arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:54 PM

hi les and crew at rare spares,
just returned from the panel beaters where we discussed the poor fit of the mylar insert on windscreen seal.the windscreen fitter feels that the product is too thick/high in its profile leading to problems getting a snug fit. the areas in question are particularly the corners where the chrome inserts are used but also the mylar sections.
i wasnt present to see his method of fitting nor have i tried to rectify his work.
my inquiry is this,
have you previously had difficulties arisen from a batch or heard of other users having difficulty?
the product was purchased from rare spares brisbane in september 06. the seals are genuine holden items from zupps in brisbane purchased in 95 and kept in the dark untill now.to this date the seals have never been in the sun,perhaps they will "give" a little in time.
my purpose is not to deride your product ,rather attain enough information to correct the situation.
thank you for providing this avenue of discussion for all those interested in the restoration and maintenance of old favourites.

#2 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2006 - 04:20 PM

hi les and crew at rare spares,
just returned from the panel beaters where we discussed the poor fit of the mylar insert on windscreen seal.the windscreen fitter feels that the product is too thick/high in its profile leading to problems getting a snug fit. the areas in question are particularly the corners where the chrome inserts are used but also the mylar sections.
i wasnt present to see his method of fitting nor have i tried to rectify his work.
my inquiry is this,
have you previously had difficulties arisen from a batch or heard of other users having difficulty?
the product was purchased from rare spares brisbane in september 06. the seals are genuine holden items from zupps in brisbane purchased in 95 and kept in the dark untill now.to this date the seals have never been in the sun,perhaps they will "give" a little in time.
my purpose is not to deride your product ,rather attain enough information to correct the situation.
thank you for providing this avenue of discussion for all those interested in the restoration and maintenance of old favourites.

arrimar
I have checked our IR register and we have had no complaints or problems with the Mylar or the corners. I have asked for the stock to be checked against the drawing and will let you know if there is a problem. The windscreen seal from Zupps was probably one of ours anyway so the Mylar should fit.

#3 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2006 - 04:52 PM

we fitted one on Ruby (LX) about 9ish months ago, had the same prob.

#4 LHEFI

LHEFI

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:43 PM

I have had the problem with the meatl corner bits. There is no way they are going to fit.

Cheers

#5 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:38 PM

yeah ive got the same problem as well, i thought i wasnt holding my tongue right, at least i know now its not me

#6 _RTS Guy_

_RTS Guy_
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:22 AM

the rare spares corners are average.

i was just going to use the original corners with the new mylar and see how it looks

#7 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:25 PM

Well it looks like we may have a problem after all, which means a lot of paper work for me. I need some help from the forum which models and are we talking about and is it front and rear?

#8 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:02 PM

LX rear, purchased dec 2004. Shit time flies, i would have sworn it was last year.

#9 _LH SL/R 5000_

_LH SL/R 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:06 PM

Les, once the true problem has been established how long would you expect that it would be for a new item to be available as I have two LH's that need front and rear screen rubbers replacing.

Cheers
Brad.

#10 arrimar

arrimar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:57 PM

sorry about the can of worms les,but afterall this is what we are here for,resolution and discusion.
i didnt bother looking at the rear screen only the front.
LH model.
purchased mylar kit august 12/06
fitted by professional(?)
corners sit "skew-if"
wont be able to send photo for a week or so if necessary.
thanks for your time les.

#11 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:26 PM

I just had teh corners on mine angle cut I think, I will have a look for you

#12 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:21 PM

mines on the front of an LX but im sorry ive got no idea when i bought it, my rears went in fine

Edited by LX8VD69, 26 October 2006 - 05:21 PM.

#13 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:22 PM

pics of LX. Rears fitted proffessionally !!!!!!?????? Front as it came with car.

http://s80.photobuck...1&addtype=local

is it normal to have such a noteable difference in rubber quality between the corners and the straight bits??

#14 arrimar

arrimar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:50 AM

les,
if you see "kaz's" pic link its comparable to mine but my "long skinny sections" have been cut short so as not to ride under the corners yet still have the same skew-if look about them with the curled up rubber effects.

#15 _LH SL/R 5000_

_LH SL/R 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:21 AM

Les, is this being looked into?

#16 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:23 PM

i would be interested in knowing this also, as we have several cars that will require window rubbers in the not to distant future...

i guess we could always look at our options if it doesnt get sorted

Eagerly awaiting any updates

#17 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:24 PM

im sorry les i thought it was my front, but after actually looking at my car its rear like every one else
sorry adam

#18 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:37 PM

I have passed all the info to our QA manager and he will look into it. We will have to get the drawings from GM and see how our product compares , it will probably take about 3-4 weeks

#19 _LH SL/R 5000_

_LH SL/R 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:05 PM

Thanks for your reply les. Will be eagerly waiting for an update

#20 _LH SL/R 5000_

_LH SL/R 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:14 AM

Any progress with this issue les?

#21 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:34 AM

Any progress with this issue les?

We are waiting on the drawings and have been for some weeks , if we do not get them soon we may have to look for an alternative

#22 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:48 AM

I actually thought you could still buy this new? I bought 2 rolls of it in the last 2 years.

#23 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:06 PM

I actually thought you could still buy this new? I bought 2 rolls of it in the last 2 years.

If you mean from GM it will be old stock we stopped supplying them sometime ago.

#24 arrimar

arrimar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:00 PM

any solution forthcoming?

#25 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:19 PM

any solution forthcoming?

Nothing has happened yet this country seems to close for two month around Xmas and you can get nothing done, we are still working on it, hopefully we will have something soon it is becoming embarrassing .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users