S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:05 PM

The Lip is bent down on the back part of my Lip,  you can see it in the Photo Dave. The Spacer Plate in the Engine mount only has to make it clear the Lip and who said the spacer plate was 100"  in thickness ?

And yes i said in other Post you need to take the Lip off,  But remember you are not using the XW7 Engine mounts with the Spacer Plates in them, for them Conversions.

Remember posting this Al?

Hi xgtr, I would say yes, going off your hacked floor shift hole and the trailing arm lip bent down is tell tale sign, GMH Engineering bent my lip down as well so 308 V8 starter motor does not fow on that Lip, reason they bent it down.

xgtr's cross member pic below.

post-42782-0-07434500-1478017641.png

You claim the lip on the above cross member is bent down the same as yours to clear a V8 starter motor however the

lip on the brace arm of the above cross member has not been tampered with, it is totally factory original other than the scallop ground

out of the back plate on the arm.

Edited by S pack, 23 December 2016 - 10:06 PM.

#227 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:05 AM

Yeah it has a grove taken out of it, yet he says it had a V8 in it Dave ?? My Lip is bent down in the rear part of it, and looks to be trimmed down when I went and took the passenger side wheel off today,. Dave ummm HHS on there records have said my GTR is one of the Three GTR's , Have you heard of HHS at all lol

#228 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:16 AM

I have been interviewed by journalists a lot higher up the food chain than him and they got it wrong and added their own twist to it to make it more newsworthy.

Journalists from every field have little respect for thruth when a story is being sought after.

He was the Editor of a Wheels magazine for years and years, Holden had him at the release of the LJ in Qld at the first Press testing of the LJ release, no doubt he would of knew of the V8 LJ coming, ummm Even Evan Green knew about them did he not. Robbo is one of the most respected motoring Journo around. Evan Green was a Newspaper Journo at the SMH, yet he knew about the Cars and the Phase 4 as well. Not all Journo are the same.

Edited by xu2308, 24 December 2016 - 12:21 AM.

#229 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:19 AM

XA Falcon Police car in Canberra Attached File  image.jpg   72.27K   0 downloads

#230 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:29 AM

XA Falcon Police car in Canberra attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Yeah, so what, it's an XA Falcon 500 Canberra Police car. It's well known that Police in various jurisdictions used Ford Falcons as police cars. In the day Queensland used mostly Ford Falcons for Police duties and their Highway Pursuit cars were only the 302 V8, no 351's.

#231 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:35 AM

Yeah it has a grove taken out of it, yet he says it had a V8 in it Dave ?? My Lip is bent down in the rear part of it, and looks to be trimmed down when I went and took the passenger side wheel off today,. Dave ummm HHS on there records have said my GTR is one of the Three GTR's , Have you heard of HHS at all lol

Hahahaha. wriggle wriggle.

Don't worry Al, I will talk to Ben about the GTR's.

Al, which one of the GTR Prototypes was Harry Firth was testing in mid April 1972?

#232 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:39 AM

My thoughts on just what so far has been said......   I would agree with Al, that the Police would have wanted V8 XU1.   They have always wanted the highest powered cars available for Highway Patrol.   NSW Police chose Bathurst motored LJ GTR's because they were the fastest available at the time. (along with 351 falcons 4door and two door)   I have also seen a video of a reported Phaze 4 falcon patrolling Western Australia highways. 

So just saying.  I believe the police definitely would have wanted V8 LJ's..   as they took the next best thing in the Bathurst motored GTR..  

All the rest I have no idea about....   :)   

#233 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:49 AM

My thoughts on just what so far has been said......   I would agree with Al, that the Police would have wanted V8 XU1.   They have always wanted the highest powered cars available for Highway Patrol.   NSW Police chose Bathurst motored LJ GTR's because they were the fastest available at the time. (along with 351 falcons 4door and two door)   I have also seen a video of a reported Phaze 4 falcon patrolling Western Australia highways. 

So just saying.  I believe the police definitely would have wanted V8 LJ's..   as they took the next best thing in the Bathurst motored GTR..  

All the rest I have no idea about....   :)   

I agree Ian they would have wanted them but the average plod would not have had the opportunity to test drive a V8 LJ.

Some states had only one officer assigned to perform vehicle testing duties and make recommendations to his superiors for their consideration.

And they had to wait until late 1973 to get those dressed down XU1's.

Edited by S pack, 24 December 2016 - 06:51 AM.

#234 RM125n

RM125n

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Car:TORANA

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:03 AM

Personally I wouldnt take what a journalist has written as anything like the truth.
I have been interviewed by journalists and the difference between what I told them and what was published was huge.
It could have just been a chat to one cop asking what would you think about a V8 LJ.
It could have also been typical journalist stuff by embelishing a story with a bit of bull crap.
So as far as evidence goes that doesnt make the grade.

