- - - - -

TT Lexus V8 into LJ

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#51 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2006 - 01:18 PM

Its been a little while since my last update, I've been a busy doing other things!
Also sorry there's so many photos - its just too bad if you have a dial up connection!!

We wanted to shorten the bellmouth/trumpets a bit within the plenum, so we decided to simply slice them off the old manifold rather than making new ones. But the runners are too close together, so when they are shorter the tops of the bellmouths would hit. So we trimmed them so that they fit together. See photos.

We re-used the trumpets from the old VL plenum, but cut them much shorter...
Posted Image
Posted Image

We made a new 6mm thick base plate
Posted Image

The trumpets had to be modified so that they would fit close together
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Tack welded them into position
Posted Image
Posted Image

Had to die grind the base plate (and trumpets) to match the runner of the lower part of the intake manifold. Pretty smooth!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

After the trumpets were welded properly, the rest of the plenum was reassembled and tack welded. Unfortunately we discovered a minor problem with our design, causing a slight misalignment problem of the throttle body to the intercooler. It was angling down a bit.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

A small mod to the sheet metal and all is good. Its all welded now.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#52 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2006 - 01:20 PM

We also bought a (massive) flexible hose from a truck store to go from the throttle body to the intercooler.
Posted Image

The top of the plenum needed to be removable so that the bolts inside it can be done up. So another top plate was made.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

You'll also notice in those pictures that we've made fuel rails as well.

#53 _Aquarius - LC_

_Aquarius - LC_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2006 - 01:43 PM

Awesome!!! some very nice fabrication ! Looking forward to next update ! :D

#54 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 24 December 2006 - 05:28 PM

thats an awsome job mate keep it up
is your radiator going in the boot?

Edited by Bart, 24 December 2006 - 05:29 PM.

#55 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 24 December 2006 - 05:36 PM

Very impressive work :clap: It keeps getting better.

It's also great seeing car parts in the kitchen. Wifes and girlfriends just love that stuff.

Cheers Mick.

#56 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2006 - 07:48 PM

Thanks AquariasLC! My mate Chris is the master at fabricating stuff. He needs to get all of the credit for pretty much all of fabrication done so far. Sometimes I'm amazed at what can be achieved just in our garage!

Bart - yes, the plan is still to have the radiator in the boot. Haven't actually sorted that out yet, but that will be one of the next tasks. We also need a small radiator to cool the water for the intercooler.

Cheers lxsstorana! Yep, I also like to have car parts inside as a centre-piece on the coffee table. Hehehe! Always a talking point when friends come over.

#57 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 December 2006 - 08:47 PM

LHoon, you are a god.

1UZ LJ, and a TT'd one at that! Legendary stuff mate.

Loving the fabrication work, too.

RIM

#58 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2006 - 06:46 AM

I agree with RIM - your doing a great job mate! Its impressive to see that it's all been done in your garage!! And I like how you've spent the time getting it right - a lot of people are in a rush to get this sort of stuff done but your doing it the right way!!

Good on ya mate!
Merry Christmas by the way!!

Keithy

#59 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 09:53 AM

some detail of the radiator conversion would be great, has anyone discussed or know of the legalities of this?? I believe your beast will be race not street so that wouldnt concern you but any way if any info is out there id like to know as i would like to do it myself if legal. :spoton: :spoton:

#60 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2006 - 11:55 AM

Thanks for the comments guys!!

Bart - I haven't actually investigated the legalities of relocating the radiator to the boot. I can't see how it could be any less safe or legal though. You can run transmission coolers wherever you like, can't you? And if its a environmental concern, a leak from the tranmission oil would have to be more of a risk than the engine coolant. But I have no idea, maybe someone else has done something like this before?

As for details on our design, we plan on running two hoses of about 1 inch diameter from the engine to the boot to provide supply and return of water to the radiator. I haven't figured out exacty how the radiator will mount yet, but it will just have a thermo fan mounted to it which will run continuously to get enough air flow.

#61 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 12:16 PM

Thanks for the comments guys!!

