A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:21 PM

:clap:

Here we go again, Targa West is 3 weeks away and time for a quick update.

We had the car on the track yesterday for a shakedown and cobweb removal session. Thanks to Dave and Alex for a helping hand. Main task was to get some front end suspension info, confirm some rear end changes and check the vibration issue was cured.

Posted Image

By all accounts, people liked the sound of it all. (ask dave and alex)

We planned to be running the new Jongbloeds , but they didn't show up in time so we had to run with my 15 x 10 Hotwires and some 255 Yokohamas.
Short story, no traction.

Posted Image

Otherwise, minor carby issues still, we spent the day doing sponsor rides and basically making minor changes. Couldn't get enough grip out of the yokies to put any decent forces through the front.

Now that the new wheels have arrived, we will get some r spec rubber on them and do it all over again.

Posted Image

Welby

Edited by A9X, 08 August 2008 - 09:23 PM.

#2 _2wild4u_

_2wild4u_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:39 AM

good to hear mate, we have been flat out at work getting a few cars ready for the targa

#3 _the gts_

_the gts_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:50 AM

3 weeks away? what dates is it?

#4 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:19 PM

5- 7 September, fathers day weekend.

Hope to see you there.

Welby

#5 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:00 PM

WOO HOO mate!

Enjoy yourselves That's the main aim :)

#6 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:13 PM

Thanks big fella.

We are all keen.

Welby

#7 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:09 PM

So, as an update from the last thread (07)

We have made a number of minor changes over the last 6 months, mainly from the early shot on day 1 of the car downhill through a medium left hander.

Posted Image

We were very concerned with the left rear wheel stuck up in the air and the front right buried up in the guard.

Pics of the car at Bathurst didn't show any similar attitude to the car and the times were fine. Tyre wear fom Bathurst was excellent too.

So we swapped out the edelbrock adjustable rear arms and replaced them with bog stock standard UC top arms. Even left the rubber in.
Next change was to back off the rear sway bar to take some load off the front end.

We have pulled the front adjustable sway bar off, replaced the engine bay side skirts and constructed a small undertray.
A rear mount whiteline bar is currently under trial, but mounted quite low. Also we are having some custom made springs delivered this week. Still staying with the light poundage we have raised the height of the front of the car and change the rate of the springs.

A trip to the wheel aligners found the chassis mount point under the drivers feet was moving a little. We shaved the mounting tube a bit and have sorted that. Nothing else looked amiss.

Two small cracks were found in the lower mount plates on the diff for the lower arms, these were tig welded.

The brake pads were inspected when we pulled the front springs out, to find the passenger side was cracked from heat stress, the drivers side actually crumbling when we pulled them out. They were Pagids. I have replaced them with Bendix Ultimates for a try, but am up for other suggstions. (might start a thread).

A quick run at Barbagallo last week showed no change in feel to the brakes, but did seem to suffer from pad knock off more than i remembered.

The gearbox has been raised at the rear as far as possible to help with a vibration at high speed. Managed 180 Kph frequently approaching the final corner, with no detected vibration, so i guess we have got on top of that one.

Not a lot of useful info was achieved at the track, due mainly to the wheels not turning up in time for me to mount the race rubber. We ran on 255 Yokies, which were just not up to the task.

Finally, we have not sorted the Rochester yet.

Welby

#8 _scalpa1_

_scalpa1_
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:19 PM

Hi welby just reading bout your susp changes what lb,s front spring did you go to a few of the groupc boys run a bedford spring from kings whic sits them at a good height and is firm enough without having to go to a custom made springs this what you have fitted? i gather you suspect your pinion angle was is wrong to cause the vibration?
cheers mate and good luck with targa i reckon we will all be watching your progress.

#9 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:36 PM

Hi Tony.

Those bedford springs are really good for the circuit boys, they come in at around 1100lbs though. This is too stiff (IMO) for our bumpy back road goat tracks that we race on here.
I've got 800 's in at the moment and they are 1 inch lowered. We are going back to standard height with a change to the spring construction.

Yes we believed pinion angle was out, all things pointed to the gearbox needing to be raised.

Thanks for the luck, we'll take it.

Welby

#10 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:54 PM

The springs is a tough one, I started at 1200lbs, but when I did the 3 link rear end (similar idea to what Hatchy's mate is running). Had to stiffen up the rear, and soften the front to around 800lbs, also with the change to A048R took a fair bit of neg out as well.

Totally transformed the car, much better under power mid corner and exit which really helped the exit corner speed, didnt have enough track time (with that setup) to really get it right, but I know how I'll be building the next one..... :)

#11 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:58 PM

Mate I have the Bedfords and it bounces up and down easy....especially on the race truck I noticed...remember..they are progressive...My new pads are QFM 750...Qld Friction Materials..750 degrees...and bite COLD!!.. and I mean BITE!!...Just some more info....That pic of your fronts springs show they are loading up way too much...as you have already worked out.
R

#12 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:10 PM

Thanks Rory, wher do i get those pads, wouldn't mind a comparison.

