bloody cars

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:43 PM

hi i need some help, last night i had this real good idea to degrease the motor in my 6cyl VL commie. i was trying to be oh so careful not to get too much water in the dissy, as you do. any way dispite how much i tried i did end up getting a fair of water in the dissy, so i took the cap off and cleaned it out and sprayed a fair bit of WD under the cap, i put it back together started it up and took it for a spin to clear it out. any way after about 5 minutes it started to run rough and then it backfired through the throttle body and blew the black inlet pipe off. now its running a little rough, on gas its ridiculous at idle it sounds like a tractor almost. what have i done wrong? f#cking holden why did you have to go and put a bloody ricer in the commodore? :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:49 PM

sounds like you still got water or even WD40 stuck somewhere, try drying out the dizzy and pull all the leads and dry all the connections as well because sometimes water settles in there too.
if water/WD40 has made it inside the dizzy you may have to pull it and turn it upside down to drain it.

i tend to use shopping bag to wrap things i don't want wet, especially in later stuff, they really don't like water.

EDIT; try house hold paper towel for the drying.

oh just realised it's a VL, water sits in the head between plugs 3 and 4 as well.
again paper towel tristed together will wick it out, or a compressor to blow it out.
you shouldn't need to pull the dizzy, just make sure it;'s dry, and never get the modulator wet (bit on dizzy).

Edited by ALX76, 22 February 2007 - 09:56 PM.

#3 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:52 PM

It's not the ricer motor's fault, a piece of genuine GMH iron will do the same thing given enough dihydrogen monoxide. Dry the dizzy and wiring completely, the coil and associated wiring. If you have a windscreen leak on the passenger side and have had water in there it can get into the computer which is in the footwell and give you all sorts of heartache. If you have only washed down the engine the problem will be in the wet electrical bits.

#4 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:56 PM

so does that mean over time it will dry out? and no i dont have a leak in the car luckily
thanks guys keep them coming
adam

#5 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:59 PM

Nature will dry it out but you need to give her a hand with a bit of compressed air and a rag/paper towell as ALX76 said above.

At least it is not the dreaded dying crank angle sensor problem.

#6 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:01 PM

Iv driven my VN through a flooded street so deep that water was run over the bonnet, still ran like a dream. I have also washed it at car lovers and wet everything and still runs perfect.

VLs are notorious for this, they get water stuck in the dizzy witch holds the crank angle sensor and it stuffs things bigtime. Your best bet is to blow it all with an air compressor and leave the bonnet up in the sun for a few hours.

John

#7 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:07 PM

Yeah i meant crank angle sensor, not modulator.
i had one once that would rev to 3000rpm and then start to play up. the new (read reco) one i bought was worse, it was exchanged and all ok.

#8 _LX8VD69_

_LX8VD69_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:08 PM

yeah luckily it cam with a new CAS when i bought it about 6 months ago

#9 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:17 PM

take the plug off where it goes on the top side of the dizzy dry it out with compressed air then spray very lightly with WD40. thats where the crank angle sensor plugs in, its a common problem.

#10 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:14 AM

With the backfire, which was probably due to wet dissy cap, look for unplugged vacuum hoses or damage to hoses and induction pipes.

Edited by rodomo, 23 February 2007 - 02:16 AM.

#11 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:15 AM

That ricer motor my friend was one of the best engines ever offered by Holden's.

My old VL Berlina I sold some two years ago was the quietest and most reliable car I had ever owned. Compared to my current VY Berlina the RB 30 straight six was so quiet you couldn't hear the car running and always returned me over 600ks per tank in the country. :spoton:

#12 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:42 AM

I'm pretty sure i got a spare dizzy in the shed.. post should be f*ckall ey?

Dan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users