- - - - -

"The Cyan LJ 2dr" .... gtr look-a-like......

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#1 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:21 PM

The resent purchase of the SLR 5000 had caused a change in plans to the "MYLJ" v8 project, I will not be completing either of the LJ 2 doors I have and will be putting the time towards restoring the LH to its former glory :spoton:

"surfmaster" enquired as to what my intentions were for the white LJ 2 dr that I purchased last year :D I intended on giving it a respray, sell it as a roller and put the funds toward the new toy.

a few PM's later a deal was done and the LJ 2dr is now his :D

it will be getting a major make over, before and after it leaves my place, surfmaster has comissioned me to paint it up as a GTR look a like in CYAN blue :spoton:

we thought you might all enjoy watching the rebuild process so I will be taking pics along the way for you all to see my end of the production :clap:

here's a pic of the car as it was when I picked it up last year, it is a very clean rust free LJ 2dr rolling shell, hope you all enjoy the ride as this little beast gets a new lease on life :spoton:

Posted Image

I'll post some more pics of the little monster tonight.............

#2 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:34 PM

That 2 door looks familiar. :D

#3 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:51 PM

a couple more pics of the starting point for the project. as you can see its a very nice shell to start with so should come out pretty darn nice :spoton:

I needs some good pics of a Cyan blue LJ GTR if someone can post some up that would be very much appreciated :spoton:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Loui

Loui

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:31 PM

In the quarter pannel pic, the pannel line looks a bit wavy.

If you run a nice line of tape along the top of it and then sand the bottom, then vice versa, the line will come out perfect

The tape stops you sanding the wrong side of the line, if you know what I mean

just make sure your tape line is perfect

Cheers

loui

#5 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:34 PM

mmm... LJ 2 Door...

Looks like a pretty good base, can't wait to see it in some colour!

Tim

#6 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:35 PM

Im with rim will look sexy with some paint cant wait to see the final product

#7 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:28 PM

the line down the side of the car actually "swerves" slightly around the rear wheel arch, its not perfectly straight. im not sure if thats what you meant or if you were reffering to the fact that the line isnt as smooth as it could be (has some "corners" as it moves around the arch)

should make a pretty nice mock up.

#8 _Monkey_

_Monkey_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:35 PM

I needs some good pics of a Cyan blue LJ GTR if someone can post some up that would be very much appreciated :spoton:

Posted Image

#9 Loui

Loui

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:37 PM

the line down the side of the car actually "swerves" slightly around the rear wheel arch, its not perfectly straight. im not sure if thats what you meant or if you were reffering to the fact that the line isnt as smooth as it could be (has some "corners" as it moves around the arch)

should make a pretty nice mock up.

yeah you allow for the swerve

Get rid of the corners

Cheers

Loui

#10 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:13 PM

I have to make a decision as to what engine, (it will be a Holden six) to put in. Not sure whether to put in a 186 with YT head and WW stromberg that I have in a HG or put in a 202. I have a nice set of Stromberg CDs which are one of my thoughts as well.

#11 _MediuM16A2_

_MediuM16A2_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:51 PM

186 with big cam..big valves.. and lotsa carburettors.

#12 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:55 PM

Top stuff surfie! Coudlnt think of a better bloke to do the work either! Keep us posted :)

#13 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:06 PM

pulled a few bits out of the engine bay to start preparing it , I will get under the dash tomorrow to get the rest of the engine bay bits undone and out of the way :D

the car has at some stage been fitted with an uderdash A/C unit(the holes are all that remain of it :rolleyes: )

, the holes will be staying as I'm donating an underdash A/C system (out of one of my many wrecks :rolleyes: :D ) to the project which will get fitted at some stage in the future :spoton:

here's some pics of the engine bay, the battery tray will be getting the boot to allow for the fitment of triple carbs :D

anything else we need to do to make a GTR engine bay out of it? any holes that need welding up?

and is that body beadener on the firewall/tunnel original or should it go?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 _MY-V6-OK_

_MY-V6-OK_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:33 PM

should look awsome when you have finished ,cyan blue is a nice colour

#15 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:16 PM

the battery tray has parted company with the engine bay :D

the rust in the battery tray made it interesting to find the spot welds holding it down :rolleyes: , rust had also formed around some of the spotweld under the battery tray so I've drilled 5 of them out to get rid of it, I'll use the hole to attach the new tray (if they are in the right places :rolleyes: ) or I'll weld them up if they are not :D

making room for triple carbs :spoton:

could someone post a pic of an XU1 battery tray area, I've got a 4cyl battery tray coming soon and want to make sure it goes in correctly :D

Posted Image

#16 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:38 PM

Why don't you just put it in the boot? ( the Battery)

Some nice progress there!

#17 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:17 AM

Hi MYLJ

I have a few pictures with measurements that I took for a mate. Send me your email addy and I will forward them to you.

Bazza

#18 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:41 AM

Why don't you just put it in the boot? ( the Battery)

Some nice progress there!

There is not a lot of room with the bigger fuel tank in there and I don't want problems with long battery leads.

#19 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2007 - 01:06 PM

Hi MYLJ

I have a few pictures with measurements that I took for a mate. Send me your email addy and I will forward them to you.

Bazza

thanks Bazza, got your pics and they are exactly what I was after :spoton:
>
>
>
>
>

finished stripping the car out this morning,

the doors still had the original cloth backings glued to them , had to remove that to get the door glass and mechanisms out. Got a bit of a shock when I saw what colour the material was when I turned it over :rolleyes: anybody care to identify the trim colour on the left :spit:

Posted Image

#20 _MediuM16A2_

_MediuM16A2_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:08 PM

pink.

#21 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:52 PM

Yep, definitely pink, what is the colour code on the tag?

#22 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:27 PM

Yep, definitely pink, what is the colour code on the tag?

I'll post the trim and paint codes off the tags tomorrow

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
stripped the front windscreen frame area , nothing but shiny clean metal to be found :D I like it when there's no rust :spoton:

Posted Image
Posted Image

well the fly thinks it looks good anyway :D

#23 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:28 PM

I guess it's time to show some mechanical options, I am leaning to the 186 with yella terra head in my donor HG, it is a good strong motor - doesn't blow smoke and despite the "dirty" look about it doesn't haemhorage oil all over the solidified readymix. (A good 202 would tempt me as well, I have one under the bench but it's condition is an unknown, maybe an option for a future rebuild and transplant.) I know the mechanicals are not the "sexy" part of the rebuild but they make the bloody thing move. I have a nice set of triples that I will overhaul and mate up to the engine.

Total cost of HG and motor - $1.00. Total cost of carbs - $0.00. Cost of mechanicals so far - $1.00. However I expect I will be spending a few hard earned sheckels getting them to a standard that matches MYLJ's paintjob however.

Pics of the donor and carbs:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mods if these pics don't display can you adjust please, I promise I will give myself the mandatory uppercut.

Edited by dattoman, 20 April 2007 - 10:32 PM.

#24 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:39 PM

I'll post the trim and paint codes off the tags tomorrow

:rolleyes: okay so I forgot all about it last night (ie, I fell asleep on the couch :D )

the trim/paint codes are ,

trim 1821-4I E
paint 568-13134

there are a couple of holes to weld where the trim clips have been bogged up along the sides, and two where an aftermarket passenger mirror was once fitted, plus 2 other tiny little none standard holes to fill in the parcel shelf :tease: .

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:44 PM

geez who got to that parcel shelf?? those holes aint the prettiest ones ive ever seen! :tease:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users