T5 gearbox into anLX

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _homer_

_homer_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:11 PM

G'day I currently have a 304 EFI and T700 in my LX Torana. I also own a VN V8 ute with a 304 and T5 manual.

My question is, - Is the T5 a relatively easy swap for the T700? without stating the obvious like flywheel clutch, etc.

I was thinking of taking the T700 out of the Torana and putting it into the VN ute. Leaving the manual to go into the Torana.

A bit of stuffing around I know. But I would much prefer a manual in the Torana rather than an auto.

I figure the VN came out with the auto anyways so it will be pretty straight fwd.

Cheers.

#2 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:33 PM

I have fitted a VP 3.8l V6 into my LX hatch back and the tunnel need quite a bit of work to get the box to fit.

I have heard that the ford t5 is shorter and fits better.

cheers

#3 _homer_

_homer_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:02 PM

what sort of work do you need to the tunnel? At present mine has already been modified on the passenger side. It has about an extra 2-3 inches clearance than standard.
cheers,

#4 _GMH355_

_GMH355_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:23 PM

This is a photo of a BW T5 in a LX. You can get an idea how much further back the shifter sits when compared to a M20/21. T5 was from a VS V8.

Posted Image

Edited by GMH355, 18 January 2009 - 06:25 PM.

#5 _homer_

_homer_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:50 PM

Cheers. The shifter does sit back it a bit eh. Is it uncomfortable to change gears though? being that close. or do you just get used to it?
I suppose you can make a bracket to move the shifter fwd a bit.
I have an auto at present so I have no holes in the floor as it is.

I'm just trying to find out as much as I can before I go ahead and pull the T5 out of the ute. I also have a VS V8 getrag at home and I was thinking of putting that into the ute when I take out the T5.
More stuffing around but I figure the VS ute is the same as a VG and the getrag was released in that model so it should fit straight in. then I'll just be left with the auto to get rid of.

I just had a closer look at the photo of the transmission tunnel and it seems a hell of a lot smaller than mine. I think mine must have been modified at some stage for a bigger box. I 'll take a photo tommorrow and put it up.

Edited by homer, 18 January 2009 - 09:53 PM.

#6 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:08 PM

hehe you could have a shifter like this couldn't you?
Posted Image

I don't know how well that would work going the opposite way to usual, but I like them on muscle cars. Seriously though I'd like to know too; is it uncomfortable to drive with the natural T5 shifter position?

Edited by Heath, 18 January 2009 - 10:10 PM.

#7 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:17 AM

I had to get the tunnel modified probably about 1inch or so right the way around. That photo above looks quite good, in a stock tunnel by the look of it. Yes the shifter sits back a little, I cannot say if its uncomfortable or not as I havent driven. I am also looking into buying a shifter with a dog leg to bring it forward a little if needed.

You may get away with it by the sounds of it, but you will need to cut it out to fit it length ways as shown in the photo above.

Cheers

#8 _GMH355_

_GMH355_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:33 PM

Homer and Heath, when I saw how far back the shifter was to standard I also thought it would feel uncomfortable to drive. Happy to say it was not uncomfortable and felt like you didn't have to reach forward to change gears. The shifter is basically in line with your knee if you are around average height. If you are below average height and you have your seat forward I guess it could be uncomforable changing gears.

Why don't you sit in your car and pretend the shifter is in the postion you see it in the photo, if you go through the shifting motion (when no-ones looking of course :huh:) you will get an idea how comfortable it will be.

I used the standard VS commodore shifter handle and it seemed to work fine. I should also add I used a CRS gearbox cross member.

Yeah youngy_11, that photo was taken in a LX with a completely standard (unmolested) tunnel besides the dirty big hole cut in the top :D.

#9 _homer_

_homer_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:37 PM

Cheers GMH355, thanks for the comments. I will have to guess on the seat location as I havn't got that far yet. I have seat rails but still no seats. I havn't found any I like yet.

Cheers

#10 _micksgtr_

_micksgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:29 PM

I've got a really good strong T5 and clutch for sale if your interested we can work out a deal,

Cheers

#11 _homer_

_homer_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:21 PM

cheers micksgtr. I was just going to take the T5 out of my ute and put the auto back in it. But what sort of price are you looking at??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users