418 replies to this topic

#26 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:48 PM

Updated the Cardomain page again - page 2 has the new stuff.

Have been tinkering away on the power steer over the holidays even if it has been a bloody million degrees celcius for the last 4 weeks in Brissy!!!
My PC is in the hottest room in the house - hence why I am a bit quiet recently.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/480776/2

I have finally sus'd out why there is a bump steer problem with the Cortina rack that CRS could never get rid of - I may or may not be able to solve the problem.

Does anyone on the forum know anyone with the Cortina setup in an LX or have any pics? I want to confirm my suspicions on this one.

The further I get into things, the more I like the WRX rack - the testing will tell all I suppose.

M@

#27 _J&S Racing_

_J&S Racing_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:32 AM

Speak tp IGOTSH he had a hatch with a cortina power steering rack.

#28 _Hurricane_

_Hurricane_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:06 PM

hey all im just wondering how possible, easy, and the price it would be to get power steering in a lx hatch torana??

#29 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:15 PM

I think i've heard of using Cortinas steering racks etc but I'm not sure of the compressor that you would use. Correct me if I'm wrong but I expect there is a lot involved. We could do with some more tech articles :) (not attacking anyone here, in fact i'm happy to help out with anything you need)

By the way, wrong section mate.

#30 _Hurricane_

_Hurricane_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 09:23 PM

is there any shops in perth that perform power steering conversion or will do it at a price as i would have no idea at all how to do this unless someone was to help me :fool:

Edited by Hurricane, 09 January 2006 - 09:24 PM.

#31 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:55 PM

G'day Hurricane,

I though the other power steer thread had a lot more info in it but we must have lost all that on the old forum.

To sum it up - the only power steer kit anyone has put on the market for the LH/X/UC was the CRS kit which uses a TE/TF cortina power steer system (rare as rocking horse poo). You send off the x-member, steering rack, steering arms and they mod them for ??$400??? You work out the pump using HZ setup and make custom lines.

Basically they mod your drivers side engine mount, ream out the steering arms to suit the Cortina tie rods, mount the steering rack on the Torana front end (and I think they must also swap the rotary valve around and mod the hydraulic lines accordingly on the rack).

Last time someone I know checked with CRS, they were jacking up about doing the conversion because they could never cure the bumpsteer in it - they will not give any more details. They may or may not do it for you.

I now have a Cortina power rack to muck around with if you look on my cardomain page - I believe the bump steer issue is as follows.

You can't get the rack centre line to line up with the Torana's X-member centre line.
The only way I can think to fix this will end up with the cortina rack having to be widened between the inner balljoints from 620mm to about 645mm.
This being the case, the Wrx rack one is 650mm between inner balljoints and I recond I can mod one to 640mm and the racks are far more available, much lighter and they have a fair bit quicker steering ratio compared with the Cortina ones.

I am only fairly early on in this process - if you can wait a bit longer, I may have it all worked out for you - otherwise, start looking for a Cortina one and start hassling CRS.

M@

Edited by Toranamat69, 10 January 2006 - 05:58 PM.

#32 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 06:42 PM

Toranamat69 is the wrx rack front mount like the torana & cortina rack? You say the wrx rack is 650mm from iner ball joint to ball joint. If you were to mount the reack higher or lower (wichever) wouldnt that fix the bumpsteer issues. What is the lenth of the torana rack from bj to bj? Im assuming that your 645mm messurment is of a torana.

Back to the cortina rack option. If the rack is shorter that means the tie rod)NOT TIE ROD END) will start from a lower pivot point correct? By using HQ stubs doesnt the tie rod end sit lower then it would with torana stubs. Now wouldnt that bring the angle of the tie rod back to parralel with the lower controll arm. and elminate bump steer..

Just a thought.. If its dumm just tell me im stupid lol

john

#33 _Hurricane_

_Hurricane_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 08:13 PM

hey finally some1 replyed haha..... yes i will have to start hasseling CRS as i have no idea about steering in cars (none at all) and hopefully you will have this figured out by the time i can find a cheapish lx hatch under 6000 (so far been a really difficult task :( ) ....

p.s. sorry if this is a really stupid question , whats bump steer (never heard of it before? )

p.s. 2, who's CRS :huh:

cheers Brendon

Edited by Hurricane, 10 January 2006 - 08:16 PM.

