#1 blake

blake

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Name:Blake

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:07 PM

hey my names Blake and im 15 years old. i have just started to restore my lc torana that we bought with my dad when i was 12. over the past few years we have been gathering all those rare and hard to get parts like the triples, spoiler and big tank. ive started with the engine bay by stripping it back to bare metal and smoothing it out. i recently finished putting in the xu1 battery tray thanks to some members from the forum that supplied measurements and pics so i could dummy it all up and and put it in. i have take some pics to post of this work. i will keep use updated as i go along with my build. cheers Blake

the car
Posted Image

primered engine bay half rubbed down
Posted Image

battery tray ready to go in
Posted Image

painted underneath before it goes in to protect it
Posted Image

underneath the battery tray was orginally rusted to peices so we cut and refabricated a section and welded it into place. turned out very good and dad did a good job
Posted Image

painted and ready to weld battery tray into place. the little square and unpainted bit is where i put sticky tape so that the welder wouldnt arc out against the paint
Posted Image

tray welded in and ready to be cleaned up, rubbed down and painted, along with the rest of the engine bay.
Posted Image

would like to put this engine in my car that dad bought but on my Ps i could bet the webers arnt cheap on fuel or easy to tune so ill stick with the original 150 strombergs. and go for the original look.
Posted Image

this was taken when i first got the car. we got the engine running. was hell tired and i got a vk dizzy into it and put the triples on to keep fuel through them and to tune them
Posted Image

after we put the flutes in and got the globes on
Posted Image

and my torana the day we got it home. i was hell excited
Posted Image

Posted Image

if theres anyone with any questions or comments about my car. please post and i will answer anything i can for ya. cheers

Blakey

#2 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:11 PM

Great to see
Especially a father and son project
And looks like you picked up a 2 door before the prices went thru the roof

Keep the momentum up
And keep the pics and info flowing

#3 blake

blake

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:19 PM

ye we got it just as the "boom" began. we got it for a very reasonable price now that i think about it. im very lucky to have such a car with all the valuable xu1 parts that go with it. cheers dattoman and thanks for the comment

#4 Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts
  • Name:Jonathan
  • Car:VH Commodore

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:12 AM

This should be a great little car when finished, I bet you'll have the best car of all your mates on Ps! Keep us updated.

#5 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:03 AM

Well done Blake is this your first car??I had to go through 3 cars before I got my first Torry.
Keep up the good work it will be all worth it at the end.
cheers Dane

#6 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:30 AM

Great car Blake. :spoton:

Fantastic father and son project and I'm sure all your mates will be very jealous.

Congratulations,

Mick.

#7 Zook

Zook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:17 AM

You're making great progress there Blake, great work. Top colour choice too!! Is Linamint the original colour?

#8 _luv the uc_

_luv the uc_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:23 AM

Great poster on the cupboard in the backround. :blink2:

#9 _gibbo88_

_gibbo88_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:04 AM

that is a great looking xu1 it looks in very condition, has it been under shelter the hole three years you have had it? nice look engine i love the tripple webbers, just from seeing that i wanna get some my self, keep up the good work!!!

#10 _manderin_red_slr_

_manderin_red_slr_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:37 AM

sick

#11 meanmachine72

meanmachine72

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts
  • Name:Jono

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:38 AM

great first car blake..mine was a mazda 1500 :dontknow:
good to see father and son going hard at it..glad those pics helped
you mate,keep those pic coming....

#12 _scottya!_

_scottya!_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:43 PM

Good looking car Blake ! You will be the envy of all your mates, keep up the good work and take heaps of pics. You can never take too many. Cheers scott

#13 blake

blake

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:03 PM

cheers for the comments fellas. funny enough this is actually my second torana. the first one we had was pretty bad body wise. so we did the engine bay primered the car. put blackouts onto it and sold it off to look for a better one. this torana we bought buy accident on evilbay a few years ago. we placed a bid and dad said theres no way will get it. and guess what? we did. dad was outside and i went out there jumping in joy saying "we one it!" his like laughing sayin no way. then we had to drive to melbourne to pick it up lol. there was some things the seller didnt tell us about that we wernt happy about . but thats life. yes the torana has been kept in the shed all three years because it is my absoloute pride''n"joy lol. but i think ill be driving another torana when im on my Ps. its a lovely 60,000 original miles torana. its a metallic brown silver rims and gtr centre caps,4 door SL with absolutely mint interior. the body has NO rust what so ever and is one of the cleanest original toranas ive seen. it drives like a dream aswell. and i love taking photos of both the toranas. cheers Blake

