Jump to content


Buying or selling number plates.

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mike_nofx


    Forum Fixture

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Location:Wollongong
  • Joined: 20-November 05

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:42 PM

How can you sell or buy number plates in nsw?

Is there a legal way, or a loophole somewhere?

As far as i know you can only trade plates between immediate family, but i always seel plates for sale.

#2 Big T

Big T


  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,133 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Location:BNE
  • Car:Yes
  • Joined: 18-January 06

Posted 27 March 2007 - 12:53 AM

Just had a look on www.rta.nsw.gov.au

The following is from the FAQ section on number plates:

"Can I sell my plates or give them to a friend?
Only personalised plus number plates can be sold or transferred and transfer fees will apply. All other number plates are only transferable to immediate family members, de facto couples or between vehicles owned by the same company. "

That came from http://www.rta.nsw.g...plate_faqs.html if you want to suss it out for yourself. It states only "personalised plus" number plates can be sold or traded. The following details the different types of plates and content:

"Content is the type of information displayed on your number plate. There are four types of content available:

Standard the letter and number combination is generated by the RTA eg AA 12 AB.
Personalised choose your own letters and numbers from a range of preset combinations eg LA 55 IE.
Personalised plus choose between 2 and 6 letters and numbers, with at least one letter (with the exception of the letter I and the letter O) eg MUM.
Numeral only can be between 1 and 6 digits, however these plates are only available at RTA auctions or through private sale."

See http://www.rta.nsw.g...ate_styles.html for further details.

If your plates are not "personalised plus" format you may still get around the transfer by claiming the transfer is between a defacto couple. Not sure how this will work if you want to trade them with a bloke (is same sex relationship recognised as defacto in NSW?) or if you would even want to do that ?!?!? You can also trade plates if vehicles are owned by the same company. Might have to use your imagination for that one, but I reckon it would be hard to get around. Im not suggesting anything, just giving you food for thought.

I know in QLD the PPQ (Personalised Plates QLD) site has a buy/sell link but different states, different laws I guess. Any QLD'ers want to buy SAA-10 (satan) plates? The missus wont drive the car with them on (hmmm, could be a good thing).

#3 ozbox


    Forum Fixture

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Name:greg
  • Location:newcastle nsw
  • Joined: 06-November 06

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:00 PM

only other way around it for non personalised plus plates is to transfer the car into your name and then change plates...ok if the other person is a good friend... :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users