red6

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Car:1971 Lc Torana S 2 Door

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:53 PM

just a quick question for all you lx/lh/uc types

just wondering on a 6 cyl lh/lx/uc if there is some sort of rubber mount or bracket which slips over the end of the crossmember to help hold it in place or if it uses just the bolts into the crossmember?

is a lc/lj crossmember the same length as a lh/lx/uc crossmember?

i have a modified crossmember for the celica conversion and the holes which bolt the crossmember to the chassie are much larger than the heads of the bolts, so at present i have some large washers holding it in place. my trimatic had these rubber mounts to hold the crossmember in place along with the bolts. the crossmember had lh written on it when i bought it. just seeing if im missing some parts or if ill just have to stick to the washers and bolts.

#2 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 14 April 2007 - 11:38 PM

I believe the autos had the rubber insulators and the manuals didn't. Or maybe that's visa versa? My son's UC had them, was originally a sunbird, but I don't know if it was originally auto. Anyway, when I put the car together they were perished and I made a few enquiries and was told N.L.A and to put it together with big washers. That's what I did and no dramas so far.

#3 _JamesB_

_JamesB_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:08 AM

My UC has the M20 box fitted from the factory, however the box came out when NGM replaced the clutch as part of the turbocharger installation, so it is possible that something in the crossmember mount may not be original.

As it is, the crossmember bolts directly to the chassis (no rubber isolators) but there's a really big washer under the heads of each of the 4 bolts.

#4 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:31 PM

my LJ had large holes in cross member and rubber inserts, was auto
LCs have smaller holes and no rubber, manuals

#5 slr5640

slr5640

XA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Name:Brian

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:08 PM

I think you'll find the LX and LH bonnet to hinge bolts with the large washer attached will fit in the cross member thread. I have used them before.

#6 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:31 PM

^as above. I have 15 - 20mm long bolts with large washers on mine and no rubber grommet like things...

Keith

#7 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:56 AM

Are we talking about the outer mounting bolts or the gearbox to Xmember?
Outer- rubber insulators, 2 each side.
Gbox to Xmember- big runner block (Celica 5spd)

When I had the auto recoed on the Hatch, the Fwits didn't put the insulators back in (and had the Xmember wrong way round!!!) but nonetheless, made a hell of a racket without the rubber!!!

Edited by knoath, 17 April 2007 - 05:57 AM.

#8 _GaR_

_GaR_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:12 AM

My UC was originally a 4cyl auto, but by the time I got it, it was 202 4 speed. It had no bushes or washers or anything, the crossmember bolted straight to the body.

#9 _kiwiuc_

_kiwiuc_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:37 PM

one of my UC's has the rubber grommets and the other has them missing. Both of them are non standard gearboxes/transmissions, and I was told that you can't get them anymore.

If anyone has a TH350 transmission, I'd be interested to see what you've done - I can't bolt the cross member up to the chassis rails because it pushes the transmission up too high.

#10 red6

red6

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:04 PM

Posted Image

stolen from this thread;

http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=16742

Edited by red6, 22 April 2007 - 09:06 PM.

#11 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,299 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:25 PM

Can't be screwed reading the thread. The ones pictured look like an aftermarket Nolathane job.

Judging from my experience, the standard ones are the same bolt with huge washer setup, but they have a thin tubular rubber washer that is really loose around the bolt (about 2/3 of the diameter of the washer.

That help?

#12 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:31 PM

If anyone has a TH350 transmission, I'd be interested to see what you've done - I can't bolt the cross member up to the chassis rails because it pushes the transmission up too high.

i will take a pic tommorrow(monday)

#13 arrimar

arrimar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:14 AM

link to another thread that should have the info you want.

#14 _Christian_O_

_Christian_O_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:23 PM

I recently took the cross member off my UC hatch (202/auto), to mee it looked like the bolts had never come off the car since manufactured. The cross member had the large steel washers and a two piece rubber washer (same size as the steel washer), it also has a steel sleeve on the bolt, which I presume was put there to keep the cross member a certain distance from the chassis, and not ruin the rubber washers if you tighten them too much. Like every one else, the rubbers were goooone. Can't buy them.

Cheers.

#15 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:52 PM

You may not be able to buy them, but if you had the original dimensions, you could get some made.

#16 red6

red6

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:11 PM

i thought that this may be the case that there was originally some sort of set up such as this there, surly this would be an inexpensive and easy to reproduce item that would sell quite well one would have thought, maybe les/rares/someone else should be made aware of this?

#17 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:51 PM

Hey guys,

I know this is an old thread but it is kind of on topic for my question. In a recent flick through the parts manual I noticed that in the exploded view of the manual gearbox cross member that they have detailed a 'spacer' that appears to go between the chassis and the cross member. Is this correct? I don't recall removing them from my car when I was striping it but this was a long time ago so my memory could have faded. Are they critical? What were they? Steel washers or something else?

Gearbox%20Cross%20Member%20Mount.png

#18 arrimar

arrimar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:40 AM

They're omitted from the service manual sketches but like you say appear in the parts manual as insulators. The autos and 4 cyls have the larger version.

#19 old-jim

old-jim

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Name:Jim

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:21 PM

rarespares sell both insulators and bolts. I bought some last week.

The insulators are rubber 2 piece units.

The rearspares bolts are the same as bonnet hinge bolts.

The insulators are marked as auto only but I fitted a set to my UC 4 speed manual.

When I got the car it was an auto and shock absorber rubbers had been fitted between the body and the crossmember, nothing on the other side.

The bolts that were in my car looked like they had been found in a bolt bucket and fitted with big panel washers.

I refitted these bolts old and will use the rarespares set on the bonnet hinges (hmmmm --  nice and shiney)

http://www.rarespare...?product=FK1055

http://www.rarespare...x?product=H1128

Jim

#20 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:46 PM

Hi Jim,

Does the auto cross member have larger holes? Reason I ask is my manual one has very neat holes that only have room for the bolts. I don't think the insulators that rares sell would work, unless I just used half of it which just seems wrong. I am thinking that perhaps in between writing the parts manual and the service manual they decided that the spacers on manual cars weren't required hence omitted from the service manual details but still listed in the parts manual. Far fetched? Who knows, but I am pretty comfortable not fitting anything. If my car was an auto it would be a different story.

#21 old-jim

old-jim

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Name:Jim

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:57 PM

My UC started life as a 4 cyl manual, and when I got it was fitted with a 202 auto.

nothing on my car is original.

The crossmember in it had LX AUTO written on the upper side in that yellow crayon that the wreckers use.

The 4 holes at the ends of the crossmember were circular and about 20mm in diameter.

It sounds like there is a difference between the auto and manual crossmembers.

jim

#22 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:03 PM

My ex 74 opel manual  powered had those insulators on the trans. cross member , might have had something to do with vibration dampening , they probably don't need them to function because the transmission mount should be good enough to soak up any

vibration issues but still can be fitted as an extra ...they are just a bit of rubber that can be made with a wad punch . 

#23 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:07 PM

Yeah I noticed that my LX Sunbird doner car had them too as well as my LX Auto. I agree that the main gearbox mount should soak up all of the movement/vibration.

#24 _DS80_

_DS80_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:25 AM

My auto LJ has the trans crossmember to chassis with the larger holes, i see these are listed as LH -UC on rare spares, http://www.rarespare...duct=H1128 will these fit an LJ

#25 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 22 January 2017 - 06:13 PM

Could these that Rares sell be them?

http://www.rarespare...x?product=H1128

0 user(s) are reading this topic