• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:06 AM

Revved up - Council gone too far
Kylie | 20th July 2010

Posted Image ANGRY: Shane Arnold with the car he is rebuilding at his home.

AN afternoon spent tinkering with a car is a hobby many people indulge in.

But for Shane Arnold, this hobby nearly resulted in a fine of thousands of dollars.

The Heritage Park resident, who describes himself as a bit of a handy man, recently received a visit from a council employee who told him he could receive a fine between $2000 and $5000 for re-building a car in a shed on his property.

What's more, when Mr Arnold questioned the legislation, he was told it had been in place since 2006.

"I'm just speechless," he said.

"It's getting beyond a joke.

"There would be thousands of people re-building cars in Logan."

Mr Arnold said he was told that not only was he not allowed to build a car on his own premises, but beyond checking tyre pressure and windscreen wiper blades, car owners needed to either go to a mechanic, or move their cars to an industrial area and work on them there.

"I am sure no one knows (about this)," he said.

The Reporter contacted Logan City Council about this issue, and was told the council responds to complaints lodged by complainants, and in this instance it was made in relation to vehicle repairs as they do cause environmental issues such as noise and smell.

A Logan City Council spokesperson said the Logan City Planning Scheme 2006, table 3.2.11 stated development ensures that a motor vehicle is not repaired on the premises, unless the repairs are day-to-day maintenance, and the vehicle is owned by the occupier of the premises and is normally parked on the premises for their use.

"The use of the premises for an industrial use, namely vehicle repairs including panel beating, spray painting and repairs other than that of day to day maintenance is unlawful on a residential premise," the spokesperson said.

"For day to day maintenance it is as detailed in any vehicle manual and is limited to checking oil, water, air and making minor repairs like changing a windscreen wiper or bulb to ensure the safe operation of a vehicle."

The spokesperson said the Sustainable Planning Act 2009, which replaced the Integrated Planning Act 1997, has also empowered councils to issue penalty infringement notices (PIN) for specific offences as detailed in the Act.

"While council does not issue fines in the first instance, show cause or enforcement notice procedure is followed and there is a specific offence for failing to comply with an enforcement notice which provides for PIN amounts of $2000 for an individual or $10,000 for a corporation," the spokesperson said.

"Council also has the provisions of Local Law 10 - Public Health which can also be used where there is a nuisance caused by the release of odours, gases fumes, particulates or other atmospheric pollutants to the atmosphere which has the potential to cause environmental harm or nuisance (Spray Painting), harm to human health, safety or personal injury, property damage or loss of amenity, where there is the potential for a $500 Penalty Infringement notice to be issued.

"However, council would expect that any reasonable person would comply with a direction from council, whether it be verbally or through the notice process, to ensure that the activity, is not affecting the neighbouring environment."

from The Reporter, 20/07/2010
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a crock of shit - the intent of the rule is to not allow people to run businesses from home/unsuitable premises, not to stop someone restoring a car. Biggest load of rubbish from the worst SEQ council I have yet seen. And that includes leading an uprising against BCC for illegal parking fines........

Grant..

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:30 AM

Sounds like he really upset someone, none of my neighbours would put me in like that.

#3 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

"The use of the premises for an industrial use, namely vehicle repairs including panel beating, spray painting and repairs other than that of day to day maintenance is unlawful on a residential premise," the spokesperson said.

but its not an industrial use...if its for his private use...its private...I don't think he would have too much trouble proving that...the problem would be, who do you have to prove it too?

#4 _connors_

_connors_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:54 AM

Posted Image
Sounds like a typical day in Logan City Council area.

#5 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:05 AM

someones not "lovin life" !!

#6 _dickiep_

_dickiep_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:15 AM

i might understand if someone was running a car business out of their backyard rather than someone with a hobby tinkering on weekends.

any idea of what car it is? looks nice!

#7 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:08 PM

Very sad.

#8 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

someones not "lovin life" !!

Not for a long time Adam - after councillors gave themselves three pay rises in 12 months, it was time to get some hate on.

Exactly Fast - if you're not running a business then where is the harm. Spraying 2-Pac in your backyard is illegal anyway :D

I believe the car is a Q-ee or close relation with a tunnel ram.

Loagn, now the largers City Council area in SEQ has by far the largest proportion of Hotrodders, Streetmachiners and Drag Racers in all of SEQ.
Unfortunately it also has the most wankers and deadshit politicians........

Grant..

#9 ReplicarSLR

ReplicarSLR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Car:Not anymore unfortunately

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:31 PM

But it's ok to renovate your house or funiture, mow the lawn etc but hese also make noise and releases odours, gases fumes, particulates or other atmospheric pollutants to the atmosphere !!!!

#10 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:45 PM

Complete gimps, what the frOck is happening in our society?

any idea of what car it is? looks nice!

