Convo Pro wheels and offsets!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 _TUFLX_

_TUFLX_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:27 PM

hey guys,im new to the forums and love them!!i have a 76 lx torana with a 308.im currently looking at getting a set of 15 inch convo pros.

my lx is a 4 door and has no flares.i want 15 x 4 for the front and not sure wat width for the rear.i have a 9 inch which is the standard torana width.what size wheels can i fit on the rear and what offset would i need?????what do you guys have?also can you get different offsets for the front and what should i get??

any help would be great.thanks..Trev

#2 _timbotorrie_

_timbotorrie_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:17 PM

you could probably squeeze in 8.5s on the rear but 8s would be better
the 4s only come in one offset i think, they will have heaps of room

#3 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:53 PM

hey trev,

i agree with timbo, 8s would probably be the best size for the rears. but with the right offset 8.5's maybe... but it will still be the same tyre size, so i rekcon just go the 8's probably a little bit cheaper too...

Do you want the cheese cutter look on the front with the 4's? maybe if you know anyone with a set of convos you might be able to trial fit them.... just the fronts to see how much room you will have to play with....

#4 Guns n roses

Guns n roses

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:57 AM

good question trev,id be curious what is the best offset for convos on the rear would be

#5 _1TUFSLR_

_1TUFSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 05:18 PM

id go a 15x8.5 ..thats if you dnt have flairs...my mate has them on hes torry nd the look perfect.....are u goin to get them custom made 4 torry stud pattern?

#6 TORLX8

TORLX8

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Name:Campbell

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:21 PM

I looked into getting convos for my hatch(flareless) a while back. From memory the 8.5 X 15's with 5 inch backspacing were the ones to get for the rear.
But you will have dramas with the front with no flares, with the only available backspace being 3 3/8, so you have to run a 15 x 4 to even fit a tyre under the front guards.
PM Greenmachine for more info as he has them on his flareless hatch.

#7 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:33 PM

4" in the front? That's weak. Go at least 6's, or don't you have to be able to turn?

RIM

#8 _TUFLX_

_TUFLX_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:38 PM

i have hq pattern,but just curious for convos in torrie pattern,do they have to be custom made?

also if i went a 15 x 8.5 with the 5 inch back spaceing,what size tyre could i fit under the guard with no hassles??cheers..
trev.

#9 _TUFLX_

_TUFLX_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 06:41 PM

LXCHEV,do you have 4s on the front?and if so how do they handle????

:rockon:

#10 _ozstreetcar_dave_

_ozstreetcar_dave_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:00 PM

4's don't handle and they are not supposed to, they are for going straight. I recently bought 8.5s with a 3 3/8 backspacing, but it was going to get a fairly narrowed diff, I was going to squeeze a 275, 60 15 in a standard tub but I was going to have to move the shock over a bit and it was going to sit up a bit in the back. The convo 4s do come in two different offsets, one has ribbing on the front of the wheel one doesn't, according to VPW anyway.

#11 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:46 PM

i have hq pattern,but just curious for convos in torrie pattern,do they have to be custom made?

Some Convo Pro sizes are available in 5x4.25" stud pattern.

#12 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:56 PM

4's don't handle and they are not supposed to, they are for going straight. I recently bought 8.5s with a 3 3/8 backspacing, but it was going to get a fairly narrowed diff, I was going to squeeze a 275, 60 15 in a standard tub but I was going to have to move the shock over a bit and it was going to sit up a bit in the back. The convo 4s do come in two different offsets, one has ribbing on the front of the wheel one doesn't, according to VPW anyway.

Your right with the fronts. For fitment without hassle you need the 15x4's without the ribbing. The ones with the ribbing look heaps nicer bit are prone to clearance probs when turning. Masarge the bottom of the gaurds to get the clearance you need. Pm Green Machine as he's been through all this.

#13 _1TUFSLR_

_1TUFSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 01:28 PM

[TUFLX]..............convo pros can be made in torana stud pattern....thats wat i did to my torry... they just take alot longer to get here cos they are custom made from america....mine took 10 weeks to get here .... but they look magnificent well worth the wait :D

#14 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:16 PM

4" in the front? That's weak. Go at least 6's, or don't you have to be able to turn?

RIM

they turn better.

#15 _1TUFSLR_

_1TUFSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:14 PM

yeh i agree... unless its only goin to be goin in a straight line go 6 for street use...... i wanted 4s for mine but the guy just laughed at me lol....so id go 6

#16 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:28 AM

if you need more clearance on the fronts you could always go to P76 rotors.....

#17 Guns n roses

Guns n roses

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 10:18 PM

what offset 15 x 4s for the front of a lx torana?with no flares..

#18 _Monkey_

_Monkey_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:10 PM

if you need more clearance on the fronts you could always go to P76 rotors.....

thats what i did on my lj with hq stubs & hq calipers. brings the track in an inch each side.

#19 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 22 November 2006 - 10:00 AM

an inch! io thought it was closer to 10mm!
hmmm

#20 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 22 November 2006 - 10:28 AM

treven what set up did you decide on?

#21 _TUFLX_

_TUFLX_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2006 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for all your help guys, i ended up buying 15X4 with 2-5/16 offset for the front and 15X7 with 3-3/8 offset for the rear. All i need now are some tyers!!!!!!

#22 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:03 PM

Hey mate, i see what you want to do by going the "pro street" look, Im running the 15x4 convo pro on the front of mine 165's up front 265's on rear, gonna try for 295 soon :)

there are 2 Rims to choose from,
Ones with the convolude ribbing on the outer or the ones without
The ones without look shit But are a better fit for the torana as they sit in more,

The ones i have i forget the offset, but was recommended not to go with them as the sit out further, and ive payed the price.... I cannot turn a full lock without catching the gaurds, Ive also had to roll the lips on the gaurds and they still rub when cornering, aswell as Cut away at the bottom of the front gaurd just to get clearance

There is no such thing as Handling unless going straight as the car will understeer going through a round about any quicker than 30kmph,

Im running the HQ Stubs and stud pattern with 165/15 michelin XZX Tyres,
Heres a couple of pics to show you how close they sit to the gaurds,

Hope this helps with your descision, Performance or looks :D

Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:32 PM

TUFLX - sorry I missed this post, just caught up on it now. To answer your question regarding the handling with the 15 x 4's... mine surprisingly still feels pretty good. I'm running the 15 x 4's with the ribbing, I believe they are the ones that sit out wider (my beast is flared so no problems with clearance). My tyres are Hankook 165's (I think they're 80 profile).

Yeah sure if you hammer into a corner with a lot of speed, the car wants to understeer, but having said that, I can still give it a fair bit of stick around corners and it feels good, and hangs on pretty well. I'm running very stiff springs (A9X spec), with Pedders Sports Ryder shocks and 3 degree's of neg camber... maybe that combo helps.. Obviously if compared to say a 15 x 7 with a fat tyre, then handling would improve significantly again, but all in all, am I certainly not unhappy with how it handles. I think I've proven it's alright from using my car as a daily car with this setup for a long time.

#24 Gump

Gump

Paisty White

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Name:Russell
  • Car:LX SL hatch

Posted 06 December 2006 - 02:31 PM

do convo pro's only come in 15 inch or are there bigger sizes, i like the look of the rims but want big brakes

gump

#25 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2006 - 06:45 PM

Convo's only come in 15's mate But have seen 16X16 For drag cars and on an old hot rod.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users