Restoring the shine to Hinges, etc.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 _ronaldoredsox_

_ronaldoredsox_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:55 PM

Without going to the expense of re-zinc, how do I go about restoring the colour and shine to hinges. Maybe there is no way, but each time I get hinges re-zinked, they don't seem to work as well. help.

#2 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 01 June 2007 - 10:21 PM

You need a better zinc plater maybe

Never rebuilt a hinge so no idea
But we've just had some gear cad plated and everything looks good and seems to work (bonnet hinges)

Pics to follow in Welbys build thread

#3 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:38 PM

My hinges and catches are in getting re-zinced as I type. I'll let you know how they come out. Should be within a week, I'm hoping.
I know they're all rivetted together so disassembly wasn't an option for me (maybe someone out there knows more about sourcing those type of rivets than me, if that is the case then speak up, because the rivets in bonnet hinges wear out which renders the hinge useless for anyone wanting their bonnet to close properly).
Other than that, If you can stretch the spring out, you may be able to paint them???

Edited by Squarepants, 03 June 2007 - 06:48 PM.

#4 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:41 PM

I got mine plated and it cost me $130 for all my catches, bonnet hinges and door hinges and I cant complain about the quality either.
Squarepants, anyone who can use a lathe should be able to knock up some rivets, I think Toranamat did some out of stainless for his

#5 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:44 PM

My plater can remove and re rivet
Costs more but it can be done

He plated all Welbys stuff for the Targa hatch
Didn't need to redo the hinge rivets on that one though

#6 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:39 PM

I replaced the rivets on my bonnet hinges with stainless steel bolts machined down to suit.

#7 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:31 PM

Rogee! I'm a fitter and turner by trade so lathe work is not a problem, I never thought of making my own rivets though. Very industrious of you :clap: , thanks for the tip. I might go into reco'ing bonet hinges if there's a buck in it! :D

#8 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 04 June 2007 - 01:24 PM

Rogee! I'm a fitter and turner by trade so lathe work is not a problem, I never thought of making my own rivets though. Very industrious of you :clap: , thanks for the tip. I might go into reco'ing bonet hinges if there's a buck in it! :D

always happy to help :spoton:

make them out of stainless or something similar for the best results

#9 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:29 PM

I got my hinges and catches back...
BLING! They are almost as bright as chrome (but I know the shine won't last as long as chrome :cry: ).
But for $60 for 2 hinges (incl. springs) and the top and botton catches, I couldn't be happier!
Anyone out there need new rivets for their hinges? :spoton:

#10 _LoneOranger_

_LoneOranger_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:21 PM

Squarepants, I'm about to do my hinges.
Don't know if I need rivets yet.
Who did your plating?
Where are you located?
John.

#11 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:59 PM

I'm in Brisbane.
Got them done at Argo Plating in Moorooka, but there's another one on the North side somewhere.
I'm also getting my bumpers reco'd there so he probably gave me a good price on the hinges.
If your bonnet opens and closes without its allignment moving around too much then you don't need rivets. My bonnet sat up 5mm or so in one corner when I closed it but then I could push that corner down and it would line up fine, until I opened it again. I tried moving the hinge down but then the bonnet would dip and hit the cowell panel when I opened it.

#12 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

I know they're all rivetted together so disassembly wasn't an option for me (maybe someone out there knows more about sourcing those type of rivets than me, if that is the case then speak up, because the rivets in bonnet hinges wear out which renders the hinge useless for anyone wanting their bonnet to close properly).

Has anyone sourced any of these rivets? Is there perhaps an oversize fitment to restore the integrity of the hinge?
How many restorations have you seen marred whereby the bonnet "pops up" at the trailing edge because of slop in the rivets.
Might be a job for RPA or RSP.

#13 _nostolgia186turbo_

_nostolgia186turbo_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

i remember many years ago i had some cad plating done - looked good but never lasted . had some more done on a hq holden & i clear coated them with acrylic clear . looked bloody great . when i do my torana peices in cad i will be clear coating again - using 2k clear this time .. might not suit everyone but worked for me ..

#14 mika03au

mika03au

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

i remember many years ago i had some cad plating done - looked good but never lasted . had some more done on a hq holden & i clear coated them with acrylic clear . looked bloody great . when i do my torana peices in cad i will be clear coating again - using 2k clear this time .. might not suit everyone but worked for me ..

zinc plating might be a better bet?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users