I'd say Torana/Kingswood judging by the bonnet hinges? Something with a bug-catcher...

#11 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:09 PM

Attached File  SKMBT_C451 10072113040.jpg   308.36K   126 downloads

#12 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,281 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:13 PM

Christ!!!......I hope our local council doesn't follow suit!

#13 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:43 PM

LJ torana :)

where the battery tray would normally be, it has the little triangle bumps.

#14 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:57 PM

I agree! look where the Brake booster is located in relation to the Hinge! LC/LJ!

What a crock of shit though! Typical councils throwing their weight.

#15 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:03 PM

Must...

Not....

Comment....

#16 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:05 PM

Pretty silly rule, but i think i'd probably complain too if my next door neighbour was spraying cars in his garage as well..the fumes from paint and primer are pretty strong, its the sort of job where you really need acreage and a shed away from your home and your neighbours houses to perform that sort of work without pissing anyone off.

Edited by AD_75, 21 July 2010 - 05:05 PM.

#17 UCSLE

UCSLE

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Name:troy
  • Car:Goggomobil

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:21 PM

You would probably have the same rules/laws in most concils,we got told about 15 years ago that we could not work on cars other than change oil and stuff.

#18 _2DR_

_2DR_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:42 PM

bloody council sounds similar to my dramas a few months back with a sook neighbour was told i cant do anything but have been back in the shed going at it and all is well if someone complains thats when it hits the fan.

also working in the building industry i can work from 7 to 7 mon to sat onsite and make as much noise as i want but i cant do a little tinkering at home wtf and the home renovations are fine too double wtf :dontknow:

the problem is old fart burocrates (spell check) making up stupid rules to support their pay packets and we are easy targets being the hoon hooligans we are :Headbang2: :surrenderwave:

#19 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:29 PM

Pretty silly rule, but i think i'd probably complain too if my next door neighbour was spraying cars in his garage as well..the fumes from paint and primer are pretty strong,

...right

What do you do in your back yard? Trim the roses and watch the grass grow?

#20 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:35 PM

Pretty silly rule, but i think i'd probably complain too if my next door neighbour was spraying cars in his garage as well..the fumes from paint and primer are pretty strong,

...right

What do you do in your back yard? Trim the roses and watch the grass grow?

I definitely don't spray cars in my backyard, i have access to a proper booth and workshop for that. I do, do mechanical work all the time though hence why i said the rule is silly. :P

#21 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:53 PM

Okay fair enough. I think a line really needs to be drawn between acrylic and 2k, AFAIK one is legal and one is not.

I would be pretty cut if one of my neighbours complained about me painting acrylic

#22 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:04 PM

It is just at odds with the states Special Interest Vehicle Scheme which is aimed at promoting the retention of old muscles cars etc.

So we can have them, we just can't work on them..........

Grant..

#23 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:04 PM

Okay fair enough. I think a line really needs to be drawn between acrylic and 2k, AFAIK one is legal and one is not.

I would be pretty cut if one of my neighbours complained about me painting acrylic

I"m not having a go at ya, but personally i"m not really worried about breathing in a bit of crap from paint/primer/dust fumes ect..its my family that i worry about which is why i wouldn't appreciate it if old mate next door decides he wants to start painting his car. I don't know where you live heath but here i cant even fart without sending it over my neighbours fence. All homes in this suburb are way too close together to really be a suitable automotive spray painting area, and yes 2K has a really bad pong..but if you've never been around acrylic automotive paints before i'd doubt you'd think it was a pretty smell either if it comes wafting over the fence and into your home. The smell of it is only one of a few issues, but anyway like i said earlier i"m not against people that have bigger acreage blocks that wanna build a booth or a titan out back to spray in, at least in properties like that you've got a bit of room for stuff like that without hopefully annoying your neighbours.

#24 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:17 PM

Yeah I don't disagree with the vast majority of what you're saying. The houses here are uncomfortably close as well but I've never had a problem with putting up with any of the work that my neighbours have done/had done and they haven't complained about the stuff that I've done either. As I said in another thread a while ago, maybe I'm just lucky that the people who live around me aren't pricks, and both of the houses next-door to me have residents who have an interest in seeing people "doing things". Seems unusual these days

#25 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:27 AM

what kind of silly prick paints 2p in his backyard.... :P

I wouldnt go painting a whole car in 2p, in my backyard, but I may or may not have painted front aprons, wheels, bonnet hinges, tailgates etc etc :D

Ive got 7ft high colourbon fences, seems to catch all the fumes and I dont paint on windy days (thats just silly)

I have on the other hand primered the ute and another couple cars in my back yard.

Lucky one set of neighbours are only home like one night a week (Weirdos) and the others were pot heads, their fumes used to overpower the paint! and Id rather smell paint than pot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users