2pin plug in engine bay

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 04:49 PM

Hello everyone, probably an easy question but what is the black 2pin connector plug next to the engine harness connector for? This is in an LX hatch.
I did my own wiring loom so I probably doubled up on some wires. This 2pin plug I'm speaking of is not connected to anything at the moment but the V6 we're installing tomorrow has this plug in the v6's engine wiring loom...
I'm thinking fusible link but I'm not sure! :D

#2 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:09 PM

got a picture?

#3 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:31 PM

Just a guess, the heater fan is connected by a two wire connector, typically a three terminal connector with only 2 occupied orange and yellow. The other possibility is another 3 way connector which was used to power the emission control items, pink wires.

#4 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:41 PM

Theres a black 2pin connector with a brown wire & a white wire that goes from the alternator through the starter harness that plugs into a fusible link off the battery from memory,is that it?

#5 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:14 PM

It looks like a 3 pin connentor (same sort of shape as the fan switch (pyramid), but the top connector is blank). There's actually 3 wires but two of them go to the same terminal (Those wires are pink coloured).
The wire which is separate to the other two is grey - maybe a light blue (it's hard to tell).
Thankyou.

Edited by Flamenco, 04 January 2006 - 06:14 PM.

#6 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:21 PM

I know the wires your talking about, my LS1 in the LX doesnt use these wires but the other 2 LX's I have do (stock) will go follow the wires.

#7 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:24 PM

Thanks for that LS1LX. :D

#8 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:07 PM

Ok on the 5000 the other end of the harness goes into orange and pink wires, but some goose has spliced into the wiring somewhere.

I think they run to the sender units.

I'll have to check my 3300, its untouched so the wires should be fine.

#9 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:08 PM

any pics? it sounds familiar

#10 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:23 PM

I'll go take a pic now & post it up in about 10mins...

#11 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:27 PM

Vacuum advance switch for manual gearbox? Or inhibitor switch for auto maybe?
RACV MAN

#12 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:37 PM

Thanks everyone for all the help!

Here is a pic of the plug I'm talking about :
Posted Image
The plug is taped into the wiring loom and comes out the same place as the engine harness plug (it sits right beside it near the brake booster in the engine bay).
I noticed on the plug that it also says B C A - corresponding to each terminal of the plug.
(I know my engine bay is nice and clean! :D )

#13 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 08:43 PM

I misread the 1st post.Do the lx's have a wire for the kickdown solenoid or is it inside the car.On my old lx it had that plug but it wasnt connected to anything,that or the previous owner had changed the wiring as it started as a sunbird.

#14 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 08:46 PM

In my opinion definitely emission control wires(wires to vac advance solenoid etc-which most dont have any more),the two pink wires on the one connector give it away. The pink wires come from the fuse panel, they are connected to a thick pink wire via a fuse and should only be live when the ign is in the on position.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 04 January 2006 - 08:49 PM.

#15 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 08:51 PM

That sounds like the most likely answer devilsadvocate, Thankyou. My 173 LH engine I put in there doesn't run any of that gear...
I'm running a trimatic atm out of a UC - It kicks down by itself but I don't think there's a switch fitted as factory.
Thanks to everyone who responded!
:D

#16 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 08:55 PM

Posted Image

here it is mate, one wire is the negative wire for the tacho, the other goes to a pinkish wire that goes down into the main harness on the engine as you can probably see. I can investigate tomorrow

#17 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:05 PM

Thanks for that Mick!- I wonder (just out of curiosity) why my SL would have the tacho wire? I guess they didn't make a different loom for every model though.

#18 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:10 PM

Yes, the other wire should be brown as in reda9x's pic, and is the wire to go to the coil/tacho. Flamenco: you didnt mention a brown?, anyway, there arent any other pink wires that make their way(legitimately) so we have the right one.

Interestingly, just looked at the gregory's diagram for the UC and they show all of this as one big 9 terminal connector, how confusing is that. Obviously the Lh was just a six terminal connector(and they had plenty left over) and went with those and an additional 3 way.

Re kick down switch, all traumatics have them afaik. It is a switch that is attached to the accelerator pedal bracket and is triggered when it gets near the floor, hence the name. It is electrically connected to a solenoid on the transmission,none of the wires go through the engine compartment.
Re the tacho wire, yes it easier to put the same loom in all of them.
Not unlike some home electronics where higher models had more features, but the units were all identical on the inside, just provision had been made with a switch for the feature etc.

#19 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:11 PM

It looks like the pink wire goes to the fuseable link on the starter motor? maybe I'll see what I can find tomorrow

Edited by REDA9X, 04 January 2006 - 11:12 PM.

#20 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:40 PM

apologies if this post turns up again, thought it was sent...

Anyway, as I stated previously, the pink wire(s) are for connection to the daisy chain of items that make up the emission controls as well as the idle solenoid, and they get power when in the start and on mode.

#21 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:08 PM

THE single pink wire goes to the anti deisoling solinoid on the carby.

#22 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:25 PM

Thanks devilsadvocate & REDA9X, I'll be hooking up the loom and the rest of the wiring in the V6 shortly so at least I know what this wire is for now. It seems a bit daunting hooking up all the sensors etc but I'm sure i'll get it eventually! :spoton:

#23 _dazzaslr308_

_dazzaslr308_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:44 PM

the plug in question is for the gearbox wiring.

#24 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 12:05 AM

the plug in question is for the gearbox wiring.

AHHH No it's not, we already know what it's for and where it goes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users