170+hp 202 red questions.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 _LJAY_

_LJAY_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2006 - 08:30 PM

G'day guys and girls,
I've only just joined up, and already here to pick at your brains lol.
I have only a few weeks ago picked up and LJ 4 door 202 4 speed. I've put a lot of thought into the way I'm going to tackle the engine rebuild. Originally I wanted to slot an 8 into the LJ but decided on keeping the 202 and giving her a good kick in the guts.
Being as its my first holden 6 (coming off a few Ford 8's) I'm looking for some direction, as to how to pull anywhere between 170-200HP at the feet. It's not going to be a daily driver but more of a weekender and also to hit the strip occasinally.
I want to steer clear of the efi and keep with the triple su's I have at the moment. Unless of course you have a better idea? The block is standard bore at the moment, so should I leave it as is or increase the bore say 40-60thou? What piston's have you found to be good? Rod's, Cam, Ignition, Coil, Fuel Pump, Head, Rockers? Anything you belive will lead me in the right direction.
I've also had a look at the CRS charger kits, but unsure of the power figures and the stress on the engine. Even though I said before that I wish to retain the triples, I would like to know how they stack up againts a hot 6.
Thanks heaps ppl all replys will be much appreciated.....

Jay....

#2 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2006 - 08:44 PM

if you have triples you should stick with them as they usually get a heaps of up end performance

im currently doing a blue 202 with vk efi and a small toyota supercharger

#3 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:05 PM

I've got 3 sets of triples (1 set are spare), I love 'em. The bedford van would have a set too if they'd fit. They can be driven very economically if needed, but thats no fun.

#4 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:06 PM

I'm guessing if you have triples the head is done...its fairly basic for red 6s..proven formula would be:

Yella Terra Head
triples
Cam of your choice ( do a cam sheet from whatever manufacturer you want)
extractors and a 2 inch exhaust
compression between 9.5 and 10 to 1
Blue motor HEI distributor

#5 _LJAY_

_LJAY_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:12 PM

Surely it can't be that easy, if so :spoton:
Also how do these motors hold up with a dose of giggle gas?

#6 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:22 PM

The combination is basically that easy, there's your choice in yella terra head & cam, & plenty more you can do obviously, balancing, better rods, pistons etc. But if your going to run nitrous or a blower you have to build it up with that in mind same as any other motor.

#7 _LJAY_

_LJAY_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:16 AM

Yeah for sure goes without saying. But in regards to rods I've heard alot about the rods outta the 4cyl starfire rods, are they that good?
What aboout valves and valve gear?
I noticed that the blue HEI Dizzy was mentioned aswell, I have a billet procomp dizzy and a bosch coil that came with the car but aren't installed yet would they be better than the blue HEI?
Thanks to everyone that has leant me there ear MUCH APPRECIATED guys... :spoton:

Jay.....

#8 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:43 AM

If you want to keep a red head, use a black bottom end. They have "starfire" rods and counterbalanced crank standard.

#9 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:33 AM

the tryed and tested route should get you there.
YT head @10:1 comp
starfire rods
ACL pistons (HQ racing)
a cam somewhere around XU-1 specs
extractors and a 2 or 2 1/4 system

for the fuel pump you have a few options:
Blue motor mechanical fuel pump
Electric (Holley ect.)
or a SBC mechanical pump, they bolt straight up.

for the dizzy, throw the Procomp one as far as you can, they are useless. get a blue HEI dizzy, they go pretty cheap anyway.

this is basically the setup that is going into dads LC, except I am trying to talk him out of using the triple CD150s he picked up yesterday and to use the 1.75 SU's sitting in the shed

#10 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:02 AM

Sell both and get CD 175's

Edited by rodomo, 29 October 2006 - 11:07 AM.

#11 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:54 AM

Hey mate! You shouldnt have much trouble getting 170HP at the treads from a worked 202... All depends on your budget!

