1979 Bathurst Video

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 _RpM_

_RpM_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2006 - 09:21 AM

Some of you guys might be interested in this flashback video. 1979 Ferodo 1000 (or whatever it was called back then).

The only in-car camera was in Peter Williamson's Toyota Celica. Shows some good footage of Brocky tearing up a huge lead in the opening lap of the race. John Goss makes an apearance in the Big old Falc too... I would much prefer to see more motorsport of this style these days. I love the V8 Supercars, but why not chuck in some 2ltr class cars etc in another race! mix it up a bit! Hehe.

Anyways, here's the video, Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TvWFMOF7CWU

Ps - Hope this hasnt already been posted or something :<_<:

#2 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2006 - 09:50 AM

Thanks for posting, that is excellent and a real trip back to 79. How good do those cars sound?????

#3 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:02 AM

listen to that 308, doesnt it make you wanna go and get a hot dog and a pipe that exits just behind the passanger front door, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :spoton: :spoton:

#4 LC69GTR

LC69GTR

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 05:51 PM

Great stuff we want more :spoton:

#5 _Aquarius - LC_

_Aquarius - LC_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:01 PM

WOW!! great to see & hear these wonderful machines! :clap: Thank's :D

#6 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 October 2006 - 09:48 PM

just awesum!
i wish i was born back then , 70's cars are the best!

Evan

#7 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:14 AM

Top work! Keep the dream alive! :spoton:

#8 _RpM_

_RpM_
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2006 - 12:25 PM

Well... I've been watching it constantly... I love it... It's a shame they couldnt have put the incar camera on a car that was maybe a bit more competitive, hehe, seeing John Goss walk past it was awesome though, so it had it's good points.. If I can find any more, I will post them also.

My boss has the full 1979 race highlights (2hrs 30mins) on VHS - If it's decent quality i'll put it on PC and host it for download if anyone's interested.

Edited by RpM, 14 October 2006 - 12:25 PM.

#9 _Rob 5000_

_Rob 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2006 - 12:28 PM

please host it I'd love get a copy of that!

#10 _RpM_

_RpM_
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2006 - 12:50 PM

No worries. I will pick it up next week some time and convert it / host it. Plus... I know of a few blokes who are compiling a DVD of all of the races from the 60's to current. with qualifying, racing, and in the more recent ones, the shoot out ... will be an excellent DVD. Will inform ya'll as more info comes out on when they're getting it finished (non profit sale)

#11 _RpM_

_RpM_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:00 PM

unfortunately I got the 1979 Video today, and it's unwatchable. Which, was kinda expected, but still a shame. You cant even see a picture it's so scratchy. However, I will update when I know what the other guys are doing with thier DVD collection theyre making. Sorry Guys.

#12 LC69GTR

LC69GTR

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 01:44 PM

Here is another good one 1979 Brock

#13 _RpM_

_RpM_
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2006 - 01:55 PM

Ahh youtube... is there anything it cant do *hugs youtube* ... another great video LC69GTR - thanks for sharing :-)

#14 LC69GTR

LC69GTR

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 02:07 PM

The bloke aussieracers has some good stuff on youtube

#15 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2006 - 02:40 PM

jeez brockys winding that torry out on conrod straight, he says hes doing 6500 rpm in top, now if my memory serves me right those A9Xs had 3.08 diff ratios, and in my torry with a 3.08 at 5500rpm im pretty ive broken the double tonne (mind you at that speed im more interested in watching where im going) so hed have to be doing about 230kmh at least wouldnt he, top job PB :spoton:

#16 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2006 - 02:50 PM

the more i watch these old race videos the i wonder why did they stop these homologation rules, i mean i know it was a financial decision but i mean AVESCOs decisions to continuously make all cars compete on level playing grounds has taking away all the excitment, lets face it all V8 supercar are using a control vehicle wher the only difference is the body, for now, and dont get me started on the subject of the safety car. i say bring back homologation and even the mixed categories and then it would be a true race between makes

#17 _HB1200_

_HB1200_
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:30 PM

I have the "Great Race" dvd box set which includes the footage above and highlights from 1960 through to 2001. I would rate it a must have for any Holden fan along with the 3 Torana dvds and the HDT dvd.

