9 inch diff conversion

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 _UC_CHEV_

_UC_CHEV_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:05 AM

Hey,
i need to convert my torana to a 9" diff.

whats invloded to do this?

do i buy a bare 9" housing?, do the axels need to be shortened?

dont know too much about it, interested in doing it the cheapest way possible, maybe buying a lx one and getting it converted to suit my uc??

dont want a BW, saw a stock vs with gutless 6cy do half a donut the other day and it snapped an axel. want a giant big diff :P

cheers,
nathan

#2 _ChevLX_77_

_ChevLX_77_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:54 AM

You could use a ten bolt salisbury diff. there a pretty tough diff. Plus they were standard in a UC.

#3 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:34 AM

if you look around, you might be able to find a place that will build you a complete 9inch, to suit your UC for under 2g, complete with axles and whatever ratio centre you like!

#4 _AGGRO_

_AGGRO_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:27 AM

nathan try driveline pro down at brendale

Driveline Services
6 Combarton St Brendale QLD 4500
ph: (07) 3889 7366

otherwise try Queensland performance axles and centres
5498 7788
www.qpaac.com.au

or easier steal sarsha's from the hatch

#5 _RandomLX_

_RandomLX_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:07 PM

how tuff are the sailsbury diffs will they put up with a 350 or something like that?

#6 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:13 PM

How about you buy this

Then take what you need for both cars

And scrap the rest

If its a good shell with new paint I'm sure you can make a car out of it and the other stuff you have

http://cgi.ebay.com....1QQcmdZViewItem

#7 Gump

Gump

Paisty White

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Name:Russell
  • Car:LX SL hatch

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:24 PM

did some one say burnout car

#8 _ChevLX_77_

_ChevLX_77_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:54 PM

how tuff are the sailsbury diffs will they put up with a 350 or something like that?

Yes. I have a salisbury in the rear of my car and i run a small block. the early girl monaros (HG,HK,HT) ran them aswell and they had small blocks aswell. There is also the 12 bolt salisbury im not sure if they are the same dimensions as a 10 bolt but there even tougher and big block camaros use them.

#9 _torana05_

_torana05_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:25 PM

Dont even bother with a UC Torana salisbury diff, they are only marginaly stronger than a banjo. The larger HQ style salisbury diff may last a little longer, but still they are not real strong. The Borg Warner diffs are a popular conversion for the LH-LX-UC models, but i dont keep them in stock. I can supply a new 9" housing & axles for your uc for $1100 including gst. Centres are the expensive bit, allow from $900-$2500. You could always buy an LH-LX one & have the top mounting points modified to fit the UC.
PS. You get what you pay for.

Andrew.

#10 _ChevLX_77_

_ChevLX_77_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:36 PM

Yeah ive heard that the UC ones are crap. The ones out of the HZ Statos had disc brakes on it? can you verify this?

#11 _UC_CHEV_

_UC_CHEV_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:00 AM

cheers guys,

yeap, the uc salsbury is shit, same as a bango. its holding up with the 350 and shift kit auto. and it spins the wheels at 80 haha.

with the $1100 9" housing and axels, would it need more work or is it just " bolt on brakes and bolt in center?" sounds like a plan :spoton:

would be a smart idea dattoman, its just getting the initial money to get it... it would have a 4k reserve at least.

cheers,
nathan

#12 _UC_CHEV_

_UC_CHEV_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:06 AM

maybe this is the go?

nine inch

#13 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:13 AM

Yeah ive heard that the UC ones are crap. The ones out of the HZ Statos had disc brakes on it? can you verify this?

you seem to be talking about three different diffs as one (not inculdine B/W)
UC ran the bango salsbury w/w out discs.
HQ/WB ran the salsbury nick named the ten bolt w/w out discs,
and HK/HG GTS etc ran the CHEV (as in US/A) true 10 bolt with out discs.
Chev also made the 12 bolt H/D diff.

#14 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 03:16 AM

so just out of curiosity then, what diff did the A9Xs use? i always thought they ran the same diff as UCs?
cheers adam

#15 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,470 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:26 AM

The second one
UC was a small diff... A9X was the big aussie one

And Nathan..... for the money buy the whole UC and strip it

#16 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:34 AM

Dont even bother with a UC Torana salisbury diff, they are only marginaly stronger than a banjo. The larger HQ style salisbury diff may last a little longer, but still they are not real strong. The Borg Warner diffs are a popular conversion for the LH-LX-UC models, but i dont keep them in stock. I can supply a new 9" housing & axles for your uc for $1100 including gst. Centres are the expensive bit, allow from $900-$2500. You could always buy an LH-LX one & have the top mounting points modified to fit the UC.
PS. You get what you pay for.

Andrew.

I agree with Andrew.
You get what you pay for with centers and axels.
The more splines the stronger. 28 is good but 35 is stronger and there's 31's to consider as well. Cut axels or Billet as well. Once again Billets are stronger.
You could spent as little as $2000 or $6500 like I did 5 years ago. Fo that I had a complete new housing made, changed the LSD center to a Detroit Locker 31 spline (used my exisisting gear set), billet yoke, billet axels, new brakes and new tail shaft with HD yokes.
The housing on the new one was braced as well as the 9in that was already in the car was bent, one of the axle tubes was not square and the axles were cut and splined. The new diff was built for regular drag racing in mind and would have handled up to 800hp no worries. Over kill for my motor but peace of mind.

#17 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:03 PM

Yeh a 9" aint a 9" either! There's 2 types of factory housings. I have the wussy one. I don't think the standard axels will hold up too all that much either. I've got the small housing and standard 28 splines so I wont be dropping the clutch hard for a while! I'm gonna get some moser billet axels once the things on the road. My mates got some in his LH, set him back about $1200 for 31 spline billets and a new mini spool.

#18 _ChevLX_77_

_ChevLX_77_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:42 PM

you seem to be talking about three different diffs as one (not inculdine B/W)
UC ran the bango salsbury w/w out discs.
HQ/WB ran the salsbury nick named the ten bolt w/w out discs,
and HK/HG GTS etc ran the CHEV (as in US/A) true 10 bolt with out discs.
Chev also made the 12 bolt H/D diff.

Cheers ALX76. You really know diffs :spoton:

My car runs the second diff you mentioned.

#19 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:54 PM

Hi ChevLX_77, has the mid section of the rear floor pan been changed on your car or are you running "dog leg" upper trailing arms?

EDIT or you must own an A9X.... :spoton:

Edited by ALX76, 22 February 2007 - 08:56 PM.

#20 _torana05_

_torana05_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:50 PM

Nathan, My diffs are setup to take your standard brakes, the axles can be ordered in Torana or HQ style stud pattern. You just bolt it in, fit your centre & get a tailshaft made to suit. In my old drag car i was running an unbraced housing, 4.11 gears, mini-spool, twin rib carrier & a steel hat. The axles where not billets, i was going to fit them later. The car has 480rwhp & has run 10.88 @ 3500lbs, that is pushing the limits for standard axles, if you engine is making over 400hp, it should have billet axles.

A2.

#21 _UC_CHEV_

_UC_CHEV_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2007 - 04:07 AM

thanx andrew, sounds good!!!

will have to drop by sometime.. every time my wheels spin im just waiting for a bang! haha, need some peace of mine. :D

:spoton:

#22 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 08:29 AM

have you checked out these people, they seem to have alot of stuff and they got a price list -

mcdonald racing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users