positioning your baster coil and 6AL

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 _SSbloke_

_SSbloke_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:01 PM

where is the best to put your blaster 3 coil and 6AL i have seen some 6al put on the passengers side under the glove box on the fire wall which looks pretty neat does this have any drawbacks and where is a good place for the coil . any advice will be much appreciated

#2 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,160 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:50 AM

The box is noisy, so don't put it inside if you have a street car.

My coil is on the firewall, and the box behind the driver side headlight (charcoal canister relocated to underneath, in front of wheel):

Posted Image

Posted Image

The wiring has since been tidied up

Edited by 76lxhatch, 27 January 2010 - 06:51 AM.

#3 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:09 AM

I extended the wires and put it in the hatch as i found it to be too noisy in under the glove box. I left the coil under dash on the fire wall.

Ev

#4 _SSbloke_

_SSbloke_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:41 PM

ok so the Digital ignitions make a bit of noise? thanks for the tip and by the way ive did mean blaster not baster coil ive noticed the heading of this post.

#5 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:43 PM

what kind of a noise is it? like a buzzing? do they cause interference with stereo's? im looking for somewhere to stash mine in the ute

#6 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:02 PM

Yeah it is a buzzing I suppose, quite harsh almost a really fast ticking. Shouldn't get any interference.

The MSD 6A/6AL are not digital, I don't know whether the digital versions also make noise.

#7 _SSbloke_

_SSbloke_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:17 PM

have been reading about fuel pump systems on how the further away from the power source theres a chance its not getting the full power volts wise . if you put the 6al in the boot the same pricipal would apply wouldnt it? as i am rerouting the brake lines myself im thinking of putting it on the passenger side above where the crossmember bolts on there wouldnt be to much heat there would there? and its all nice and close to get the full effect of the spark?

#8 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:58 AM

MSD claims that they operate right down to about 5V but one would have to assume that the spark is somewhat diminished. You could just run a bigger cable to compensate, if I recall correctly the instructions that come with even have recommendations for wire gauge and distance.

Lots of people put them in the engine bay without heat issues, the only thing they specify with mounting is to keep them somewhat upright to avoid any moisture collecting inside the container.

#9 _SSbloke_

_SSbloke_
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:20 AM

MSD claims that they operate right down to about 5V but one would have to assume that the spark is somewhat diminished. You could just run a bigger cable to compensate, if I recall correctly the instructions that come with even have recommendations for wire gauge and distance.

Lots of people put them in the engine bay without heat issues, the only thing they specify with mounting is to keep them somewhat upright to avoid any moisture collecting inside the container.

thanks for that, i reckon i will run it on the passenger side of the engine bay

#10 _RLH308_

_RLH308_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:26 PM

I am still in the progress of fitting all mine up but I have mounted my MSD 6a in the glove compartment on a sheet of alloy. Of course I had to do away with the box itself but I still have centre console to chuck stuff in. I have just worked out that I can mount the coil on the underside of the alloy plate and with the help of an MSD firewall feed have solved the problem of where I was going to mount it in the engine bay. I don't know if it will be noisy, but the exhaust note will soon drown that out anyway!!!! It suits my needs anyway, less in the engine bay and you wont be able to see it inside either, unless you poke your head under there anyway!

It's another option for you anyway.

#11 _Torana308_

_Torana308_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:42 PM

My car had the coil under the dash and used one of thise firewall feed throughs, I had two crack right down the sides allowing it to arc to the body. I moved my coil to the engine bay now.

#12 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:57 PM

the digital ones should not make any noise at all........ i think the 7 series msd's are digital....

#13 _L32M20_

_L32M20_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:52 PM

My car had the coil under the dash and used one of thise firewall feed throughs, I had two crack right down the sides allowing it to arc to the body. I moved my coil to the engine bay now.

can you tell me the effect of this arc ing out on body,did it damage the msd , coil or paint work? and was the car undrivable,like did you break down somewhere?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users