HB1200

#18 _gmp&a_

_gmp&a_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2006 - 03:57 PM

:spoton: Awesome, I haven't watched that in a while. Believe it or not, but the Goss coupe is also in the same nick as the 79 A9X! What is it about the Hardtops and A9X's that really get me???? :rockon:

#19 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:39 PM

the more i watch these old race videos the i wonder why did they stop these homologation rules, i mean i know it was a financial decision but i mean AVESCOs decisions to continuously make all cars compete on level playing grounds has taking away all the excitment, lets face it all V8 supercar are using a control vehicle wher the only difference is the body, for now, and dont get me started on the subject of the safety car. i say bring back homologation and even the mixed categories and then it would be a true race between makes

The Group C erra died due to CAMS Australia's obsession to go to Group A international rules and suposidly keep costs down. It was all supposed to be about competing on a level playing field acroos the world. The only problem with that was over in Europe the they had the same rules but to them it was more of a guide line and it was the accepted practice by all involved over there including the scruitineers. The silly Aussies took the rules as the rules and built the cars accordingly at great expence compaired to a Group C car so were not that competative and a little pissed when they found out the Europeans bent the rules and got away with it.
If you want to read more about it.Tthe last issue of Australian Muscle Car magazine has a great artilcle about the Aussies atempt at running over in Europe. Has the VK Mobil Brock car on the cover.
This was the start of a sad erra in Australian Touring Car racing and lead to the evental forming of V8 Supercars as it almost killed the sport.

end of rant.

#20 V-SLR5000-P

V-SLR5000-P

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • Car:L34 x 2
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:05 AM

The A9X had a 2.6 ratio diff homologated primarily for use at Bathurst. Factory standard cars with this ratio ran 44.8kph per 1000rpm in fourth on their skinny DR70H14 radials. Contemporary road tests recorded a maximum speed of 206kph (Wheels Feb 78) The race cars were a whole lot faster cracking 260kph+ down Conrod.

#21 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2007 - 12:29 PM

i doubt i could ever really watch the v8s again i absoulutely hate them

there boring theres only 2 makes and in the end no one can look forward to buying the winner on monday

id rather just watch my old bathurst dvd set over and over again

if the v8s were any serious about getting there grade up they would be having the smaller classes back in

todays drivers have nothing on the older drivers from the 60s and 70s

#22 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 04:53 PM

The A9X had a 2.6 ratio diff homologated primarily for use at Bathurst. Factory standard cars with this ratio ran 44.8kph per 1000rpm in fourth on their skinny DR70H14 radials. Contemporary road tests recorded a maximum speed of 206kph (Wheels Feb 78) The race cars were a whole lot faster cracking 260kph+ down Conrod.

The 2.60 was homologated to use at Bathurst, but it wasn't used, it was way too tall once they fitted the large diameter race tyres of the day. 3.08 was used in the A9X.

#23 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:44 AM

V8 Supercars are not racing any more, it's big business, and hyped entertainment. The old classes still race, just have a look at your local race tracks if you want to see old fashioned racing, and a plethora of different cars. Also, not being big hyped events, you can usually sit in your Torrie and watch the racing with the stereo tuned into the commentary (depending on the venue/location and a quick phone call to the track to organise it prior to the event), simply the best.

I like this 2004 video, needed some sound edits, guys got a bit excited: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZJE_e06rVyM

Pity it was on a Saturday morning at 7:30am before the big race, and no tele coverage.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 03 January 2007 - 12:54 AM.

#24 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:23 AM

I saw it and got some photos(poor quality tho), here's one of them.
Posted Image

#25 _RpM_

_RpM_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2007 - 05:30 PM

Also, not being big hyped events, you can usually sit in your Torrie and watch the racing with the stereo tuned into the commentary (depending on the venue/location and a quick phone call to the track to organise it prior to the event), simply the best.

I hear that! ... Thats what I love about Eastern Creek. You can drive down to the fence and sit there watching a few corners, then when you've seen enough from that angle, drive across the grass to the start/finish line and watch from there. We're frequently there and at Oran Park for the Historics and Commodore Cup etc... Some good competitive racing there...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users