#14 lcgtr1970

lcgtr1970

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Name:Jordan

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:14 PM

nice looking project mate...once this is finished you will be able to pimp the girls out...thats how many will be throwing themselves at your car! :rockon:
i wouldve loved a first car like this! keep the updates coming...ill be watching this thread.
cheers

#15 blake

blake

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:31 PM

Hahaha. thats a funny comment. hopefully linamint stands out. thats why i love the colour. and because its purely awesome!

cheers Blakey

#16 blake

blake

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:46 PM

that is a great looking xu1 it looks in very condition, has it been under shelter the hole three years you have had it? nice look engine i love the tripple webbers, just from seeing that i wanna get some my self, keep up the good work!!!

For anyone interested. this engine will be coming up forsale for those who are interested. its a 186P block. i believe it has a crow cam. the biggest hydraulic you can get. wich i believe is the 35802 number. the webers have been tuned to the motor just before we bought it wich was around two months ago. should go very hard. reason for seling is no car to put it in and have no room left in shed. any questions get back to me. cheers Blakey

#17 _GTRToranaRacing_

_GTRToranaRacing_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:52 PM

Good work blake, im a 14 years old and i have two torana, i am now racing my GTR 2 Door thanks to my step dad Posted Image i love toranas, i like the job you did with your car, keep it up its good to see other kids out there : )> great work mate takecare, and keep it touch about your cars. : )

#18 blake

blake

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:06 PM

excellent to here matee. im just about to go back outside coz ive been rubbing down all day inside the engine bay. ive just cleaned it all with dulux tack rags now its ready for another coat of undercoat. then a last check of smoothness and rubbed back. then the completion of satin black. cheers ill upload some pictures either tonight or tomoro of the work. cheers

Blakey

#19 blake

blake

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:56 PM

heres some photos of what i completed today. just a before and after of the battery tray side coz its easier and quicker to upload. cheers

before:

Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

and because im on photobucket, heres a photo of the gtr dash and wheel: cheers hope ya like it.

Posted Image

the tank in the boot. and its an original! cant believe they make repro ones now. everyone will just think its a repro tank if they see it in my boot. coz they were very hard to find! and this in very good condition with the baffle. cheers

Posted Image

cheers

Blakey

#20 _GTRToranaRacing_

_GTRToranaRacing_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:19 AM

hi blake,
its looking really good,
are you going to paint the hole outside ?
keep us updated with pictures and info.
you will be very happy when its all finshed,
takecare mate
Regards Jesse,

#21 blake

blake

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:51 PM

yes jesse. im doing a full nut and bolt restoration. i wish to finish it in linamint=limegreen with xu1 blackouts. basically a complete xu1 as close as i can get it. apart from the ID tags, it should look better than some genuine XU1s, hope to get it finished by probly next year sometime. and that rally comment was fairly cheeky of you lol ahahahaha. but i saw the funny side of it. although i want to race group NC xu1s. i think that would be awesome to drive in the same style as the late great Peter Brock! but have a few extra Horsepower!. haha. keep up the racing champ! that broken leg getting better? cheers

Blakey

#22 _GTRToranaRacing_

_GTRToranaRacing_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:57 PM

hi blakey lol i was hoping you would see the funny side, nah your car is looking really good, and i cant wait to see it painted, by the sounds of things its going to be a good show car. i am having a operation wednesday on my leg and getting plates put in, so yeah not good but thats life, you will have to bring the car down to a show down here when its finshed so we can catch up
takecare mate
regards Jesse,

#23 blake

blake

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:52 PM

cheers for the comments.

Blakey

#24 xu1kid

xu1kid

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Name:anthony
  • Car:lj gtr xu1

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:15 PM

good stuff mate keep up the good work

#25 blake

blake

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:54 PM

hey, just a quick update. spent all weekend stripping the front crossmember, taking out every bolt out so that i can get them cav plated and once i got it all bare, i spent all day on a wire brush and also had a wirebrush attached to the drill. there was crap goin everywhere but in the end it came good and is now at the sandblasters getting sandblasted, should be ready for pick up tomorow, and then i can put all the nolathane bushes in and the lowered springs, new ball joints, reco steering rack and new rotors and reconditioned calipers

here are some pics i took before it was off to the blasters>
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users