#1 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:37 PM

well guys my adult apprenticeship didnt work out!!! so im starting my own thing which i should have done in the first place!!!! working from home its doing engine bay restorations as i love clean engine bays i have attatched some of my previous jobs i have done for yous to look at!! first is an L34, second grandpa LH, third SLR/5000, fourth hk gts monaro so if your in s.a and thinking of getting it done drop me a line for a quote

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:41 PM

Nice work
I assume you have reference pics to go off

I'm doing a 6 cyl LH SL atm
Want to make it look as orig as possible for rego and drive around for awhile before it gets "Group C'd"
Got any pics of one of those ?... 6 cyl that is

#3 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:46 PM

Nice work
I assume you have reference pics to go off

I'm doing a 6 cyl LH SL atm
Want to make it look as orig as possible for rego and drive around for awhile before it gets "Group C'd"
Got any pics of one of those ?... 6 cyl that is

hey dattoman i will go through my pics and see what i have for ya m8 the LH SL 6cyl is pretty basic though very much what i did to the L34 and grandpa SL in the first and second pic including the colour scheme!!!

#4 _fatlh5000_

_fatlh5000_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:53 PM

I have seen your work in previous posts....and say.... GOOD LUCK, and Congratulations.

For taking the plunge and backing yourself.

Your work speaks for itself. You should do well.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

#5 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:09 PM

I have seen your work in previous posts....and say.... GOOD LUCK, and Congratulations.

For taking the plunge and backing yourself.

Your work speaks for itself. You should do well.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

cheers m8 :spoton:

#6 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:34 PM

All I can say is VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!! I love your work. I've tried to restore the engine bays on both my Toranas similar to what you've done. Here's a pic of my SLR, although I actually prefer looking at what you've done as I love the factory original look LH engine bay, which is why I want my new Torana to look more original without all the chrome & bling. May I ask what you used to restore the bonnet hinges, catch etc? Are they painted or zinc coated? Either way 10/10 for workmanship :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Posted Image

#7 benno81

benno81

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:05 PM

yeah some nice work there mate tell u take pride in ur work good luck mate hope it works out for u

I am doing an adult apprenticeship atm I get stuffed around alot I know where u are coming from

cheers benno

#8 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:17 PM

All I can say is VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!! I love your work. I've tried to restore the engine bays on both my Toranas similar to what you've done. Here's a pic of my SLR, although I actually prefer looking at what you've done as I love the factory original look LH engine bay, which is why I want my new Torana to look more original without all the chrome & bling. May I ask what you used to restore the bonnet hinges, catch etc? Are they painted or zinc coated? Either way 10/10 for workmanship :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Posted Image

LH SLR 3300 thanks for the feedback looking at your engine bay you also have done a great job!!!! the hinges and catches i have painted in silver with the springs redone in that matt off yellow colour!!! i have just had some hinges zinc plated for the hk monaro and they look great aswell!!! will post a pic of them when i put them on the car!!!

benno81 yeah the money was a big problem for me as having 4 kids and a wife to support makes an apprenticeship wage very hard my main problem was i wasnt really a 1st year apprentice as i have done mechanical all my life just never had the papers so for what i could do vs what i was gettn paid was a joke!!! when i was at trade school i was asked to teach the younger guys in the class as i was more of a second teacher in the class than a student!!! but when you make your boss lets say $2000 for the day and all he pays you is $80 its very hard to swallow and stay enthused!!!

#9 benno81

benno81

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:31 PM

yeah mate exactly right i was the same at tafe(trade school)
have done boilermaking all my life and same thing showing alot of 15 / 16 yrs olds how to do a verti up
atm I am out of work on stand down as they say because no one atm wants to pay the $28 an hr the labour hire company charges
but yet out of that $28 i get a misely $14 p/hr
my kids and mrs are really suffering atm so I have no other choice but to find something else to do

#10 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:19 PM

I know where you guys are coming from. I started my panel beating apprenticeship at 26. I went from earning over $450 net a week as a labourer to under $200. To earn any extra cash I had to do rust jobs on the weekends. I guess that's why so few people actually take adult apprenticeships on, the wages are a joke & not much more than what a 16 year kid who still lives at home gets paid. It doesn't help that the insurance companies are only paying $30ph.

