ADJUSTABLE REAR UPPER REAR ARMS FOR LH-LX

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:59 AM

Hi everyone.

I saw on evilbay recently a pair of adjustable rear upper control arms for LH-LX Toranas. I didn't think much of it until I raced my LH at the forum meet last wendsday at WSID. Apart from traction issues due my choice of tyre, the car has some issues with the diff & rear suspension. Maybe the wrong pinion angle of the diff or such could be part of the problem. Anyhow I would be interested in any feedback regarding these parts & possibly a supplier I can purchase them off.

Cheers Matt

#2 _SableMet7/73_

_SableMet7/73_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:30 AM

Gday Matt,
Bought the McDonald Bros Racing upper arms not long ago
for my HQ & cost $315.00 + freight to WA ($25). My stock Q
arms look identical to the 1s in my LJ but dunno about LH/X.
Had a look at the Whiteline arms but prefered the look of the
McDonalds & found them really easy to deal with also found it
cheaper to buy direct.
Have a look at both McDonalds & Whiteline websites as theres pics
to check out & theres also a few threads on Adjustable Arms so
maybe do a search.

Cheers Jono

#3 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:16 PM

If you have standard Torana upper arm mounts on your diff then the Mc Donald Bros upper arms will not fit without modification. The Whiteline arms will fit on Torana mounts.

#4 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for the replys guys. I have standard control arms in my Torana that have been boxed. I don't want to modify the mounting points so the Whiteline arms are the more appealing ones to me. I will check their website out. Cheers Matt

#5 _SableMet7/73_

_SableMet7/73_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:34 PM

Found a pic of the McDonalds arms.

Gday Andy, how come the McDonald arms require a
mod on the Torana?

Attached Files

#6 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:41 PM

I have the Mc Donald Bothers arms, $520 for the set when I got them. They fit fine on my UC with factory diff. I use them for setting pinion angles and then use the measurement to get non-adjustable ones made to the correct length.

#7 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:51 PM

I still have an edlebrock set here if anyone is interested.

There is another thread, same subject, with pics around here somewhere

#8 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:41 PM

Pictures of McDonald Bros and Whiteline here.

Edelbrock Arms

#9 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:28 AM

I have McDonald Bros arms on mine $300 + postage.
The only thing that I can see that may need modifying is the bracket that mounts to the diff sometimes hits the diff mount when the suspension is fully compressed. My car is fairly low though and this probably wouldn't be a problem with standard height suspension.
All they need is a little notching around the bottom of the rear mount, I'll get around to it one day soon, not a major issue.

#10 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:29 AM

All they need is a little notching around the bottom of the rear mount, I'll get around to it one day soon, not a major issue.

Posted Image

Posted Image

You are correct the top diff mount requires notching so the arm can swing through full travel. The arm locks when the diff is about an inch off the bump stops. This is extremely dangerous even with standard height suspension and should be corrected before the car is driven.

There is a considerable amount of grinding required. You must ensure that the arms to not bind when the diff is jacked as high as it will go with the bump stops removed.

#11 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:25 PM

Looking at these pics I think these arms will fit my diff OK. It doesn't have the standard Torana top mounts welded to the housing, it looks like they cut & modified the bushed ends of a pair of lower arms to use as the mounting points.

#12 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:27 PM

Many diff conversions use boxed HQ trailing arms for the upper diff mount. The McDonald Bros arms are designed to be used with the boxed HQ trailing arm upper diff mounts.

#13 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:19 AM

Has anyone modified their McDonald Bros arms before? I started doing mine today, just not sure how much I need to remove.
This is what I've done so far...
Posted Image
Posted Image
I've dummy fitted them up and it looks like it should give enough clearance for full travel up to the bumpstops, but without dropping the springs out I can't be 100% sure.

#14 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:17 PM

Many diff conversions use boxed HQ trailing arms for the upper diff mount. The McDonald Bros arms are designed to be used with the boxed HQ trailing arm upper diff mounts.

^^^ Correct, my diff guy fits HQ mounts for this reason.
R

#15 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:45 AM

Has anyone modified their McDonald Bros arms before? I started doing mine today, just not sure how much I need to remove.
This is what I've done so far...
Posted Image
Posted Image
I've dummy fitted them up and it looks like it should give enough clearance for full travel up to the bumpstops, but without dropping the springs out I can't be 100% sure.

Ill be keen to see how you go with this , I have a set just waiting to go in and mine is pretty low so im sure i will definately have issues. It looks like you have ground as much as you can hopefully they will be ok.

I just returned a set of whiteline ones because even with them fully retracted they were still too long by heaps. Maybe they sent the wrong ones im not sure but the mcdonald bros ones seem to look a little more sturdy .

#16 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:55 AM

I have relieved them by aprox. 10-11mm already, and put a (aprox) 3mm chamfer the back edge. If I need to there is prolly another 4-5mm odd that could come off, but then I'd prolly be looking at V-ing out the bottom of the join and rewelding it as there would be no weld left across the bottom.
Anyone who has successfully done this before is welcome to chime in now... :huh:

#17 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:33 PM

Ive never done it,but I'd be tempted to cut the channel sections off the arms where they attach to the diff and make and reweld on new channel sections a little deeper so that there is clearance without grinding material from the arm.
Or you could cut a relief into the diffhousing brackets for clearance and weld in an infill section.
I wouldnt want to remove anymore material than you already have as you could make the arm weaker than a standard one.

#18 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:35 PM

Attached File  bracket.JPG   627.07K   21 downloads

Like this

#19 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:30 PM

yeah the whiteline ones are longer there

#20 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:00 PM

Ive never done it,but I'd be tempted to cut the channel sections off the arms where they attach to the diff and make and reweld on new channel sections a little deeper so that there is clearance without grinding material from the arm.
Or you could cut a relief into the diffhousing brackets for clearance and weld in an infill section.

Excelent ideas Wot! :clap: :spoton:
They're back in now so I guess I'll go and drive over a few speed bumps and check to see if they're still hitting.
I wish McDonald Bros mentioned this when I bought them, they sell them as a direct replacement for the standard arms which is misleading IMO. I might give them a ring if I have any more drama and see what they have to say for themselves.

#21 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:36 PM

Excelent ideas Wot! :clap: :spoton:
They're back in now so I guess I'll go and drive over a few speed bumps and check to see if they're still hitting.
I wish McDonald Bros mentioned this when I bought them, they sell them as a direct replacement for the standard arms which is misleading IMO. I might give them a ring if I have any more drama and see what they have to say for themselves.

Cool awaiting progress. Good luck

#22 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:23 PM

Squarepants, how did you go?

#23 _sshatch355_

_sshatch355_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:05 PM

was under mine today so thought id post pics of the rodtech upper arms. they fit perfectly no grinding or messing about and are very well made. not sure on current cost as these were brought a while ago

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.rodtech.com.au/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users