Am I missing something?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:09 AM

Hey guys, Im having some trouble with my Rear 1/4 windows... 1 is a original glass 1 is a rare spares replacement but both with new rare spares rubbers. When ya fit them there is a decent gap at the bottom

This is the one with new glass and rubber
Posted Image

And this is the one with genuine glass and new rubber
Posted Image

Anyone else had this issue? is it the rare spares rubbers being wrong? ... again or am I maybe missing a peice from the bottom or something?

#2 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:35 PM

:(

#3 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

Have you installed the channel yet?
Maybe the glass is not pushed back far enough into the door.

#4 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:02 PM

the 2nd pic has the channel installed on the other door

#5 _DrFegg_

_DrFegg_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

Wow, Ive just installed new rares rubbers but didnt get that condition on mine. I cant think what would be causing that, the only possibility I can think of is that the glass is sitting too high, therefore the seal is being pushed too far upwards into the door frame, but im sure youve looked at that.

#6 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,542 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:16 PM

Hey Viper
I don't have an LH or LX so I can't give you an answer to your dilemma, but was thinking are the rubbers symmetrical or are they left and right hand specific.
If they are left and right specific could you have inadvertently fitted the left side rubber seal to the right hand door glass and vice versa?

Just a thought.

Cheers
Dave.

#7 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:59 PM

just tried swapping the rubbers, but they seem to be the same. I can pull it down abit to close up the bottom gap but then it just makes a gap at the top... I can sorta center it and then stretch the rubber but it just pulls back in.... I thinking maybe just fit it with the gap at the bottom then use some sikaflex to fil the gap and try stretch the rubber a little?

Ive got a bunch of old windows with old rubbers on them and they do the same thing... I would of said the doors been fixed in a repair or something wrong but its the same on both doors :S

#8 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:29 PM

You need to centre the rubber on the window more and push it deep into the frame. I had Rares and genuine when I restored the A9X and they were the same. Its all about getting the rubber in the correct position when installing.

#9 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:53 PM

Fitted new ones to Yella 9 months ago, when I did the door belts. All went well.

#10 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:20 AM

Well I sorted it by putting a short peice of electrical wire in between the rubber and the window at the top and bottom and it centered the glass and pushed the rubber out and filled the gap... (anyone see a problem with this?)

Also with these are you supposed to put sealant between the door and the rubber and between the rubber and the glass?

#11 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,542 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:34 AM

Well I sorted it by putting a short peice of electrical wire in between the rubber and the window at the top and bottom and it centered the glass and pushed the rubber out and filled the gap... (anyone see a problem with this?)

Also with these are you supposed to put sealant between the door and the rubber and between the rubber and the glass?

G/day Viper

No it should be ok, I was actually thinking you could use some of that braided nylon rope to pack in there.
I believe no sealant is required.

Cheers
Dave

#12 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:29 PM

Had a look at both my cars and it appears that the areas in the yellow box are supposed to be level.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

The chrome strip covers part of the door but it still shows the top of the door level.

Posted Image

Don't know if it's any help but it gives you something to compare with.

Mort

#13 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:21 PM

I'm trying to assemble my LX doors at the moment and am finding them very fiddly and awkward, I usually get distracted and start doing something else instead.....

#14 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:11 PM

Mort was on the money! I fitted my door belts (seals around the door opening where you would rest your arm) and they were not level, I used some bull nose pliers as best I could and get them level and continued assembling the rest of the door, Once it was all together and I wound the window up the cause of the issue became apparent. The top of the door is not right, Im not sure if these doors have been re-skinned by the previous owner or what but it should be about 5-10mm higher! Not sure how to fix this atm and after spending so much time on the doors so far i cbf atm so will leave as is and consult a panel beater at a later date...

Posted Image

A little hard to see in the pic but the bottom of the window is actually coming up above the door belts :/

Edited by Viper, 11 January 2011 - 04:14 PM.

#15 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:37 PM

This could be a bit of a brumby fix mate, but if you can 45deg the corner, then you might be able to rubber glue another piece in to make up the difference?

I think if you do it right, you wont pick the difference from 3ft. That's assuming that it is a doorskin issue & not a rubber issue.

That 2dr EA plalcon thing that SM did was done in a similar fashion [IMHO].

My first thought when i read this thread was: either fitted the rubber back to front [ i should have actually gone out to the shed & checked to see if they are symetrical, but i'm inheriently lazy] ..or... haven't adjusted the guide rail out enough to compensate for the shortage of rubber.... or.... rubber has shrunk & just wont fit.

One thing that i never enjoyed on the LH-UC models, was that usually one side would have a bit of 1/4 rubber which fell inside the door opening. The rubber never really was wide enough to do the job. Another 2mm would be good & watertight.

If you are seeing this Les & Mick........:)

Just curious, but have you tried fitting the lower edge first? Just to see what the shortfall is at the top.

Edit: I've had a couple of :spit: , so i might have to review this post tomorrow.

Edited by Statler, 11 January 2011 - 04:42 PM.

#16 _nemo355v8_

_nemo355v8_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:54 PM

[quote name='Viper' timestamp='1294358959' post='562610']
Hey guys, Im having some trouble with my Rear 1/4 windows... 1 is a original glass 1 is a rare spares replacement but both with new rare spares rubbers. When ya fit them there is a decent gap at the bottom

This is the one with new glass and rubber
Posted Image

And this is the one with genuine glass and new rubber
Posted Image

Anyone else had this issue? is it the rare spares rubbers being wrong? ... again or am I maybe missing a peice from the bottom or something?
[/quote

This can happen because the back corner isnt in deep enough.
Try pulling down on the window and give it a few bumps with a rubber mallet to get the back corner in deeper, a smear of grease between the window and rubber, dody and rubber will help a whole heap.

#17 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:11 PM

Heh did use read my last post? Like Mort said... with the Door window wound right to the top the bottom of the 1/4 window should be level with the bottom of the door window... Which it is... The problem is the tops of my doors are not level and are sort of angled downwards, This became apparent when I fitted the door belts/weather strips as they were pointing on an angle and not level with each other. No Idea how this has happened tho?

#18 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:57 PM

sandblasting?

#19 _DrFegg_

_DrFegg_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:01 PM

I cant see that the tops of your doors are a problem. Ive fitted new rares seals and the rail on the bottom of the window also pops out of the seal, yet my quarter window seals fit fine. I dont believe your door has been reskinned badly, the likely hood of both doors being done and badly at that, is remote. The reason that the bottom of the window pops out is that the seals dont fit that well and allow the top of the window to engage too deeply. Overall I think your problems must stem from badly made seals.

#20 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:15 PM

Before I adjusted it the outer door belt was pointing down about 5mm lower then the inner belt... If you look at the top of the doors you can see how it starts off flat then bends down for most the way then comes back up level near the front... Motorvation is on this weekend ill be having a good look at the other torana's there to compare to mine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users