Spark Plug Leads

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:54 PM

I'm not very happy. My original spark plug leads started arcing out against a heat shield after 175,000 KM. Obviously I bought a new set and stuck them in. Mis-firing problem solved. However, these new ones are doing the same trick after only 20,000 KM. Another set is now required. I use my vehicle for business. Car no go, no make money. Reliability and performance is 99% of the equation. Price is the other 1%. These leads need to be radio compliant, as I have a two way radio for work, as well as the FM stations for pleasure.

So I need to know what is the best performing, longest lasting plug lead set on the market. I'm in Melbourne, so I need to be able to get them here. Unless I can get a set whilst I'm in Adelaide from Dec 29 to Jan 2. The van is playing up now, so it's kind of urgent. I do have another brand new van in the driveway I've been using, but it's not on gas yet, so it's a bit more expensive to run. I would prefer to spend less than $200 for the set ( 4 cyl motor ), but I'm more interested in value for money.

#2 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2005 - 09:34 PM

I'm not 'in the know' with spark plug leads but when they start earthing does that mean they're stuffed from that point onwards? I was just wondering if it was possible to shield them with some sort of hosing or wrap but if they are no good anyway...

#3 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2005 - 09:39 PM

One is arcing onto the dipstick, so I could shield that one. However, two others are arcing near the plug onto the cylinder head. Definite bin job those ones.

#4 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2005 - 10:20 PM

Maybe you could make your own leads! Ignition resitance wire inside heater hose and fill the rest of the heater hose with silicone! :lol: I'm tired!

#5 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 26 December 2005 - 10:28 PM

See Dick at Performance Ignition (scorcher)

#6 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2005 - 08:22 AM

Maybe you could make your own leads! Ignition resitance wire inside heater hose and fill the rest of the heater hose with silicone! :lol: I'm tired!

I will take you up on the idea of using heater hose as a shield on the new leads. It's relatively cheap and there's no way they could arc out through that! Cheers!

#7 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2005 - 10:53 AM

No worries, hope it works!

#8 _TrevvyD_

_TrevvyD_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2005 - 12:09 PM

A trick that the gas conversion guys use over this side of the world anyway is to use the black electrical wire sheild auto electricians use, Its wrinkly and has a cut the hole lenght of it, I,m not sure of the name of it but Narva make it and Repco Auto parts sell it. It comes in the dead right size for plug leads, looks real neat, and I guess is a lot easier to use than heater hose.
Just checked in the garage, it,s called,,,, "Corrugated Split Tubing", try that first, its really cheap, about $5:00 for a 3 meter lenght.

#9 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2005 - 08:07 PM

I know the stuff. A couple of problems in this application though. Firstly, it's very thin, so arcing is still a possibility. Secondly, as there's a split for the seam. it defeats the purpose as it's not a complete cover. Third, that stuff costs money, I have plenty of old heater hose in the garage that won't cost me a cent. Anyway, I'm off to Scorcher in the morning. I just hope they're going to be open. But since it's on the way to other destinations, it's not out of my way.

#10 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 27 December 2005 - 10:37 PM

Best leads ive ever used have been magnecor leads.

Ive got them on teh monaro.. paid $250 for teh set to suit chev, and i did manage to burn one of the boots by haing touch the extractor. I havent replaced that yet, but it doesnt arc and the leads have been going strong even with my MSD for over a year of hard abuse.

I dont know where you can get em in melbourne, but i'd say you'd have little problem after that.

One thing though... My brother also uses magnecor leads ( very short from coilpack to plug) in his TTV8 commodore, and even with SRP fireshield, the turbo housing has burnt through the fireshield and plug lead.

I'd recommend these leads, with a suitible conduit ( heater hose).. should see you well into the next 200,000Kms!

Cheers.

#11 _torana05_

_torana05_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:58 PM

I'm now using "Splitfire" leads. They have a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser, contact Lynx Corporation for price & availability. I have noticed a small increase in fuel economy as well.

Andrew 2.

#12 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 07:04 AM

Is the problem here that the leads are rubbing on things, and consequently becoming thinner and losing their insulation properties? Protecting them at the wear pts sounds like the solution.
Dont know about the magical leads ^ that improve fuel consumption?

Edited by devilsadvocate, 28 December 2005 - 07:06 AM.

#13 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:59 AM

MSD is the best wire on the market. I can make them in any lengths, any terminal type.

Your average factory ignition wire is approximately 3000-5000 ohms per foot, Good quality aftermarket (Eagle, Top Gun, Magnacore) range from 800-2000 ohms per foot. The MSD wire is 60 ohms per foot.

Noise suppression and interference is also excellent, we use this wire on drag cars running 44 Amp Magneto's and data loggers, so a lack of interference is vital.

