Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Car:74 LH SL, 03 VY SS

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:17 PM

Always just been a reader I thought it was time to put up my torana
I have own my Torana since I was 16 and now I�m getting close to 31
about 2 months before turning 17 I was hounding my dad to let me buy this rusted out 73 LJ with a 202 in it but couldn�t convince him to let me then one night when he came home from work he was in a 74 LH SL completely stock and immaculate it only had 17000 kays on the clock which were genuine according to books and I was only to be the second owner. On christmas that year my dad gave her to me and on december the 31st I got my Ps, 2 weeks later some idiot ran into the back off me and pushed the beaver panel up to the window didn�t see my brake lights he said what was he blind ? the car is saffron in colour, who couldn�t see it slowing down had to cut the whole back of and replace it.
I drove it around stock for about a year then finally got money for mags then a Mallory twin point, twin Stromberg carbys and 6 months later got my sports exhaust, And just kept blowing the gearboxes one after the other got to 7 autos before finally going manual went strait to a Toyota 5 speed and blew that in 2 days but wasn�t my fault improper fitment but I had 2 just in case so in 2 days had it back on the road again
one of the auto boxes blew the day before rego so the car sat for six months at Kennard�s storage before I had the money to fix her to pass a blue slip, while she was in there I put a sports steering wheel on and put Shelby springs on her to match the Shelby sway bar I put on the back years before
I did get a front sway bar for her years ago as well dont know what type it is but was told it came off one of Peter Brock's L34 race cars but never got proof might find out one day
Well in 2002 I got married and the Torana went into the garage, I couldn�t get it to run properly on the lead replacement fuel and the crossmember that came with the conversion kit sucked flimsy useless thing was bouncing the box up and down which made me have to ride the clutch and that went so in went a RPM pressure plate but I just had enough and after my honeymoon got my mates together and we pull her down to a rolling shell found very little rust, after five years its still in the garage three garages later and three daily drivers later to
Enough of the passed this is what I have been trying to do for the last 5 years
The motor is staying a 202 six but will be fuel injected and turbo charged, I have spent 5 years going over this I always wanted to keep the six but wanted a bit more power than the average but still drivable, money wasn�t an option as I am will to wait and save up what ever it was going to cost and I want it to stay legal so a lot of study was spent on the RTA web site to get the latest info cost wise it doesn�t change if you start the right way and being my cars a 74 model the rules aren�t very harsh
I have a J ZED head been fitted shortly which will make my manifolds easier to make. Give it 6 months and I am hoping the motor will fire to life and I can start on the chassis, will put photos as soon as I find out how

#2 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,073 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:22 PM

There's been a bit of discussion on these JZED heads of late...

Sounds good, a bit of history with the car I see!

Tim

#3 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:26 PM

Yeah Ive been speaking with Joe from J ZED for about a year now and it seams his head would be the best for my setup and there is a lot more history on my car I lived in it for 2 months when I was young and I would die before anyone else would own it

#4 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:57 PM

Hi
Got any pics sounds like a good project, my torry has Shelby sway bars (not sure on springs) and they seem to hold up well. What sort of efi are you using Vk or custom. If your using a supra gearbox i recon there one of the best out there.
Chears Neil

#5 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:23 PM

It will be a custom manifold as nothing fits a J ZED head but J ZED throttle bodies or anything with weber flanges, it will have a big plenium with a VN 6 cylinder throttle body to start with and then I will go from there
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:32 PM

Heres a few more, bit of rust i found and 1 with me and my mate as we were striping her 5 years ago, and one just after I fit the intercooler

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:43 PM

The turbo setup I�m using meant I had to move the alternator to the driver�s side so I made a bracket up still perfecting it
And the law wanted an air box so on went the one of the VN I got the throttle body from
fitted right where battery went same size just got to find a spot for it now
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:05 PM

Hi
Very nice, if you nead a slightly bigger throttle body a VN-VS 5L is bigger again and bolts up where a V6 one does. However V6 ones are anywhere if you nead them in a hurry. You could put the battery on the drivers side or in the boot. With my 304 efi it looks like i will cut the battery tray from the passengers side and use it in the drivers side (like commodores) good luck thanks for the pics and keep letting us know how your going with it
Chears Neil

#9 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:12 PM

I wont be able to put the battery on the driver's side because I'm using a electric water pump and thats where I'm putting it, might go for a gel pak there small and should be able to power the efi and rest of the car and dont need to vent so I could fit it in the boot and you wouldn't see it

#10 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:46 AM

With my 304 efi it looks like i will cut the battery tray from the passengers side and use it in the drivers side (like commodores)
Chears Neil

isnt the left and right side of the car the oposite making it imposible to just cut it out and put it in the other side? also wont you be cutting the chassis number out by doing this?
I have removed the whole battery tray section from my spare if you need pics or tips on how to remove it. :D

Cheers Leigh

#11 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:58 AM

Hi
It was one of the 3 options i was looking at. My original tray was rusted out when i bought the car so my uncle removed the old one and made up a new one. One option i was looking at using the drivers side for the battery was so it would be the same setup as the commodore i removed the 304 out of. The second was to put the battery in the boot. The last option was to leave the battery where it is and make up a airbox to fit as the HSV one i got does not fit very good. Im not sure about chopping out the chassie number as i dont want to move it. I will be working on the car again on the weekend so i'll see what to do from there.
Chears Neil

#12 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 03:26 PM

Heres a few more pics
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:03 PM

I found some old photos from back when I got my Ps, you can see the rear end damage
that I got and me being a normal P plater
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 05:49 PM

Here's some photos of the head I will be using, I havnt got mine yet so there just off the J Zed web site
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 02:13 PM

I have drawn up a few pictures to show everyone what my manifolds will look like
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 04:25 PM

i have one of those head on order aswell!! they are a pretty trick bit of gear, very pricey though, but worth it! :spoton:

#17 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 04:53 PM

Pricey yes but compared to what. I don�t believe there is a head on the market for a six cylinder red motor that has the flowing capabilities as the J Zed head, just looking at the head you can see it will flow better than anything out there, so it sounds like your like me and will pay what ever is needed to get the benefits from it

#18 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 05:09 PM

exactly. Joe is a really knowledgable bloke and likes a chat! for the money he shoudl though!! these are made using the old duggart or dugg something head moulds.

#19 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 05:15 PM

Yeah likes to chat, you get as much info from him as you can, he supplies other stuff as well like conrods and pistons and I will getting them from him, not using a decompression plate so I have to get the pistons dished so I am hopping he can do it for me

#20 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 05:18 PM

yeah i was on the phone to him for ages, then my old man rang and was on there for longer. we are looking at getting alot from him when the funds make themselve available. at the moment the XU-1 is taking al the money to get finished before september, but he told us when we are ready. anyways enough of the thread stealing.

#21 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 05:24 PM

How long you been waiting for your head to be ready
He's a bit of a perfectionist and if there's a little problem with cast he scraps the head and starts again

#22 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 05:40 PM

these are made using the old duggart or dugg something head moulds.

He told me the guys name is Frank Duggin

#23 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 05:43 PM

What colour is she? Orangeade?

#24 ilovea9x

ilovea9x

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 05:46 PM

The colour is Safron

#25 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 05:48 PM

thats the one!! my old man had one of those on his HR back in the day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users