console lid

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:40 PM

hello i am after a new or near new console lid to suit a early LH slr5000 the lid is black where most i have seen are fishscale , also my console is different to all others i have seen it doesnt have a rest at back has an open back for putting odds and sods in but defineately didnt ever have a lid , has back cigarette holder and standard front but all black , has the gears sticker thing on front lid , mine has a broken hinge and i would like a new one if possible , anybody know where i can buy one ,? TREX

#2 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:49 PM

rex i got one of the rare spares ones for mine and it fits well(apart from the gear pattern sticker argh)

yours sounds like a monaro style low and sleek with open compartment?

i believe this is the one you ask for,100 bucks from rares or cheaper without boot

Posted Image

Edited by arrimar, 10 May 2007 - 07:50 PM.

#3 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:40 PM

racy you have a HQ console, you need a Torana one.

#4 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:08 PM

Hi Guys.

I beg to differ arrimar & REDA9X. The LH SL/R (& other LHs optioned with a centre console) made between March '74 and Nov '74 use the low, open console that looks like the HQ style. It does have the dedicated Torana shape at the bottom.

I've done research on this one recently & found the early (different) part numbers. Also the LH SL/R sales brouchure, dated March '74 has a good picture of it.

Dr Terry.

#5 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:18 PM

I've never seen one in an SLR5000 Terry and I'd be very suprised if they fitted one in a 5000. Even the earliest cars the magazines tested, and the very early brochures don't show a 5000 with that type of console. Maybe racy could post some pics up, but it certainly would not prove it was original fit.

#6 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:28 AM

Hi Guys.

I agree that it is vague, but here is the info I have.

In the original press releases, no mention is made of the high console & all early factory photos & sales brochures only show the HQ-style console. But, having said that, they only show SL & SL/R interiors, there are no photos specifically mentioning SL/R 5000.

The early parts bulletins, these are what is used until the parts books are printed in the early months of an new model series, only list 1 part number for a centre console housing. This is the same part number as the one listed as 'console - without lid' in the later parts books. In the later parts books, they list 2 types, 'console - with or without lid. They don't list any model or chassis or date break. The LH workshop manual has a drawing of the HJ-style console, but this manual is not dated & I know from being in the industry at the time, that they were not in print & available when the LH was first released.

I have a black & white glossy book titled 'LH Torana Engineering Report'. This was printed for dealers when the LH was released, once again no mention of the HJ-style console. All photos show the HQ-style.

What is often forgotten about the LH Torana range, is that when it was released it came in 2 stages. The LH 6 & V8 cars were anounced on 4th March '74 & were on sale with a week of that date. Brief mention was made of the Torana 1900 models in the release notes, but said they would be released later than the 6/V8 models, probably around May. There must have been a few hold-ups because 1900 models didn't actually reach the showrooms until June/July '74.

The dealer info brochure for the Torana 1900 has the earliest photo I can find of the HJ-style console in an LH. The Torana 1900 SL is the only non-SL/R (in regular production) that has a centre floor-shift console fitted as standard equipment.

I'll quote from that brochure:-

"A feature of the 1900 interior is the distinctive arm-rest console, which is standard on the 'SL' model and available as part of the Tri-Matic option for the 'S' model. This console will be introduced into production throughout the LH range of six and eight models later this year."

Does anybody have more info, as I said it's all a bit vague.

On racyrabbit's other query about the console front lids, aren't they either black or timber-tone. AFAIK 'fish scale', officially called milled finish, was only used on HQ. I'll do some more searching.

Dr Terry.

#7 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 11:22 AM

I agree the parts book lists both lid and non lid and does specify VD for both, but thats a very early book that also lists the XU2 decals. Also, workshop manuals and brochures differ greatly from what was actually available. The brochures even have a warning about it. A good example in the VL Walkinshaw with it's covered 6th window. Looking through the books last night the earliest magazines at the time with SLR5000's had the full console.