Welby

#13 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:01 PM

On Ebay ...you might also get away with the 500 degree ones...or Google them...Glaobal Spares at Nreang on the Gold Coast but have distributors all states. GSL Rally are distributors..nice guys too.
http://www.gslrallys...h...dex&cPath=1
R

Edited by rorym, 12 August 2008 - 08:04 PM.

#14 _Baronvonrort_

_Baronvonrort_
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:13 AM

We have made a number of minor changes over the last 6 months, mainly from the early shot on day 1 of the car downhill through a medium left hander.

Posted Image

We were very concerned with the left rear wheel stuck up in the air and the front right buried up in the guard.

We have pulled the front adjustable sway bar off, replaced the engine bay side skirts and constructed a small undertray.
A rear mount whiteline bar is currently under trial, but mounted quite low. Also we are having some custom made springs delivered this week. Still staying with the light poundage we have raised the height of the front of the car and change the rate of the springs.

I cant judge a car from 1 photo and setup is always a compromise yet i think if you want to keep inside rear down on those corners you should increase front roll stiffness and since you want softer springs i would try stiffer on front sway bar or stiffer bushes in the middle where it mounts to crossmember,or if you have 4 way adjustable shocks then stiffer on slow bump and rebound.

For the front undertray it should slope at least 5-8 degrees up at the rear so the front tip is always lower than the rear and if the rear is lower it will produce lift instead of downforce and if you could make this so it extends back to near the rear of crossmember and and full width of front spoiler with cutouts to allow full lock with tyres it would be great and reduce drag as well.It will also strengthen front spoiler like putting a lid on a shoebox does.

Are alloy heads legal and if not you could always paint them to match engine for a handy weight saving at the front end.

Edited by Baronvonrort, 13 August 2008 - 11:14 AM.

#15 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:44 PM

Yeah on looking at that pic again I also noticed the left rear off the ground...are you running the big K MAC front bar or a Selby one? I hear the Selbys flex pretty bad on the lower brackets..might be something to look at but Baron seems on the money. Still think you need the stiffer front springs to stop that body roll. I am waiting on the pics from my first meeting in the LH so will flick you some of corner shots if they are relevant.
R

Edited by rorym, 13 August 2008 - 09:46 PM.

#16 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:35 PM

Whats happening Mark?
R

#17 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 August 2008 - 10:13 PM

Well i'm glad you asked.
Initial scrutineering today.

Swapped springs for some custom Quadrant springs. Chasing a raised ride height and increased spring rate.

Fail,
Dropped the car onto the front tyres. Don't know how they got that so wrong.
Dealer & i went over the measurements we sent and our numbers look good, so it's they're end.
Funny thing, when i unwrapped the springs , i noted they were only 5 coils and mentioned 'hope these work, don't look like they would hold up your ****.'

I have Dave's new King springs 1000 odd pounders here that we were using for a static comparison. They are shorter than my original Quadrants and also they are thinner in steel diameter.
So with an hour left before our booked slot, we swapped the second set of springs for the day, this time installing Daves for comparison.

End result, we couldn't run the Jongbloeds, they sit 30 mm out further than the Simmons and itr was just enough to foul the guard.

See here.

Posted Image

So we bolted the Simmons on and headed off to scrutineering.

Did take the car for a quick drive in the local area afterwards though. On smooth roads it was fine.
Just have to get the ride height up and sort out the wheel offsets at the front.

So it's back to the drawing board on monday.

And i must get Dave's springs back to him :spoton:

Welby

#18 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:52 PM

Jesus Welby...which Chinaman did you run over???...Get some top HQ insulators from SuperPro...the thick ones and put them under the tops of the springs..Just buy the farking Bedford front springs and put them in...the Jongblonegs..no idea...who did the offset measurements??..Hang and quater them...
R

#19 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:56 PM

How close to the factory undertray is the one you have built?
Have you put a cut-out in to suck air from the engine bay and create a vortex to suck the car down?

Hatchblack has a factory one, and I have two copies we made in light gal.

Grant..

#20 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:22 PM

How close to the factory undertray is the one you have built?
Have you put a cut-out in to suck air from the engine bay and create a vortex to suck the car down?

Hatchblack has a factory one, and I have two copies we made in light gal.

Grant..

Hi Grant, last time i saw a genuine undertray was 20 years ago.

We have a light alloy one that runs from the front corners of the spoiler (sitting up in the inside lip of the spoiler), under the brake ducts, back to the crossmember.
we have an exit for heat but the Barons comments a couple of posts up have me concerned.
Ours definately is on an angle from the spoiler down to the crossmember and i can't see how i could make it the other way. The crossmember is definately lower than the leading edge of the spoiler.

I'd love to see some pics of yours and i will post pics of mine shortly.

