#26 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:10 AM

that should work ok, your just going to nee somewhere for the air to get out of the boot. louvred boot lid? taht would be cool!

#27 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:58 AM

Didn't think of a louvred bootlid. But I don't like that kind of thing. I want to keep the car looking as normal as possible.

I was just thinking that the radiator would only take up 2/3rds of the fuel tank hole, and the other 1/3 would be used for sucking fresh air into the boot. I could even make up some tubing to direct the air through the radiator somehow. But that might not be needed becaue the boot is sealed.

Fans (positioned underneath the radiator) would suck air through the radiator, drawing the 'fresh' air from the boot and releasing the hot air underneath the car.

The radiator is only really needed when we want to run the car on premium unleaded. This will mostly be during cruising at car events or for testing. When run on methanol (at the drags etc), the engine won't really get very hot.

#28 makka

makka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:09 PM

I have got an idea on how you could do it, I will scribble up a pic of what I think would work well

#29 _IPRALC4Door_

_IPRALC4Door_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:21 PM

Have you maybe considered a dry sump setup? Might save some space.

#30 _LX406_

_LX406_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:50 PM

If you are gonna have the radiator in the boot as well as the fuel cell, the fuel will be damm hot. Not a flash idea i reckon. A lot of methanol powered cars have the fuel tank in the engine bay. Any room for that?

#31 makka

makka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:24 PM

if you set it up like this:
Posted Image

you would get good airflow and keep most of the heat out of the boot

#32 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for the sketch Makka! My idea is very similar, but still different. I really should draw my own, so that I'm clear.

LX406 - The boot will be full of fresh cool air, which is drawn in directly into the boot through a port hole. This cool air is then drawn through the radiator (by fans)to the outside of the car. There would be a constant flow of cool ambient air into the boot. I don't expect the it to get hot at all in there.
We'll be running fairly low on space in the engine bay, but there may still be space for a small tank. We haven't ruled it out as an option.

IPRALC - yes we have thought about a dry sump, but didn't think it was necessary.

#33 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:25 PM

Here is my sketch. I'm also just thinking that the shroud probably isn't even needed if the fans are sucking. Because the whole boot acts to force the air through the radiator.

The only thing I'm a little concerned about is that the air might be continually recirculated around and around. It would be ok when the car is moving, but when stationary the hot air may just hand around under the rear of the car. It might not be that bad. What do you think?

Posted Image

#34 makka

makka

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:54 PM

yeah, thats basically the same as my idea, except mine uses an angled radiator, the front of the car is on the LHS of that picture

#35 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:27 PM

Ahh I understand your diagram better now Makka. That's not too bad an idea at all! But I'm just not sure I want any part of the radiator hanging down. I suppose the standard fuel tank hangs down there a bit anyway. I will think about that some more. An angled radiator might be the way to go!

On a side note...
We bought a hi-stall convertor for the powerglide. Although we don't actually have a powerglide yet, but we'll get one eventually. We bought this convertor off ebay. Its a Dominator 5500rpm convertor!! Awesome!!!

Posted Image

The guy I bought it off said the stall speed has been designed for a small block chev, so I expect the flash stall to only be around 4500rpm with a little ol' 4.0L engine... but the boost will help with torque to push up that stall speed a bit. This convertor will be helpful off the line when we get new cams.

Next on the shopping list is a big throttle body.

#36 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2006 - 03:50 PM

We just bought our new throttle body!!! 100mm.
I doubt that this will restrict power. Check it out, its massive!

Posted Image

And here it is next to an XF throttle body. The XF one is what VL turbo guys usually use as an �upgrade�.
Posted Image

#37 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2006 - 03:55 PM

Shiiiiit, is that 1 from WA?

#38 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2006 - 04:13 PM

It came from Thailand.
International eBay Link for throttle body

#39 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2006 - 04:15 PM

Ohhh I think I know who makes these-bunch of ex-aussies

#40 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 November 2006 - 06:15 PM

Faaaahk!

'Vat is one masiv masiv.'

Bloody hell. Say goodbye to your pet kitten, that'll be Lexus Lunch!

RIM

#41 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2006 - 03:07 PM

I'm slowly collecting bits for this car, but its an expensive exercise!
I've now got a 9 inch housing and axles for the LJ. Its torana stud pattern and standard LC/LJ length. I might consider shortening it a couple of inches later on. I will probably also convert it to HQ stud pattern eventually.
I'll be keeping an eye out for cheap diff centres now!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#42 _munro_

_munro_
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:01 PM

I'm slowly collecting bits for this car, but its an expensive exercise!
I've now got a 9 inch housing and axles for the LJ. Its torana stud pattern and standard LC/LJ length. I might consider shortening it a couple of inches later on. I will probably also convert it to HQ stud pattern eventually.
I'll be keeping an eye out for cheap diff centres now!

Posted Image

Posted Image

lhoon i recon if your going to shorten the 9" and change stud patternaswell as look for a centre you'd be better off buying another 9" pay for it to be cut down ect then sell the one you have :spoton:
you'll save atleast a couple hundred dollars :rockon:
cheers tom

#43 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:21 PM

This project is moving quickly! I'm sure itll move pretty quickly when its done too

#44 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2006 - 07:42 AM

HAHAHA 100mm throttle body, twin turbo v8.. in a car that weighs aprox 1100kg. can you say death wish ? LMAO

but still, comming along nicely. :spoton:

#45 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:10 AM

Postal Dude - I think the complete (all alloy) Lexus V8 would weigh about the same as a Holden 6 cylinder. But then again, we're adding a lot of new components so yeah it would probably weigh around 1100kg. The whole aim of the game is to run quick times at the drag strip. There's a long way to go, but it would awesome to be running 9's (or even 8's ??)! Its always going to come down to traction though.

MRNOS - this project is coming along fairly quickly, but we have been working on it for a few months. It seems quicker because I've posted all these photos up so quickly!

Muro - Yep I've been thinking the same thing myself. I may or may not use this diff. We'll see. I could also use it for my LC, and get rid of the borg warner.

#46 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:57 PM

I've got another update for you guys.

Finished welding on the top tank of the intercooler, and drilled a 4 inch hole for the air outlet to match the huge throttle body we've got.

Posted Image

You'll also notice that we chopped the top off the old intake manifold plenum. We're re-designing it so that it fits under the bonnet of the LJ.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#47 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:23 PM

Mate, nice work!

Thanks for sharing the pics, very impressive engineering effort...

I think a goal for me next year is to do some welding courses, and learn how to use a TIG...

cheers,

Sam

#48 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:16 PM

Thanks guys!!!

We've now fabricated a new plenum chamber!! Unfortunately the old trumpets/bellmouths are a bit tall, so we're going to have to remake them. But the exterior is made, and you can now see how the throttle body will fit, and plumb straight into the intercooler. It all fits under the bonnet, and it should look pretty sweet!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#49 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2006 - 04:55 PM

wish i had that much time to work on my many projects....

that guard looks hot!!! should do the whole car and throw some clear over it..

#50 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2006 - 05:51 PM

^^^ no way that would do the car justice.

this thing is going to be frigin insane. TT v8 under the bonnet of a torana with nothing showing other than the intercooler. hahaha smash the shit outa any ricer that thinks there cool. Top effort Lhoon, cant wait till tis ready :spoton:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users