I spent $4500 on a 179 (which is now 186cu) and ran a small holley to achieve 140rwhp. It runs starfire rods (from either a black 202 or as you mention - a starfire 4 [which i happen to have as of today]), hyperutectic pistons, ACL bearings, a worked standard head ($1200 worth of valves and springs, porting and grub screwing of studs) with roller rockers, and XU-1 cam and lightened flywheel. I've got 10:1 comp and run on 98octane fuel.

If you throw a bigger cam in and up the compression to maybe 10.5:1 with all that strengthened gear you should have no trouble at all.

But there's no power in a 2" exhaust (sorry FastEH), i had 130rwhp with a 2 1/4" and now have 140rwhp with a 2 1/2"... And you have more stroke than me with your 202, so i'd say with a similar build status to mine you'd see at least 170rwhp with just that and your triples. The bloke who dyno tuned my car said that either a 465 holley or a set of triple SU's (which i have sitting here) would see an easy 155rwhp... Did i mention mine is a street driven motor? It's got attitude, but not enough to make you want to take the back streets to avoid traffic lights...

Go the HEI dizzy off a blue 202, they are the ducks guts...

Cheers
Keith

#12 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for that little read guys....Keith, my motor sounds like it's in that ballpark, (minus the grub screwed studs and roller rockers) if it's gunna make 150ish RWHP, will the standard Salisbury do the job? I've got HD uni's in the newly balanced tailshaft, so I'm confident that'll do the job.
I haven't pushed my motor too hard just yet, still listening to things as I drive....but one aspect is the diff..... just how strong are they as standard.
And was there just one ratio in the UC 6's?
What would mine be...? :spoton:

Edited by knoath, 30 October 2006 - 11:01 AM.

#13 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:14 AM

moe engines do a good donk price but good 180hp fly wheel with a 350 holley
street warror 3.3

#14 _Aquarius - LC_

_Aquarius - LC_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:00 PM

G'day LJAY, my 202 , Black bottom end, highly modded 186 head,tripple Su's, 38/78 cam all the usual good gear . Last run on the dyno 158.3 rwhp, I've since had the the head of & uped comp slightly, so should be into the 160's next time on the rollers. So the figures your chasing are achievable with a similar setup. If i wanted more hp I'd need to go to a bigger cam, but it's so good now, i dont want to ruin the exellent driveability it still has. Plus i don't want a handgrenade, its up to you how far u want to go mate. knoath totally depends on how your going to drive it :tease: I'm having no trouble with the banjo in mine..touchwood , It's hard enough to keep traction top end of first & sometimes second,never mind dropping clutches or flat gearchanges. So my diff/gearbox get a reasonably easy time..........I must be getting old. :D

#15 _dave720gtr_

_dave720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:37 PM

Doh! :blink: sorry 184 rear wheels :fool:

#16 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:11 PM

well my engine has 163rwhp, see cardomain for full specs. Itll all be for sale very soon (next couple of weeks) as my lc now has a 308 in it :)

202, big $ yt 186 head, roller rockers, big solid cam(512" lift), flat top pistons, triple 1.75 HIF sus, complete 5 spd conversion. mini high torque starter, you get the idea!

A1

#17 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:02 PM

moe engines do a good donk price but good 180hp fly wheel with a 350 holley
street warror 3.3

mmm i grew up in moe and i have not heard many good things about them, but they have a new guy doing there engine's now and he seems to know what he is on about/doing

#18 _LJAY_

_LJAY_
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:37 PM

Thanks again for all the helpful info guys, great wealth of knowledge here :spoton: All the info will be taken into account thats for sure, motor will be on the backburner for a while, at least a few months anyway. Rust gotta love it plus a few minor subtle changes to the body, but anyway thanks again fellas...

By the way got my hands on a blue HEI today so thats a start I suppouse!!

Jay....

#19 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:35 PM

Hey LJAY, you really can't go wrong with the ol' blue HEI....shoulda gone over to 'em ages ago.

Nothing but reliability......

There's nothing quite like a Holden.......part.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users