Solenoid Gremlins

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:35 PM

Fixed up the solenoid today, what a can of worms. The screws that kept the cap on had backed themselves out, one was gone, and the other only held in by the main wire from the battery. Looks like at speed, the main battery lead was touching intermittently on the extractors, shorting and making the car very upset.

Apparently these screws backing out is quite common. Put a spot of thread locker/loctite on it. All seems to be well now.

#2 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:47 PM

if your starters a little noisy, u can take off that cap and put some grease in there, quietens it down a whole lot!

A1

#3 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 08:50 AM

What sort of things would you expect to occur if when the main power supply touches the extractor while under way? Just curious (fire is obvious if it touches long enough). It's a big meaty 12mm cable.

#4 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:38 AM

Cooked wires mainly - hopefully confined to the starting circuit (if at all). I'd just check fuses and the condition of the positive battery lead and the earth lead going to the engine... I hope there's sufficient clearance when it's parked?

Edited by Flamenco, 09 January 2006 - 10:38 AM.

#5 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:53 AM

Thanks Flamenco, not enough contact to date to cause cooked wires. Hoping it was the source of the mis-fire at 160 km/h. Was just running out of spark, I think that this is the only time it was hitting. Time will tell.

Didn't blow any fuses.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 09 January 2006 - 10:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users