34 replies to this topic

#1 laspy

laspy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:17 PM

I need advice on whether to get my whole car bead blasted or sandblasted. Hear is the run down:

Sand blasting
- More aggressive, have been told it could warp panels? (even though the guy i rang said he wont and has been doing it for years)
- Will get rid of all paint, rust and bog.
- May leave traces of sand after it is done
- Cant do the under side of bonnets or boot lids
- Is a perfect start point as sand blasting bites into the steel giving a good surface

Bead blasting
- Guaranteed no warped panels
- Gets rid of all paint and some bog. Does net get rid heavy bog and does not get rid of rust.
- The surface needs to be sanded back lightly after it has been done.

It will cost about the same to get either done. Sand blasting sounds good but i am concerned about panel damaged. Bead blasting will leave me with rust which means i will need to get that removed.

Has anyone here had experience with both of these or gone through the thinking stage between them and made a decision?

cheer

#2 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:10 PM

In the same line of thought that a good blaster will not warp your panels with sand, a bad blaster WILL warp your panels with Plastic Media Blasting (PMB or Bead).

Sand will give you the best finish but you beed to be straight onto it with a good etch primer.

You will need to make sure you are not doing the blasting in damp conditions.

Lastly, you forgot one . soda blasting...

Don't know anything more than what i've read.

Welby

#3 laspy

laspy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:16 PM

I have been told by the guy who does the plastic beading that at the PSI they use panels can not be warped. Soda blasting is a cheaper solution. It is not that common in victoria yet. Its supposed to be similar to bead blasting but less aggressive again. I am still not sure which way to go. Sand blasting sounds so good because it gets rid of absolutely everything but the possibility of having warped panels puts me off....

#4 laspy

laspy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 06:24 PM

The places i have looked into are

DAF industries in mordialloc
CarStrip in Campberfield
Blast off in Heidleberg

#5 smeer

smeer

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Car:1970 LC 4-door

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:34 PM

can blasters do a whole pile of small bits? I can't be bothered manually stripping some parts like shifter, pedal box, column etc etc. Can they also do tiny things like all the nuts and bolts that go with?
thanks!

#6 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:40 PM

I had an EK door sandblasted the other week and it was not warped by the blasting in any way. Comes down to the operator doing the blasting so I would not beleive everything you hear.

Bead blasting is nice, probably the preferred option but you'll need to do a bit of follow-up work in getting it ready for Etch.

Soda Blasting looks great in the promos and it definately has its place, I've also heard most Paint companies won't guarantee their Etch primers on parts that have been Soda Blasted. The soda blasted panels will need to be cleaned up properly as the residue which helps prevent flash rusting also inhibits primer adhesion.

Whichever way you decide to go its still nice to have clean bare steel to work with!!! Just make sure you adequately prepare it before laying on expensive paints!! Which I'm sure you will!!. Good Luck!

#7 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:59 PM

smeer, you can buy home sandblasters for about $250 off eBay...

Tim

#8 LHEFI

LHEFI

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:05 PM

When I had my car sand blasted the big flat areas ie centre roof, boot, bonnet ect were not done and paint stripper was used instead. Blasting is great for all the edges and hard to get too areas.

Cheers

#9 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 24 May 2007 - 12:03 AM

Soda blasting is the way to go. I have seen paint removed from aluminium cans without damage. I had my hatch soda blasted for $1200. I am getting the grill soda blasted next week. They say they can remove the paint without damaging the plastic, should be interesting.

Soda blasting leaves a coating on the metal so it will not rust for a couple of weeks giving you time to do panel work. When you are ready to prime you remove the coating using POR15 Metal Ready or a similar acid wash.

The worst thing about sand blasting is that the stuff gets everywhere inside panels etc. You can never get all the sand out, instead is sits there waiting to absorb moisture or fall out when the paint is wet.

#10 laspy

laspy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:36 AM

What is the advantage of soda blasting over bead blasting?

I was thinking to get the whole car bead blasted and then to have specific rusted areas sand blasted. This would be a more expensive process but a safe way to do things. The whole car will need a light sanding before primer is applied. What do you guyths think about this method?

cheers

#11 _Hatchblack_

_Hatchblack_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:34 AM

Just had my car soda blasted and couldn't be happier with the job.
Inside /outside/underneath all sparlky cleaned for $1600.00.

Left any areas of filler so it can be removed by the panel beater when painted. This is done so the panel beater can see very thin wipes of filler and can deal with them.

No damage whatso ever to the glass still in the doors, minor areas of rust were polished but not damaged at all.

Well recommended.

#12 laspy

laspy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:40 AM

Hey hatchback... did the soda blasting remove any of the bog/filler at all?
why did you choose soda blasting over bead blasting?