I Also agree with your comments

#235 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:23 AM

He was the Editor of a Wheels magazine for years and years, Holden had him at the release of the LJ in Qld at the first Press testing of the LJ release, no doubt he would of knew of the V8 LJ coming, ummm Even Evan Green knew about them did he not. Robbo is one of the most respected motoring Journo around. Evan Green was a Newspaper Journo at the SMH, yet he knew about the Cars and the Phase 4 as well. Not all Journo are the same.

Taking the word of a journalist is like taking the word of a lawyer or used car salesman.

They all run by the creed of not letting the truth get in the way of a good story.

Now if you find Robbo and he can remember the details of the conversation that might go close, but remember that time has a tendency to cloud the facts a little.

If he still has his notes from the time, then they might provide some insight.

No doubt the coppers would have wanted them but that would probably be an individuals perspective and not an official one.

Therefore as evidence that fails the test.

#236 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,538 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:46 AM

xu2308

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• photo-thumb-7283.jpg?_r=1376378356
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 4,240 posts
  • Name:al
  • Car:April 1972 LJ GTR, First Owner GMH Salmon st. Port Melbourne
car.png View Garage

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:58 AM

Hi Sam, there is a caption near the 6 photos if you look. The top photo is of the rat trap that has Pink inscribed chalk markings on it done by GMH Engineering, and Pink Chalk Markings is the colour GMH Engineering used.

Hi Al, I'm sure you will remember making this post about the AMC article on your car in your Pink V8 Prototype thread.

What a load of ...............
What pink chalk markings on the rat trap? You really expect chalk to stay on those parts for 40 plus years?
Besides, that isn't the original rat trap for that car. It isn't even an LC/LJ rat trap.

Edited by S pack, 24 December 2016 - 07:47 AM.

#237 RM125n

RM125n

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Car:TORANA

Posted 24 December 2016 - 08:00 AM

Your version of the Truth,  Not  what Tony Fitz told me RM125N

I feel so sorry for you XU2308 that you have to rely on Hear say instead of researching the facts.

Anyone restoring a EX NSW police Torana should not rely on his FALSE INFORMATION as you will be hounded by "the real Mc Coys" at a car show.

TONY FITZARELD is a HWY PATROL EXPERT from 17/3/1975

XU2308 START showing documents that your car had a V8 in it from May 1973

#238 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,034 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:45 AM

I don't know if they were built by Holden or the Police private skunk works, but the 5 litre VL Commodores used by the coppers around Kalgoorlie and the Eyre Hwy were pretty wild bits of gear. They made a Group A look very slow. Listening to them idle, it sounded like they had a cam up around 280 degrees duration. Way lumpier than anything Holden has used in any other road car. I also had a quick glance under the rear of one of these cars and saw that it had Bilstein shocks fitted. 

I am only mentioning this to highlight the fact that over the years the police have not been afraid to use modified cars for their work. The only reason that it still doesn't happen would be Oc Health and Safety. 

Attached File  156910_468959690964_645975964_6409082_936301_n.jpg   72.7K   0 downloads

#239 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:02 AM

.750_500_csupload_23446916.jpg?u=19653293666_500_csupload_23447177.jpg?u=35049452666_500_csupload_23447619.jpg?u=37277741666_500_csupload_23447795.jpg?u=72900779

#240 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:27 AM

Taking the word of a journalist is like taking the word of a lawyer or used car salesman.

They all run by the creed of not letting the truth get in the way of a good story.

Now if you find Robbo and he can remember the details of the conversation that might go close, but remember that time has a tendency to cloud the facts a little.

No doubt the coppers would have wanted them but that would probably be an individuals perspective and not an official one.

I'm sorry Rob, not taking sides here.  But the evidence that was there for everyone to see still stands.      Yes I agree with what you have said about Journo's Lawyer's, and used car salesmen.   and in particular Journalist's , they will say what ever there told too, or have a definite bias towards a product or perspective.  But here we have,  a very respected Journo, who was talking about the Police wanting them.   I would assume,  that if he was coving the story, and the Police said that they DID NOT WANT them for what ever reason, he would have wrote that in his story.   

We all know the V8 LJ was only a few weeks away from production.   And of cause the police would want access to what would one day end up as production road cars.   What do the German Police us on the Autobahn???   Not diesel merc's I bet.... 

Just saying,   .. the journo put into words,  his thoughts on the V8 LJ.   You can dispute his ethics all day, but you cannot deny what he put into print back in 1973... :)

#241 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:38 AM

Then there's this weapon .....   http://www.news.com....093c6b7c95e8561

#242 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 11:05 AM

Get what you are saying Ian.