Bart - I haven't actually investigated the legalities of relocating the radiator to the boot.  I can't see how it could be any less safe or legal though.  You can run transmission coolers wherever you like, can't you?  And if its a environmental concern, a leak from the tranmission oil would have to be more of a risk than the engine coolant.  But I have no idea, maybe someone else has done something like this before?

As for details on our design, we plan on running two hoses of about 1 inch diameter from the engine to the boot to provide supply and return of water to the radiator.  I haven't figured out exacty how the radiator will mount yet, but it will just have a thermo fan mounted to it which will run continuously to get enough air flow.

I was thinking te radiator would have to be wider but shorter than normal. eg rather than 500mm Height and 600mm wide it should prob be 200mm height and 700mm wide?? this may allow it to be better mounted under the boot floor??
OR 2, 200mm height and 400mm wide and mount them under the sides of the boot floor??
hmm i dont know really just an idea i guess :<_<: hmmm kind of like those oil coolers you can buy, or since youre using a water air intercooler check out the radiator you use for that, i believe they are pretty compact.

Edited by Bart, 26 December 2006 - 12:18 PM.

#62 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:28 AM

it would have been great to make the top of the intake plenum clear plexiglass. something a bit different

if you could mount the intercooler any more forward, id be inclined to try and put the radiator in the engine bay, but youve done a great job so far, absolutely awesome.

cheers julian

#63 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:30 PM

Excellent, more top photos of the on going progress. The quality of the fabrication just keeps amazing me. Keep em comming.

#64 _Chaotic_

_Chaotic_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:20 PM

Ok heres some pics of probally the worlds dodgiest radiator in boot installation known to man but some food for thought. I trust your fabrication would be a hell of a lot nicer :P

Posted Image Posted Image

#65 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2007 - 05:51 PM

mate.

im speachless.

thats amazing.

#66 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2007 - 06:30 PM

should see the front of that car lol

#67 _Chaotic_

_Chaotic_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2007 - 06:36 PM

I can see the front of it from where im sitting, dont know wether a smile or a frown is more suited. haha.

#68 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 07:01 PM

is there aitflow from the outside ie is there a square hole in the boot floor to allow airflow??

#69 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 07:04 PM

I was thinking along the lines of mounting a radiator under the boot floor like one would with a diff oil cooler, only the rad would be bigger

#70 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2007 - 07:57 PM

Cheers for those pics Chaotic. That's pretty much the same concept. But I haven't had time to actually play around with it yet.

#71 _Chaotic_

_Chaotic_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:08 PM

Couple more quick pictures might show a bit more. First is looking down at front of radiator from boot side, second is my best commando photographic skills lying on back from underneth, as you can see its just had the spare wheel arch "modified" to act as an underbody scoop (best way to describe it).

Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Chaotic, 01 January 2007 - 08:09 PM.

#72 _LHoon_

_LHoon_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:11 PM

Nice pics Chaotic! I like the agricultural 'modifications' :-) Does it still cool the engine as good as normal?

Also, I just bought two Volvo rims for the back of the LJ. Found them on ebay. They suit LJ and they've been widened using ROH steel outers and are 15x8". Not a bad find I reckon...

Posted Image

Unfortunately my 9 inch axles are Torana stud pattern so it was either that or change to HQ. So for now I'm happy just to run silver volvo rims . I plan on running MT 235/50/15 (street) drag radials.

#73 _Chaotic_

_Chaotic_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:23 PM

I'd only driven the car a couple of times before i fried the ignition system and previous driver never had any problems, crude but effective! Thermos run permanetly to make sure, future plans for it are a body clean up and paint, rerun those cooling pipes under the car and engine freshen up.

#74 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:22 PM

sorry to stray off topic, but what the hell is that car for chaotic???

#75 _Chaotic_

_Chaotic_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2007 - 09:26 PM

Rolling Coffin? haha
After the LX is coming along its gonna be completely refreshened up to be a burnout car, going to chase up a couple of sponsers to help cover some parts costs...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users