Bare metal rust proofing LX undercarriage

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 _Cane_It_

_Cane_It_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:01 PM

the undercarriage is showing a few spots of minor surface rust on my lx, i'm strippign it for a ground up rebuild, was wondering what I should use as a rust converter. previous torana had it in the floor pan and i sprayed nitric acid to dissolve the rust and then nuetralised with water, water vac'd it out and got solvent onto it to remove the water before it could rust. for obvious reasons i cant do this underneath a car...
is there a good rust converter if not i guess its a long hard slog with the grinder / wire wheel. what should i use to rust proof the underside given that i want to do it properly and hopefully keep the car for a long time?

#2 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:53 AM

POR15

#3 LC69GTR

LC69GTR

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 05:34 PM

POR-15 Rust Preventive Paint, acknowledged worldwide as the finest rust preventive coating ever developed, stops rust permanently and is the product by which all others are measured.

POR-15

#4 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 07:25 PM

How much does it cost & where do you get it from over here as I was going to stoneguard mine but this product seems alot better.

#5 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 30 December 2005 - 07:46 PM

The above link in LC69GTR's post is the US site
The aussie one with locations and prices is here

http://www.ppc.au.com/

#6 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 08:45 PM

Thanks dattoman.

#7 _Cane_It_

_Cane_It_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2006 - 06:42 PM

definitely going to need that stuff now, somehow moisture has accumulated in the boot during storage and the corrosion looks much more aggressive now. at least theres only minimal surface rust in the undercarriage. i still need to gather up so many tools though, spraygun, air compressor, etc etc, this project feels like two steps foward and one step back even though the car is at an excellent starting point. cant wait to get started on this car in earnest...

#8 _workinprogress_

_workinprogress_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2006 - 08:03 PM

im sure you will get a warning with the paint when you buy it but just incase you dont believe the warnings DONT GET IT ON YOUR HANDS OR ANYWHERE ELSE. If you put a drop on your skin it will stay there for a couple of weeks. No matter how much you scrub once that stuff dries it stays put. I would advise using gloves if you are using a paintbrush to apply it and if you are going to spray it then use breathing gear.

#9 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:00 PM

What a great product! It's in the favourites folder!

#10 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:20 PM

I've in the process of doing my whole undercarridge in it.

I've just been using a wire brush wheel on my angle grinder which takes it back to bare metal easily and running over the surface with wax and grease remover, then brushing on the POR15.

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see, its actually shinner and better looking than powdercoat (trailing arms and diff)

Edit: it's pretty pricey. I paid $80 for a 1L tin. But its worth every cent...

Edited by QIKSLR, 05 January 2006 - 12:22 PM.

#11 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 02:02 PM

And how far did 1 ltr get you QIKSLR?
Looks great by the way....

#12 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 05 January 2006 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for posting the pics QIKSLR, great to see what it looks like. With a finish like that, I wouldn't even bother trying to paint an undercarriage in normal paint! Let us know if it stays looking that nice and shiney after some road use (eg. what does it look like after a few months of driving)....

Great stuff...

#13 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:49 PM

I also fully recommend POR15, i use it everywhere now... Looks GREAT and durable as anything. and As workinprogress said DO NOT get it on your skin... I learnt the hard way as did workinprogress by the sounds of it hehe :)

-Viper

#14 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:17 PM

So apart from the prep work, is that the result you got from simply BRUSHING on one coat of POR15?

#15 gtr235

gtr235

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:LC GTR

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:42 PM

I sprayed the under carriage of my LC with POR 15, 6 weeks ago while it was on the rotisserie and it came up a treat (I have pics but I don't know how to post them). One litre was enough to spray two coats under the LC. I can also confirm that if you get it on your skin it takes three weeks to come off.

#16 _Cane_It_

_Cane_It_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2006 - 10:35 PM

how far did 1 ltr get you QIKSLR? also did you use the other prep stuff that POR15 recommends or just straight onto the wirebrushed baremetal finish?

#17 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:48 AM

Well first I bought a 500ml tin and I went through that. I got the rear half done with the 500m, but I wouldn't mind giving a few more coats in some places.

I'd say about 1.5L to do the lot nicely.

The one thing I recommend is get a high quality paint brush. The finish is only as good as the brush. I've stuffed up a few areas where theres ugly brush marks in it. But I'm not too fussed as its still a massive improvement on how it was.

I'm not sure what they recommend, but after the wire brushing I cleaned it all down with wax and grease remover to get any crap off. Theres still dirt after the wirebrush as it shows up on the rag. So its worth doing.

Edited by QIKSLR, 08 January 2006 - 09:49 AM.

#18 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:40 PM

Will this stuff stick to fibreglass?

#19 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:34 PM

Will this stuff stick to fibreglass?

fibreglass doesnt rust??

#20 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:13 PM

There is a fibreglass patch over where some rust used to be. So if the sheetmetal is painted, the fibreglass patch will also be painted.

So does it stick to fibreglass?

#21 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 12:24 PM

I haven't tried, but I'd say so.. If it can stain your skin for weeks, i'd say it'll stick.

#22 _jugs_

_jugs_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:05 PM

It will stick to fibre glass and its also hammer tuff, meaning if you were to paint it on a bit of metal,let it dry, then put it on the ground and flog the sh!t out it, it will not crack or chip.....we have samples to prove it at work that we show our customers

Cheers Jugs

#23 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:27 PM

Thanks for the reply about the fibreglass.

#24 _dazzaslr308_

_dazzaslr308_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:05 PM

guys i can tell u that por 15 is amazing i actually told qikslr about it cause my boss used it on the floorpan of his vw,s he has used it on all 5 he has restored and all of them were done before i started working for him 5 years ago and when u put them on the hoist the por 15 still looks like it was put on just yesterday. so that should give u some idea of the quality of this paint. regards darrin.

#25 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:46 AM

POR15 has some amazing properties. It was developed by one of the industrial groups for lighthouse type of environment buildings. They then released it to the automotive groups as POR15. You can get it cheaper (not badged as POR15) but for the ease which POR have made it they become a great source of starting. Their other products are great too.

Cheers

PS: Is unreal in a trailer environment. The tubs never rust and the surface is like a steel membrae.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users