And I realise that cops would have loved them. Who wouldnt have?

But was it an official want, or a personal want of an officer or few officers?

And journalists have long been known for putting into print unsubstantiated information.

Ive had my supposed comments published twice by journalists.

Neither time was it published anything like what I told the journalist. The intent was there but the content was changed significantly.

I have seen others misquoted many times as well.

#243 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 03:24 AM

Yeah, so what, it's an XA Falcon 500 Canberra Police car. It's well known that Police in various jurisdictions used Ford Falcons as police cars. In the day Queensland used mostly Ford Falcons for Police duties and their Highway Pursuit cars were only the 302 V8, no 351's.

Yeah, so what

#244 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 03:31 AM

Robbo must of been told that the Police Wanted them, or he would not of put it in the Story, Simple as that.

#245 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 03:41 AM

xu2308

•  
  • Members
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 4,240 posts
  •  
  • Name:al
  •  
  •  
  • Car:April 1972 LJ GTR, First Owner GMH Salmon st. Port Melbourne
  •  
  •  

​Dave its not normal Chalk mate, it be more like welders type chalk marking stuff i assume, and it is a LJ Rat Trap.

And a Person who owns a Special Monaro that GMH owned and Experimental Engineering worked on has the same Pink markings on parts on his Monaro and a Ex Experimental Engineer told him they used Pink Colour to Mark the parts, that is how i found out about it.

Edited by xu2308, 28 December 2016 - 03:45 AM.

#246 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 03:47 AM

Then there's this weapon .....   http://www.news.com....093c6b7c95e8561

​Well Well Well

NSW Police love these Powerful Cars

#247 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 03:52 AM

I feel so sorry for you XU2308 that you have to rely on Hear say instead of researching the facts.

Anyone restoring a EX NSW police Torana should not rely on his FALSE INFORMATION as you will be hounded by "the real Mc Coys" at a car show.

TONY FITZARELD is a HWY PATROL EXPERT from 17/3/1975

XU2308 START showing documents that your car had a V8 in it from May 1973

Tony Fitz

is the Expert on it RM125n

NOT YOU

#248 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 04:33 AM

Hahahaha. wriggle wriggle.

Don't worry Al, I will talk to Ben about the GTR's.

Al, which one of the GTR Prototypes was Harry Firth was testing in mid April 1972?

Yes

Talk to Ben

HHS know which 3-GTR's they are,  HDT Took the Pink V8 Prototype to Calder for a Comparison Test on the 31/5/1972, Brocky drove the Pink V8 Prototype and Bondy drove the 6Cyl HDT LJ XU1, No doubt in the month of May is when Ian Tate had it to Drive and Ian said the Pink V8 Prototype only had 6 Cyl rego, he says it in AMC issue 9 (The V8 XU1 Story, Ian Tate interview) and he says about it only having 6 Cyl rego in the HDT Chevron DVD as well.

I have told you the 3-GTR's PSN numbers, All 3 were Built on the 13/4/1972 and are all 000 M cars (GMH Port Melbourne)

One Was Lone o Ranger (Orange)

One Was Strike me Pink  (Pink)

One Was White (White)

Now Feb 1975 Tender Sheet that List the Lone o Ranger LJ GTR PSN number L199912 that was Running a V8 for 18 Months, Vic Rego Number LGN307,  PSN L199912 was Built on the 13/4/1972 and a 000 M car.

If you look on your LJ Torana Warranty Disc at PSN L199912 and look hard there are TWO other LJ GTR's Built on the 13/4/1972 and are 000 M (GMH Port Melbourne) and one of them is Strike me Pink.

Ummmmmmmmmmm One was Orange  and one was Strike me Pink, that is FACT, So the Lone o Ranger GTR V8 Prototype Built on the 13/4/1972 and My Strike me Pink GTR Built on the 13//4/1972 and Both a 000 M Cars. and PSN L199911 was the White Car.

Attached File  Orange V8 LJ GTR Prototype.jpg   25.62K   31 downloadsAttached File  Ian Tate Pink Prototype only had 6cyl rego.jpg   72.53K   1 downloads

#249 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:13 AM

In case you guy's have not seen this Web Page before..  http://historical-po...ut-Us.html       It may be some help to someone ??

#250 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:37 AM

Robbo must of been told that the Police Wanted them, or he would not of put it in the Story, Simple as that.

You seem to be getting slightly delusional.

My whole point is that journalists are well known for stretching the truth and embellishing stories to make them read better.

Journalists lie. Journalists misquote. Journalists will voice their own opinions as a twist of something someone has said.

There is no way of knowing the origins of the supposed quote.

SImple as that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users