#34 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:15 PM

Bumpsteer is when the wheels move in or out excessively when going over a bump. That's the very basic answer and should suffice you. Several people here can go into a lot more detail if you require. CRS is the Castlemaine Rod Shop, located in Chewtown, near castlemaine in VIC ( 03 ) 5472 2853. Good luck in finding ANY good LX hatch, let alone one for under $6K. You would ( might ) have more luck finding a UC hatch.

#35 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 11:22 PM

www.rodsracks.com.au

Talk to this guy. I am sure he might be able to help you... his work is unbelievible!!

Cheers

#36 _Hurricane_

_Hurricane_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2006 - 11:29 PM

wats the price range for an lx hatch runnin condition or just no engine or gear box ??

#37 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:54 AM

ToranaSS, yes the WRX are front mount like the LX's - they will result in a steering ratio of approx 17.5:1 which is nice - the Cortina ones are the same ratio as the standard Torana racks - I also reckon (but yet unconfirmed) the impreza rack should be identical to the WRX one but with a ratio closer to 22:1 if that is what you prefer.

The LX Torana's inner balljoints are spaced at 625mm - this is what I was trying to get as close as possible to. You can compensate for the wider inner balljoints by raising the position of the rack. I am not sure how much clearance a 308 has to the steering rack - it would help even if you raised it 10mm. My engine sits about 9.6mm above the steering rack so I have no where to go.

The different steering arms help to fine tune the bump steer but unfortunately if you cannot get the inner balljoints right, you will never get the bumpsteer right.

The tie rod does not necessarily need to be parallel with the lower control arm. It can be but it also depends how high the rack is mounted.

M@

Edited by Toranamat69, 11 January 2006 - 12:56 AM.

#38 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 06:21 PM

www.rodsracks.com.au

Talk to this guy. I am sure he might be able to help you... his work is unbelievible!!

Cheers

Cannot Find Server.

#39 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 06:25 PM

was up last night. seems his server has gone down... :S Check again later!!

Cheers

#40 _Hurricane_

_Hurricane_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:57 PM

were is rod racks placed exzactly and does he do interstate?

#41 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 12 January 2006 - 01:16 PM

THANKS GUYS! i'm in the shite now!, got busted under the hubbies scoobie with a tape measure and now he thinks i gonna rip it apart (i wasnt honestly!)
I'm now banned from the tool box lol

#42 _Hurricane_

_Hurricane_
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2006 - 04:23 PM

hahaha good one we could of had the measurements :P good try ^_^

#43 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 13 January 2006 - 10:26 AM

had the tape measure stretched out and he pulled on my legs and dragged me out and here i am, laying on the garage scooter, tape measure in hand, trying to look innocent :rolleyes: (i'll give it a week and try again lol)

#44 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:02 AM

Yes Rod does do interstate and he is based in QLD.

Cheers

#45 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 02 February 2006 - 03:42 PM

Any update Matt?

Grant..

#46 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 05:28 PM

G'day Grant, I am just waiting for some parts and measuring tools from the US and I can get back into this.

I still have a bit of cleaning and prep work to do on the control arms before then but I still have a week at least to clean the old paint off and get them looking good.

Probably be about 2 weeks before I have some control arms to bolt back onto the subframes and start testing stuff out.

M@

#47 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 02:39 PM

BUMP

#48 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:51 PM

G'day Grant,

Still here, jusy updated the cardomain again with a few more bits. almost ready to start doing some real constructive stuff.

I am now looking for a pair of HQ to HZ stub axles (even a loan would be good) so I don't have to measure the ones on my car.

Also looking for one LH or LX upper control arm.

M@

#49 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 11:40 PM

Did you wanna pop out to the club meeting on Monday nte and we'll ask everyone?

Grant..

#50 _LX_SSnatch_

_LX_SSnatch_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2006 - 09:55 PM

Hi all

Very interested in this power steering artical. I and my father have atempted to fit a Cortina Power rack to my UC and found that it was a complete stuff around to get it to fit.

interested in the WRX power rack idea
TORANAMAT69-could u supply some pics of the way the WRX rack is mounted to the front end and wat problems did u encounter?

Cheers Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users