#8 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:07 PM

I don't know the difference between the HQ and J's consoles. But my SL/R 5000 was built in NOV 74 from memory and it has a long black console with a high padded lift up arm rest at the back with a compartment below. As far as I know it is original. Although mine is an auto version so they may have some bearing on what console was fitted. I also have an original advert for the 5000 which features a barbados green car and although it is a bit hard to tell i believe it shows the one with the padded armrest.

#9 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:19 PM

i have spoken of the differences before in my car , exaust manifolds , aircleaner ,console on my car it has all the hq parts as i have stated before i have never managed to find any brochures that were printed before my car so any photos of later ones are not valid for my car , i beleive that the realy early cars like mine had hq parts , mine is early 3/74 remember that as such mine is a hq and the ones after around 8to10th month are hj , i wont argue with book experts but mine has none of the hj parts that all the rest of the lh slr5000/s i have seen , maybe mine has had all the parts taken off at some time and replaced , but i think it is all original , but i am collecting all the hj parts so when i sell it ,it will come with both , thanks for the link it is what i want , REX

#10 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:21 PM

Kudu can you tell me what date that brochure was printed , i think you will find later than 3/73 , TREX

#11 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:34 PM

can some body host some photos for me as i have taken console out of car and taken some photos , also i have been on ebay looking at hq consoles and the closest to mine is a gts type , TREX

#12 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:00 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:55 PM

anybody going to tell me its not out of a lh torana ,if not what is it ,i had a look at gts and all the hq and didnt see one the same , and i pulled it out of mine , TREX

#14 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:56 PM

Thanks to Rory for helping me out again , TREX

#15 _SLRMike_

_SLRMike_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:42 PM

I have that very same consol in my LH SL/R 3300. I am the second owner and I doubt the lady who owned it before me changed it. My car is 3/74 I think?

Mike

#16 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:56 PM

the true test will be to turn it on it's side and have a look at the lower edge. It still won't prove it's factory fitted however.
Posted Image
Top is HQ-WB, bottom is LH-LX

#17 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:00 PM

Mine is the bottom , Trex

#18 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:03 PM

And my car was a one owner ,and i doubt it was tampered with either and also a 3/74 , So maybe i am also right with the aircleaner as i think my car should have all Hq parts not HJ , if you want Red will take photo and get Rory to put it up REX

#19 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:18 PM

Posted Image

#20 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:27 PM

Try taking a pic of the same area I did, not the front section

#21 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:58 PM

Posted Image

#22 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:00 PM

Rory will put it up for me sent the wrong one but its still a hq type what i beleive that the early ones had , i asked my mate that delivered the car from Holden dealer and he says defineately what it came with , TREX

#23 _fatlh5000_

_fatlh5000_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:07 PM

Just to add some more fuel to this debate.

Which GEAR BOOT SURROUND is the correct one.

I note that there is a difference in the plastic width surround from my observations- the back section of the surround (ie. the section that would be closest to the armrest) comes in two different widths.

In ONE- the gear boot plastic surround is the same width on all four sides. This is as per ARRIMARS post which is the second post of this topic.

In the SECOND- the gear boot surround is wider in the back section of the surround
See Rorys post in this topic- Posted on May 13 2007, 06:00 PM, as this shows this clearly.

From the cars that I have seen, I would think that the SECOND surround is the correct one for a LH SLR 5000.

I hope this relates to this thread & believe it is relevant & does not warrant a new thread.

FAT

#24 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:10 PM

Just been having a really good look through some bits and pieces and I think I have found a pic showing that sort of console in an early 5000. It's a bit hard to see, but I can't see a padded lid in the pic. I'll scan it up and post the pic. Proves the point you learn something new every day.

#25 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:18 PM

Thanks Red for hearing me out ,also fat all those picture are of my console out of my car as i have broken one of the hinges ,thanks for help Howard i have found it now and will order one , REX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users