_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:52 PM

duct tape pls. u kno what my pics r like. lol. Ta tinkers

#4 _BoltZ_

_BoltZ_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:53 PM

I think it's worth mentioning that the HQ-style ones can still be used in an LH/X, i've been running that setup with no dramas.

Cheers

#5 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 06:51 PM

isn't it the HQ ones that raise or lower engine???

#6 _BoltZ_

_BoltZ_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:37 PM

I'm really not sure... probably raise knowing my luck! LX ones weren't available at the time so i pretty much had no choice..

#7 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:18 PM

i think the hq mounts lower the engine as i have had many questions at car shows on how i got my engine so low in the bay. I didnt think it was that low but its been mentioned several times

#8 LXdamo

LXdamo

Still Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Name:Damo
  • Car:bits here bits there.....

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:43 PM

would i be worth while changing to Hq engine mounts on my injected 5L to lower and move the engine forward a touch for more clearance on the heater box?

The next one i do will have the heater box modified as per toranamuk's previous photo

#9 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:33 PM

The HQ ones look about 4mm lower to me.
R

#10 _torana05_

_torana05_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:43 PM

Rory, HQ ones do sit the engine lower by about 4-5mm, the only problem is after a while the rubber mounts sag, causing the sump to rub on the crossmember. I am currently remaking the original style ones, should be available in around a week,

Andrew.

#11 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:29 PM

Does it actually move it further forward with hq mounts or not?

#12 _ozbox_

_ozbox_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:23 PM

hq mounts move the motor back....difference is about 5 ml from torana mounts..

#13 _Toranamuk_

_Toranamuk_
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 11:48 PM

I have a block on the engine stand with Torana mounts bolted on.

I have started to re-measure it up with a reference height to the crank centre, then I'll re-measure it with the HQ type brackets fitted so i can give you an exact height & block position reference (back or forth), & let people know what exactly what the difference is.

I did it well over 10 years ago & from memory the Torana mounts were 1/4" (6mm) higher & the engine sat back further too, but when checking the mounts for rorym there is no LH or RH bracket, they are both the same (& I've checked several originals & the Repo's that i had made).

Maybe it was just because when i changed some mount brackets the engine sat higher, that it also appeared to sit back further as well.

I know that using the original Torana brackets aids in extractor clearance & steering knuckle clearance on the drivers side. Down side being less tappet cover clearance at the booster with tall covers fitted.

I don't see myself completing this before mid April, too many race meets happening & too many cars competing, but i will get it done.

Craig

#14 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2007 - 09:45 AM

damo i know that if you are using the comm mounts you wont be able to close your bonnet, my brother had that problem when he dropped a inj 5L in his HZ pano, i reckon he fixed that by putting a scoop on it :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool: brothers :rolleyes:

#15 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 06:10 PM

Doesn't anyone own a set of verniers? - that would be the easiest way to tell.

M@

#16 _Toranamuk_

_Toranamuk_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:55 AM

If only it was so easy,

The mounts bolt to the block on approx a 45deg to the crank, so just because the bracket is higher by "Xmm" doesnt mean the engine is lifted by that much due to the angle that they bolt to the block.

Thats why i'll do a measure up on the block & measure it to the crank centre line.

LX8VD69, would be very curiuos to see Commodore brackets used in any other model as a bolt in fit, if you have a look at the first picture of the brackets you will see the offset difference in the brackets.
The commodore brackets would sit the sump right into the middle of the chassis subframe.

From HQ on, all the rubber mounts are the same, HQ to WB & includes VB to VT rubber mounts. I am uder the impression that L34 rubber mounts were slightly different/ stiffer, but i cant confirm this.

Craig

Edited by Toranamuk, 28 February 2007 - 10:07 AM.

#17 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 05:55 PM

I'ts almost that easy though, if the brackets are Xmm different in hieght and mounted at 45 degrees then they will change the height of the engine by
X * 0.707 (1/root2 or cos45).

M@

#18 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 06:50 PM

yup mats right. basic trig...

#19 _Toranamuk_

_Toranamuk_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:43 PM

& does this formula also tell you the set back difference between the different type of mounts ???????

Its not only the height difference we are looking at, it is also the set back (or forth).

#20 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:20 AM

the calculation is the same.
45 degrees one way is 45 degrees the other way.
so if it turns out to be 1/4 inch up itll be 6mm back.

#21 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:17 PM

If you look at the mounts from side on, they are not mounted at 45 degrees (going by memory here), they are vertical so if you just measure the difference in offset from the holes that bolt to the block to the holes that bolt to the rubber mounts between the 2 different types of mounting brackets then it should give you the distance for how far back they will set the engine.

I hope I explained that clearly enough. :D

M@

#22 _Toranamuk_

_Toranamuk_
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:14 PM

I appreciate what your saying, & yes the calculations are simple & close, but as we all know on how many contributing factors are involved when mechanical items are bolted in place, any things possible.

Toranamat, when you look at the side of the engine block, the mounting brackets are bolted to the side of the block on close to a 45deg angle, it is a "V"8, hence the mounts are on the side of the block at an angle.

I'm not sure i understand what part of the mount you believe is bolted on vertically ?

This may all sound simple to calculate, but having changed so many engine combinations over my 20yrs building performance engines & doing modifications, & (mainly hi-po Torana's for the first 15 years), i have had to alter gearbox mounts to reposition them to where they should sit, rectify custom fan shrouds & all sorts of wonderful "custom" things that owners or their mechanics have done when i have fitted the correct engine mounting brackets.

I am not doing this for my own sake, it is to help other Torana enthusiast if they are interested in what i have learnt in my years of playing with Torana's, after all, Holden aren't totally stupid, they don't spend $$$$$ for no reason to redesign something for no reason, we sometimes just need to understand why, even if it is 30 years later.

Craig

#23 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 02:54 PM

when you put it like that craig it sounds like more then just simple trig! Cheers for going to the hassle to do this in practise as i am interested to know, but for a v8.

Leigh

#24 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:45 PM

Don't let me hold you back, I'm sure both ways will give the answer we want - just goes to show there is more than 1 way to skin a cat.

Some food for thought though, where are you going to measure to and from on your test front end?

The torana front subframe is a bugger of a thing with almost no straight edges to measure from.

I am going to have to go and have a look at how the mounts bolt onto a holden V8 now - I am about 90% sure they are vertical when viewed side on.
(by side on- I mean if you were looking from next to the front wheel looking at the side of the engine. And when I say vertical I mean the top of the engine mount does not tilt toward the front or back of the car)

#25 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 03:49 PM

Whilst we are talking about engine mounts, I am still looking for a set of Torana mounts with a V8 block and sump to check clearance to my power steer rack to borrow for a short while if someone has some lying around.

I won't hurt them I promise.

M@

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users