[Torviki] How to get your speedo reading correctly

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 _ASLTO_

_ASLTO_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:16 PM

Dave - that's a great idea, only 1 thing... why didn't I think of it?

Andrew - I've had the car for a little while now and I have installed the LSD since I've had it and it's definitely a 3:55 ratio. I've got the box planned for an upcoming recondition and I'll be able to then confirm what I've got exactly, may even get the guys in the box shop to look over speedo gearing and try and sort it out while it's all apart.

For what it's worth I'll let you know what comes of it all when it's all pulled apart...

Thanks' Andrew !

#27 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:18 PM

Have seen them in NSW and Victoria on vast drives :)

Dave - that's a great idea, only 1 thing... why didn't I think of it?

Thanks' Andrew !

and the sign posts warn you one is approaching so you are ready :) 

#28 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,370 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:23 PM

Once you remove the selector cover, have a look for the part number stamped into the counter shaft (the bottom one-piece "cluster" shaft).

Most M20 boxes use part # 2813496

Most M21 boxes use part # 2813497

There were a few other specialty ratio sets released but the above should account for 90% of the Aussie 4 speeds out there. If you find a 9939484 part number on the cluster then you've struck gold, these are very rare gear sets only used in LJ XU-1 and L34 (they had a higher ratio 2nd gear than any other box).

P.S. By far the easiest way to verify a speedo reading is with a GPS, any handheld GPS and most after-market car-mounted GPS will give you a speed readout, in fact I'd be surprised if most smart phones couldn't tell you with some kind of "app"?

#29 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:03 AM

Just time yourself while driving at a steady speed. At 60kph you'll take 1 min to travel 1 km. At 100kmh it'll take 36 seconds.

#30 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:54 PM

If you have the red 7 tooth drive gear, the closest I come is the dark blue 22 tooth driven gear, which should read 99.7km/h @ 100

Or if you have the white 8 tooth drive gear, the closest I come to is the light blue 25 tooth driven gear, which should read 100.3km/h @ 100

None of the other drive gears even get close with such a low diff ratio. Looks like the red drive gear is not available from Rare Spares but the white one is, along with a variety of driven gears.

The M20 box had a brown 6 tooth, white 8 tooth and blue 9 tooth drive gear. What makes you think there was a red 7 tooth gear?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users