Give me some lengths and a terminal style and I can make any leads you need. :)

#14 Stedz_lc

Stedz_lc

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:28 PM

Wow they sound decent!
Ive got leads made to suit Top gun by brand but we cut to size there awesome but id like to c these msd ones! I think the person who made mine would be upset if i went out n got another set made hehe,hrmm!
Chopper stay away from the bosch leads at work we used bosch for awhile on everythin n anything but now have gone to ngk n seem to last that lil bit longer! Obvisously at work we want value for money aswell! Cant suggest to a customer he spends 200 bucks on leads!
Cheer
stedz

#15 Stedz_lc

Stedz_lc

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:30 PM

sorry to steal thread whats the msd stuff worth per metre?

#16 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:39 PM

yeah, i'm running top gun leads atm on the torry but i'll have to get msd ones for the 202 when i build it by the sound of this. costing would be nice.

#17 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2005 - 01:25 PM

Never really paid much attention to leads other than replacing them if they failed. However, after visiting the magnecor and msd sites, Id have to suspect that it is all a lot of hype, not unsimilar to the assortment of expensive speaker cables around.
I didnt see any figures quoting levels of rfi and emi from these products and only ratings such as excellent etc for the emi of 'low resistance' leads, but is excellent anywhere near what the standard carbon leads are at now?. Does low emi guarantee low rfi? The sites talk about emi and rfi separately, though to my understanding rfi is just emi that can be picked up on a radio? The magnecor site even went as far as saying that any one who tells you their lead will give you more horsepower is talking rubbish? dont know how they are going to sell much with that spiel.
I know there are lots of testamonials out there, but: Are there any independent objective tests of products such as these that show worthwhile improvements for road cars in performance and which also measure the interference aspects of them?

Edited by devilsadvocate, 30 December 2005 - 01:33 PM.

#18 _torana05_

_torana05_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:59 PM

As i stated earlier, i recomend the splitfire leads. A little video can be found here, tests where done on a SS Commodore.

http://www.lynxcorp....dx=producttests

Information on the leads can be found here.

http://www.lynxcorp....ts/sf_leads.pdf

I have these leads on both my cars. I also have supplied some group NC racers with them. Both have shown power & torque increases on the dyno.

Andrew 2.

#19 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:25 PM

Torana05, thanks for going to the trouble for providing the links on the spitfire leads. interesting stuff, but was really after some independent testing of such products on road cars. Would putting this type of product on a car that has been engineered/mapped setup to provide near minimal emissions, particularly unburnt HC's, create any improvements? Burning the 1% or less of unburnt HC's isnt going to make much difference(assuming that could be done) I gather any improvements could only come from combusting fuel that wasnt burnt in the first place, which perhaps is the case in high performance vehicles where they are flushing petrol through the engine at a great rate.

#20 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:36 AM

better speaker wires DO make a diference. if you can't notice it chances are the rest of your system isn't up to scratch. it's not a big diference, but if you have spent many k on a completley uncompromising system then it will make a tiny diference, and when your looking for every tiny bit you can get then there it is. same thing with motors.

#21 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 04:24 PM

Devil, no I cannot provide you with an independant verification in the area's that you list.
However, we supply these leads to the top drag racing teams here in WA, as well as to a large majority of the lower echelion guys.
I've not ever measured it, but I would guess that a 44amp magneto would create a pretty decent spark, and along with that some serious interference. All the teams we supply run data loggers with sensors which are very suseptable to any form of electronic interference. If they weren't up to the task I would have heard about it by now.

As for prices, for a set of custom made MSD's to suit a V8 are $180, or basically $20 a lead (8 + coil).

If you just want to buy a length of the wire (we get it in 100m lengths), Its $7.50 metre, plus the terminals and boots.

#22 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 04:48 PM

better speaker wires DO make a diference.

Lcboi: most people that pay good money for cables say they do make a difference(they are happy, manufacturers and retailers are happy).....but objective testing has been done that shows otherwise. Stereo Review, the worlds biggest audio mag did some blind listening tests on speaker cables some time ago. What did they find, no golden eared audiophile could do any better than chance when it came to picking the difference between premium products of several manufacturers, and that of regular 10amp lighting flex. When the comparison was done with "phone line" gauge cable, most could detect a difference.

#23 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 06:18 PM

I'm not questioning anyone's findings/opinion here but I wonder when the cable test was done if it was 'bench tested' - out of the car with a remote power supply or if it was in a car where electrical interferance would still be an issue (noise from distributor etc). The interferance is what most of the audio companies seem to be pushing as thier main selling point (oxygen free cables etc).

#24 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 06:39 PM

Thanks for the suggestion about using speaker wire for spark plug leads. I might try that one day after several beers.

#25 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 06:48 PM

It has gone off the topic a bit! After thinking about it I guess power wires for audio would have more to do with interferance than speaker cable/wires.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users