAHA Billy, If I were doing donuts there'd be a hell of a lot more mud on the car ;) and probably some grass in the rear bumper...not that I'm speaking from experience :innocent: :3gears:

Well so much for getting stuck into it today - have all I need besides an undercover area - it's piddling down agian, maybe tomorrow - otherwise it'll have to wait til TC's UC gets here. Bummer.

#18 _tweetytorana_

_tweetytorana_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:31 PM

Decided to have a look-see under a couple of the cracked bits and see just what I'm dealing with here.

Started with the roof, found a bit of bog, but underneath I was suprised to find it has been welded at some point....

Posted Image

Got this bit done in primmer today - finish that bit off over the weekend.

Under the tail light was solid metal - yay - with a weld
Posted Image
Posted Image

And under the windscreen might get a little scary - didn't dig any further into the bog just under the window seal - I'll look into that one next week
Posted Image

#19 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:55 PM

Can i offer a little advice here? If it will be a few weeks or more before the car itself will be resprayed, paint over any repairs/primer with a top coat such as flat black. Primer is porous as it's designed for the paint to 'soak" into it, so naturally it will soak moisture/water like a sponge & start the whole rusting process again.

#20 _tweetytorana_

_tweetytorana_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:08 PM

Can i offer a little advice here? If it will be a few weeks or more before the car itself will be resprayed, paint over any repairs/primer with a top coat such as flat black. Primer is porous as it's designed for the paint to 'soak" into it, so naturally it will soak moisture/water like a sponge & start the whole rusting process again.

Advice always accepted!

I planned to spray some antelope over the the areas to keep them 'safe'.

Any ideas on why the bit of bog I found would still be plyable, it was soft & shapeable, when the roof hasn't been touched since 1994? I found that odd. :dontknow:

The paint that chipped off the roof was at least 1/16", when looked at sideways it looked like it had a layer of glass on it. Never seen that before.

#21 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:11 AM

Yeah i've come across that with old repairs as well. Not to sure why it is like this on some, but not other repairs. From my understanding, bog essentialy is talcum powder with chemicals added to it. It could be the brand of filler used, it could've been over or under catalised when it was applied...it's a hard one to figure out. The rule i follow when using body filler is not to apply it too thick, 2-3mm once it's sanded back is OK, any thicker & it will crack & lift off over time, especialy on a large flat panel like a roof turret. Cleanliness when working with bare steel is important too. When doing any repair work like this or preparation, i wear latex gloves so i don't contaminate the repaired area. I also generally scrub any bare metal area with deoxidine just before i apply the filler. Try to avoid doing any work like this on humid days & if you are using compressed air, make sure you have a good water seperater/filter on your air line. I run a 10 metre line from my compressor to the filter, then another line from the the filter.

#22 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:26 AM

Its sad to see cars you have owned deteriorate like that.. Last time i saw a gemini i owned it had been torched.. Still gets you down..

#23 _tweetytorana_

_tweetytorana_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:22 PM

Its sad to see cars you have owned deteriorate like that.. Last time i saw a gemini i owned it had been torched.. Still gets you down..

I so understand that one :Mini - stripped & crushed, HR - stacked into power pole, Lancer - rolled 5 times, VL Commodore - smashed, VC Commodore - torched. Made me understand why my dad always said never sell your cars where you live. Think I got lucky this time!

#24 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:03 PM

Yeah i've come across that with old repairs as well. Not to sure why it is like this on some, but not other repairs. From my understanding, bog essentialy is talcum powder with chemicals added to it. It could be the brand of filler used, it could've been over or under catalised when it was applied...it's a hard one to figure out. The rule i follow when using body filler is not to apply it too thick, 2-3mm once it's sanded back is OK, any thicker & it will crack & lift off over time, especialy on a large flat panel like a roof turret. Cleanliness when working with bare steel is important too. When doing any repair work like this or preparation, i wear latex gloves so i don't contaminate the repaired area. I also generally scrub any bare metal area with deoxidine just before i apply the filler. Try to avoid doing any work like this on humid days & if you are using compressed air, make sure you have a good water seperater/filter on your air line. I run a 10 metre line from my compressor to the filter, then another line from the the filter.

Great Advice there! :spoton: Thanks!

#25 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2009 - 04:01 PM

The rust issue doesn't look to bad... as long as it gets tackled quickly it should come up nice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users