#11 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:09 AM

bullit, mate you do great work i hasve seen this in person and if you where near me i would have no problems taking you in at gongs garage.
second i dont want to upset you fellars benno,bullit, lhslr3300, but i have 2 people here the first is a 51 year old and there is nothing he cnt do with panel and paint, he is on 35ph, and his 28 year old app takes 27 ph, but in sayin this it want last forever 12 months max, then its buy, sell, stock and play.

i tell you what we need is a set up where you roll in 1 side of a restore factory and out the other side all finished, many of times i would have paid top dollar to have a car restored, but the paint shops want give you a time [deadpoint] i mean thay tell you 3months and 18 months later your pulling the thing out of there, i think most people would pay the top dollar if you said i gareteee that that car will be ready on this day,
anyway thats the dream

cheers gong

#12 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:12 AM

Great work mate!

I agree with Gong, I actually did a business plan in uni, about a full classic car restoration business. It seemed viable, but only problem is, startup...

It's all about the experience... People are happy to pay if the experience is quick, easy and minimal headaches...

By the looks of it Bullit, you work fast, professional and do an awesome job! Its what people want!

#13 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:40 AM

cheers guys!!!

MRLXSS thanks you for the support m8 im stepping out on a limb here so its good to get positive feedback!!!

benno81by the sounds of it most adult appreticeships dont last!!! in my year and a half doing it i think out of the 7 adults that started with me i was the last one there at trade school all the others quit!!!

LH SLR 3300 thanks for the input m8!!!

gong thanks i would love to work for ya m8 if only i lived near ya!!!!!

Edited by bullitljv8, 28 July 2009 - 11:43 AM.

#14 _Gunmetal LH_

_Gunmetal LH_
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:01 PM

Nice work, best of luck.

I did what's now called an 'adult' mechanic apprenticeship at a Holden dealership several years ago- what a waste of time for crap money. (Only my opinion) I learnt nothing I didn't already know. Mind you IF you like getting into the nitty-gritty of engine computers and their interface with body control modules etc. you will nowdays LOVE it! (Go and play with some jap or euro cars and you'll see you need to know this now) I'm of the old-school mechanics that would like to fix it, not plug a scan tool in say "yep that's broke" and replace an assembly. I'll stop there before I get nasty...

#15 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:03 AM

Well done. Good luck with your venture.

#16 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:49 PM

That's a damb shame you couldn't see it through to get that qualification Daz. Can fully understand why thou.
All the best with it, and anyone who uses your services will not be disapointed.

You should post something in the S.A section and in the business section as well.

#17 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:57 PM

That's a damb shame you couldn't see it through to get that qualification Daz. Can fully understand why thou.
All the best with it, and anyone who uses your services will not be disapointed.

You should post something in the S.A section and in the business section as well.

thanks hatchman i will do that!!!!

#18 _soss_

_soss_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:43 AM

your attention to detail is awsome daz,,the picks are recomendation enough but to any one out there wanting an engine bay resto i and many others i know woodent trust our pride and joy to anyone els !! :clap: :clap: atb m8 :spoton:

#19 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:43 AM

Good luck with the new venture Daryl. I'm sure once you spread the word, work will come to you.

Just a few suggestions which may help you.

Don't just limit yourself to engine bays, perhaps consider boots and undercarriages as well.

Also do some networking (you probably used local people on your cars and know who's good) and look at project management of car restorations.

And when you become rich and famous, remember your friends on the forum,

Regards,

Mick.

#20 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:26 AM

soss cheers m8 we will do nanna soon!!!

lxsstorana yeah i can do the undercarriages and boots no probs lol about rich n famous m8

#21 _exyou1_

_exyou1_
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:01 PM

Great to see daryl your attention to detail is a true testament to your love for these old girls. Its a market that hasn't really been done
and hope it all goes well for you. If there is anyone out there that is thinking of getting daryl to do there engine bay I have seen his work first hand and it is second to none

#22 _egr_

_egr_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:34 PM

hi mate, great work!!! approx what would it cost to do these? how long would you need to have the car?

#23 Loui

Loui

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:44 AM

Hey mate

This shop opened a few months back near my place

http://www.classican...lassicandmuscle

Maybe take ya resume down there, would be a sweet place to work.

I drive past each day on the way to work and have seen a Valiant coupe and a HT sedan being dropped off just this week, also saw a part finished gt coupe out the back.

Looks like they have a heap of work on and may be a option for a man with your skills.

Cheers

Loui

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users