#13 _RTS Guy_

_RTS Guy_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:42 AM

The worst thing about sand blasting is that the stuff gets everywhere inside panels etc. You can never get all the sand out, instead is sits there waiting to absorb moisture or fall out when the paint is wet.

i agree with that comment.

i have had a car bead blasted before.
will definately be going that way again if needed.

#14 _Hatchblack_

_Hatchblack_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:51 AM

Hey hatchback... did the soda blasting remove any of the bog/filler at all?
why did you choose soda blasting over bead blasting?

The soda blasting guy asked how much filler I wanted removed - I was there while he did it. One part had layer on layer so that wes taken off by adjusting the blasting pressuer. Still no body damage though.

I chose this 'cause there is no damage to metal at all. After it's been done it is safe to leave the car in bare metal for about 2 months before any signs of surface rust appears (as long as you don't live in a salty area). When the car gets to the repairer all he ahs to do is hose it off to remove any excess soda as it's water soluable.

Im just south of Sydney and I took the car to Taren Point. Call John on 02 96665922

#15 laspy

laspy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 11:58 AM

I have been told by the owner of CarStrip that once a car is bead blasted it can be left a couple months without surface rust appearing. He recons this is due to the fact that the beads dont bight into the metal. Where as sand blasting bites deep into the steel so there is no protective coating over it what soever. One of the main reasons i want to get blasting done is to get rid of all surface rust and rust that has been bogged over. Either way if i go soda or bead the car will need to be sand blasted in some areas where there is rust...

#16 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 24 May 2007 - 12:37 PM

Soda blasting will probably remove any rust you have. If the rust is so bad that soda blasting does not remove it then it probably should be cut out.

See if you can find a soda blaster in your area and have a look at what they can do.

The following websites have some information.

http://www.asb-qld.com.au/faqs.htm
http://www.sodablast.....r Restoration

#17 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:18 PM

There was an article in SM April or May (might have been earlier). They did a step by step process and the results looked excellent. Quick turn around too, so I read.

#18 laspy

laspy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 06:43 PM

I will look into soda blasting...

Are there any companies in melbourne that do it? anyone?

#19 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:58 PM

Is Soda Blasting the going thing these Day's

or has Chemical Dipping taken over?

and we need Name's of Company's doing a Great Job Australia Wide

#20 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

7 year old thread dave?

Im slowly thinking chem dipping could be ok.

Being a large art of my job i still like media blasting with garnet.

Glass bead should not be used on cars.

Plastic beed looks alright.

Im still not convinced wih soda.

Cheers.

#21 EunUCh

EunUCh

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Car:japos

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:23 PM

We had a soda blaster do a bit of work on some brass work on an old steam engine,it is quite delicate and according to the bloke that did

it the main thing is that it is very alkaline and needs to be neutralized before you paint it.

It just about killed the grass in the area of the the steam engine.

#22 slar

slar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:Rusty the Torana......Nearly complete
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:29 PM

Heres a picture of my bonnet after sand blasting by a so called reputable company in Newcastle NSW.......... and No it wasnt Graham.

The bonnet looked fine in bare metal but once epoxied then a flat block lightly sanded over it.....it showed all the stretch marks and warpage.....if you look close at the shapes of the patches they match the under frame of the bonnet.

My boot lid turned out exactly the same.

So never again will I have any sheet panel sand blasted.....it peens and stretches sheet like crazy no matter how careful......this is why a blaster refuses to do the underside of bonnets and boot lids cause the areas not protected by the frame will stretch like buggery and leave huge bubble like stretches in the skin the same shape as the frame.

20140410_163756.jpg

#23 _sloffador_

_sloffador_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:35 PM

Geez Bomber its taken some convincing :)

#24 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:55 PM

Heres a picture of my bonnet after sand blasting by a so called reputable company in Newcastle NSW.......... and No it wasnt Graham.

The bonnet looked fine in bare metal but once epoxied then a flat block lightly sanded over it.....it showed all the stretch marks and warpage.....if you look close at the shapes of the patches they match the under frame of the bonnet.

My boot lid turned out exactly the same.

So never again will I have any sheet panel sand blasted.....it peens and stretches sheet like crazy no matter how careful......this is why a blaster refuses to do the underside of bonnets and boot lids cause the areas not protected by the frame will stretch like buggery and leave huge bubble like stretches in the skin the same shape as the frame.

20140410_163756.jpg

Sad to hear. 

Personally i wouldnt grit such a bit panel, i'd chem strip the big parts and just grit the tough bits, as i've done on a lot of cars with great success. 

Realistically the best method is a mixture of the best parts of all methods...I recon?

That said, give the bonnet three coats of a urethane primer filler and try again, recon you will get her straight. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Bomber Watson, 23 July 2014 - 07:56 PM.

#25 slar

slar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:Rusty the Torana......Nearly complete
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:43 PM

True Bomber, the bonnet is now straight.....I hit it with a couple of coats of Upol Reface poly.... then primer filler.....that fixed her lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users