Rory
Sorry no chinamen or mirrors, just a good dose of motorsport mayhem.
I'm guilty of trying to improve on methods used in the seventies, and also focus the car on the rough targa special stages, not a smooth race circuit.
However, sometimes i'm trying to reinvent the wheel.(pardon the pun)

Craig measured the car himself and i'll leave him to review his figures and suggest where i'm at. I'm not convinced the wheels are totally wrong, especially as i'm comparing them to the simmons which we all know are custom made to suit the brakes, not the car's track or design. I think if the ride height was correct, we wouldn't be half way stuffed.

I have standard insulators already, which is another point..
May need your contact for those bedford springs.

Here is a photo of the 850 lb springs(old) and the replacement 900's.

Posted Image
Posted Image

You can see they are shorter even before we fit them.

Welby

#21 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:23 PM

As you said...u can see looking at them they are wrong......Just get the Lovells Bedfords...it wont be that harsh...they are progressive..Look at my 1160 lb Dobinsons...
R

Posted Image

Edited by rorym, 17 August 2008 - 09:26 PM.

#22 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:33 PM

Great thread, very interesting stuff. Best of luck with it all Welby.

Keep the blog entries coming along!

#23 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:52 PM

The factory tray bolts to the lower radiator support, the side splash guards and extends back to the crossmember.
It has a kick-out halfway back that is about 30deg down (?) and spans about 40% of the width of the tray.
As far as I know, it is level across the car.

Being up under the radiator, this would put it behind the spoiler already.
Three function I can see -
Channel all air through the radiator,
Move engine bay air rearward out of the bay, and
Stabilise airflow under the car.

Maybe Hatchblack can get a picture for us of an original on the car.

Grant..

#24 _Baronvonrort_

_Baronvonrort_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:35 PM

We have a light alloy one that runs from the front corners of the spoiler (sitting up in the inside lip of the spoiler), under the brake ducts, back to the crossmember.
we have an exit for heat but the Barons comments a couple of posts up have me concerned.
Ours definately is on an angle from the spoiler down to the crossmember and i can't see how i could make it the other way. The crossmember is definately lower than the leading edge of the spoiler.

Firstly i really enjoy reading about the efforts of you and Rory building and driving your Toranas in anger and appreciate you both probably have rules to abide by with your cars in the class you compete in.That said i am sure there is a fair bit of rule bending going on with most competitors.

I have done considerable research with aero with regard to under car flow which first started back in about 1995 when Ferrari released the F355 which had a full aerodynamic underbody and has a coefficient of lift of -0.24.The negative number means this car produces some serious downforce and it does it without drag inducing wings or front spoilers and this car probably has more downforce than a current V8 supercar.

The angle upwards to the rear of the front undertray should be a minimum of 4 degrees (max 15) to produce downforce and the only way i can see this working is either mounting the front spoiler lower or getting someone to make one that looks the same (legal?) just hangs a little lower to get this angle.Extending this undertray aft to about the sway bar mount on crossmember,keeping full width of front spoiler with cutouts to allow full lock with turning front wheels should reduce drag and increase negative lift.This works because you are smoothing out airflow and keeping it fast which gives you a low pressure area under the undertray (bernoullis priciple) and amount of downforce will be dependant on size of undertray,pressure =force x area.
Now the Torana has a blunt nose which makes it a high pressure area so adding a splitter that extends forward from leading edge of spoiler will exploit this high pressure area (high pressure directly above low pressure) and create even more downforce and length of splitter should not extend past stagnation zone.This might be a give away when the scruitineer bashes his ankle on it..lol.

A flat panel on the underside of the car will keep air velocity much higher(low pressure),reduce the size of the boundary layer and also offer significant reduction in drag and contribute to downforce,some smallish side skirts will also discourage air from entering this low pressure area under the car.

At the rear if you have a fuel cell in the boot like Rory a rear diffuser can be added very easily and vertical sideplates can clean up air from wheels/shocks from entering diffuser and 6-15 degrees is target slope and steeper diffusers have more downforce and more drag.If your drop tank was shaped like this it might help getting around rules if range is not compromised.If you have a front splitter/undertray a rear diffuser might be needed to keep car aero balanced.

The gains from cleaning up the underside to gain downforce also usually result in a significant drag reduction.Cars with smooth underbodies need fast airflow (low pressure) to produce downforce and cars with everything in the breeze try to minimise airflow to achieve low pressure under the car.One way gives reasonable ground clearance the other does not.

Then we have cooling system drag which is fairly complex so there are gains there as well with Toranas,nascar guys use grill tape as a crude method and maybe some panels from radiator support panel to grill can be used to minimse opening and these same diffuser principals along with bernoullis also apply here.Headlight covers are a good thing as well.

Then we have ventilation drag so windows closed and maybe tape up most of the vent opening at base of windscreen to reduce airflow entering car.

The lift to drag ratio with the Torana is not that good and lots of things that cant really be seen can improve it.

Sorry for the hijack and could you please post bigger photos as some run 1650x1050 desktop resolutions.

#25 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:55 PM

Remind me to talk to you Baron when I build the F5000! :clap:
R

Edited by rorym, 18 August 2008 - 05:55 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users