Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Car:LX 4dr 383, TKX, BW

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:40 PM

G'day all,

I recently posted a question on whether or not you can slot a connected 304i and T5 into a LX in one go, and proved that indeed you can, however the first time I had the engine sitting on the mounts, I noticed the gearbox was pointing to the passenger side. Quite a lot. It was the second and third time I tried re-fitting the engine too, as I was thinking I had something skewing it that way. Before I set a few new world swearing records installing it a fourth time (the most in one minute, the most colourful, the most frequent, etc), I had a good look at the crossmember and it finally clicked that the crossmember mounts weren't factory, someone had welded them on. Not only that, but the drivers side mount was sitting an inch shy of the front of the plate, whereas the passengerside was flush. Jee-zuz.

Attached File  _DB_8155.JPG   1.25MB   7 downloads

Before I go any further, could you guys please help me to:

1. Identify the crossmember (the car was orginally a four cylinder Sunbird, however I thought it is the same crossmember)Attached File  _DB_8151.JPG   1.31MB   6 downloads
2. Explain why someone would do this (it did have a 350 Chev block sitting in it when I bought it)
3. Tell me if the fix I have decided on - having someone re-weld the driver's side mount in the correct position - is the best option and
4. If anyone knows a trustworthy welder in the Hornsby NSW area who could do a good job.

Sooo glad I wanted to fit everything up and get it running before I touched the paint... Thanks in advance.

#2 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:17 PM

It appears to be the factory cross member for a four cylinder Opel engine, these had differing mounts to Starfire four, six and eight cylinder engines.

The best fix would be to get the correct cross member. Having the mounts re-welded may work, but having seen the crummy adapters that Rare Spares sell, there isn't quite enough space available to do it properly without cutting a bit more out of the original mounts. Someone who knows what they are doing could easily replicate the correct/original mounts after cutting the existing ones off completely - that may be a good option, see if you can find a photo or I will take one for you tomorrow.

#3 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:22 PM

The LH/LX/UC 4 cyl Starfire, 6 cyl and V8 k-frames are all basically the same. The only significantly different k-frame is the one used with the Opel 4 cyl which has different engine mounts. It looks like you have a modified opel 4 cyl k-frame.

Pictures from parts manual.

The bracket in view A is welded to the k-frame for the Starfire 4 cyl, 6 cyl and V8.
Posted Image

Bracket part #7 in this picture is welded to the k-frame to mount the Opel 4 cyl motor.
Posted Image

#4 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:48 PM

opel fronts are an inch wider across the mounts...and are the front end you need for a 350 install...solution is just get another front end

#5 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:32 PM

It's been said before, but I'll say it again - this forum rocks!

Thanks fellas, though it wasn't the news I wanted, re-welding would have been cheaper. Maybe. If anybody has a V8 crossmember for sale please PM me, I'll hit up EvilBay and keep an eye out on the For Sale section of the forum. My wife has our third on the way, and I need the running gear in and going before the new addition arrives and removes any skerick of spare time I have left... :-)

Thanks again.

Oh, and I now have a good crossmember for sale to suit a 350 Chev install... :-)

#6 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:30 PM

It is a whole lot easier if you just cut the Opel mounts off & weld on some 6cyl mounts.

You don't even need to remove the x-member.

Posted Image

#7 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:18 AM

^ That's exactly the kind of pic I was talking about, can't be too hard to chop the old mounts off and fabricate some new ones in the correct style. Depends how cheap you can get your hands on another cross member though

#8 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:07 PM

Ok, sounds like I have two options. I am going to go for both, and whichever works out first i'll go for. Typically, I can't find a suitable crossmember anywhere when generally they are relatively common, but will keep an eye out. Rare Spares the best place for engine mounts? Will ring them tommorrow. Pretty sick of the engine NOT being in the car... To make up for this hassle, I stripped, primed and primer filled my brake booster instead.

Mild relief. :-)

Thanks everyone for your help.

#9 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:56 AM

Any 6cyl or V8 x-member [4cyl starfire even] will be good for a pair of donor mounts.

Why not put an ad in the wanted section?
You might find a forumer with a bent x-member, but good mounts!

Just a note: I've always been led to beleive that if you were building a front end, then the 4cyl x-member is the prefered option.
The reasoning is..... the x-member has only had a light engine bouncing up/down on the mounts & causing less stress to the unit,over the past 30+yrs, & hopefully hasn't 'sagged'.

Apparently the V8 x-members have a reputation of 'sagging' across the chassis mounts. :dontknow:

A quick check with a tape will reveal all.

If there is no major damage to the x-member itself [no big dents or wrinkles], then i suggest you weld on a pair on mounts to your x-member.
it's soooooo much nicer to be able to align the mounts! :)... & not rely on the factory alignment.

The bolts go in much easier & it's a cruisier kind of job! :)

#10 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:49 PM

Good idea Statler, I'll put out the call.

I actually had the whole four cylinder thing in mind when I bought the car, reckoning a four cylinder probably had less chassis damage than a V8 - stands to reason it has been under less stress than hotter cars, However...who knows what previous owners had done to it. The crossmember is in great nick, so I'll try and stick with it. Pretty keen to get it happening, hope I don't have to wait too long to find a set.

#11 _Mike73_

_Mike73_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:21 PM

Hi,
a couple of points to watch for 1. heavier engines have heavier front springs so fitting a replacement 4cyl UC front end will require a change of springs to suit a V8, 2. UC fronts have a different steering geometry ( including steering racks )
3. if tack welding mounts in using the engine and gearbox to allign make double sure the gearbox X member is not in backwards as some models are possible to install in backwards this has the effect of changing the left right allignment at the gearbox and makes the engine at a slight angle to the chassis.

Mike

#12 Guns n roses

Guns n roses

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:00 PM

how did you go with this??what would be the best way to line up the 2 mounts so the v8 can be bolted in and not havin hassles of it being out of whack!!

#13 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:27 PM

how did you go with this??what would be the best way to line up the 2 mounts so the v8 can be bolted in and not havin hassles of it being out of whack!!

A bare block, a gearbox, & x-member.

Happy days. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users