Still Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Name:Damo
  • Car:bits here bits there.....

Posted 29 December 2005 - 05:58 PM

Hi guys,
tryin to decide whether or not to put the battery in the back of the hatch or not.
the batterv tray is a bit rusty and i have to repair it anyway so i either cut the lot
out and weld in some flat sheet or fix the old tray.Has anyone got any other idea's?
cheers' Damo

#2 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 29 December 2005 - 06:06 PM

If there was a serious reason for it... i'd do it...

If its only the bodywork.. then dont!!

Its really such a pain in the ass having it back there for all kinds of wiring etc, your much better off keeping it up front unless there is a really good reason for the change.

Cheers

#3 LXdamo

LXdamo

Still Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 07:09 PM

Thanks tiny.
Cars in its underpants at the moment so its cut and weld in the engine bay at the moment.Was thinkin of leavin it there for ease of wirin and stuff,just gotta make it look pretty thats all.
Its been ugly for too long!!!!

#4 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:14 PM

Id like to say that I put my battery in the boot for better weight distribution but I really did it so that I could make my engine bay neater for the times when I sit & stare at the car lol.

#5 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:48 PM

I put mine in the boot for better airflow for the triples, and also to make the engine bay neater. Its not really that hard to do!

#6 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:16 PM

just put the damb thing in the back, you won't regret it. do what i did, i ran 0 guage from the battery + to the starter, and earthed it in the boot, at the block (0 guage all the way through the car for that to) and then from the block to the chassis again. when i was going past my console i joined in some 3 guage (still bloody thick) and ran that up into a big splitter block, then ran the fuse box of that and ran a fwe more things, if i wanna ad something in i just go to the splitter block in the cab. easy.

#7 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:09 PM

I jump start cars for a living and can tell you that over distance there is a huge voltage drop. Make sure you use high amp and well isulated lead.
RACV MAN

#8 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:12 PM

Arent torry boots small enough as they are? Its not like youll be able to stash some of the groceries in the space where the battery was when you run out of room........

#9 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:09 AM

groceries??? in a torana???? what is this you speak of???

#10 LXdamo

LXdamo

Still Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:54 PM

Thanks guys,
pretty sure i'll leave it where it is for now.
gone a bit far for a grocery runner now.Got a week off in Jan so i'll get stuck in to it then.there are some pics of the the car at https://cache.gmh-to.../c66/DamosHatch

#11 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:48 PM

Put in the back you know you want to :D .Groceries?Whats a torana doing anywhere near a supermarket carpark in the first place <_< .

#12 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:42 PM

Obviously these cars are toys for boys, and have moms to do the shopping for you: ..........but what about when you want to dump some cold slabs in the boot, theyll be a bit foamy if youve gotta strap one in the engine compartment.
Dont let me stop you, if it looks good to you and you do it properly - no problem.

#13 Loui

Loui

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 02:08 AM

If you ever want to put the car on historic rego the battery will have to be up front

Just a thought

Cheers

Loui

#14 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:38 AM

Obviously these cars are toys for boys, and have moms to do the shopping for you: ..........but what about when you want to dump some cold slabs in the boot, theyll be a bit foamy if youve gotta strap one in the engine compartment.
Dont let me stop you, if it looks good to you and you do it properly - no problem.

yes, that, and i also have another car for groceries....can fit so many chocky bars in the back of the ute...

#15 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:47 AM

As much as i like a tidy engine bay, I think cars still need to be practical.
Ive seen heaps of LH/X's with battery moved to the boot, but then you just have an empty panel in the engine bay, like when people remove the heater box, the car looks empty.

#16 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:10 AM

I'm not concerned about the empty look, I'd be most concerned about practicality and functionality.

As you said, as nice as a clean bay looks, it really IS a heaache having a remote battery and you set yourself up for some headaches down the track. Even if you build a kick arse system straight up, as soon as you get some corrosio set in to the system your cranking power diminishes and you start having these little gremlins that give you the shits! The last thing you think of is the battery cause its been working fine!

Anyway.. For my money.. I'd repair the tray, put a nice odessey or optima battery up there ( more compact and they look trick as well as working better!), And with the rest of the money you saved buy a couple of cartons and sit back in the garage and admire your handywork instead of wrestling around under it with wiring and headaches ;)

Cheers.

#17 LXdamo

LXdamo

Still Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:43 PM

thanks for the comments guys,
will prob repair the battery tray and make up some nice
aluminium clamps to make it pretty.This will also help me
keep everything easy to fix if i have probs later on.Bring on the
holidays!!!!!!!
Damo

#18 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:08 AM

*snip* Obviously these cars are toys for boys *snip*

*cough* :rolleyes:

#19 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:08 PM

if your gonna go that way, spin your cap around 180 degrees and stroll into a ricer or car audio stoor. have a look at some of the wires and clamps ect they have, there not that expensive and look fantastic. imo a bling battery would be the next best thing to no battery at all.

#20 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 08:50 PM

Two comments on this. It is very hard and very expensive to make a boot mounted battery perform as well as an engine bay mounted one. Unless it's a show car or race car, the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages.

Oh, the second point - you would be amazed what you can still pack in an XU-1 boot with a boot mounted battery - two people, fully loaded with luggage (including beer) from Adelaide to Summernats for 5 days - no probs - but don't even think of trying to fit in an extra toothbrush! :D

#21 MODNIZD

MODNIZD

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Name:Phil
  • Car:4 Door LC RB25DET

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:08 AM

Mines in the boot with 4 gage from the rear to the front starter. Starts like normal and nothing fades or does anything stupid.

How do you guys have it fused?

#22 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 05:38 AM

As much as i like a tidy engine bay, I think cars still need to be practical.
Ive seen heaps of LH/X's with battery moved to the boot, but then you just have an empty panel in the engine bay, like when people remove the heater box, the car looks empty.

Some people like the empty/vacant look.

#23 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 05:16 PM

what is a mom?

Edited by jap-xu1, 11 January 2006 - 05:16 PM.

#24 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:04 PM

a mom is a typo for mum, mum is the female thing of which you come out of and then it spends 18 years worrying about you.

#25 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:06 PM

a mom is a typo for mum, mum is the female thing of which you come out of and then it spends 18 years worrying about you.

Does not stop at 18....

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users