Photo

HQ Brake conversion Tutorial

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#51 _joe moellers_

_joe moellers_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:48 PM

Just tried the cut down method for the HQ disk. Not happy with it as disk runs approx 7mm further away from caliper. Looks like mounting on caliper needs to be machined. What am I missing?

Joe

#52 _Drue_

_Drue_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:13 AM

is the hq conversion better than commodoore? cheaper? im still not sure what wheels i want to run. was thinking of some late model 17's or maybe just go for more of an original look?.. i think you can get the hq or commodoore conversion kits from the castlemaine rod shop?

Edited by Drue, 21 February 2009 - 11:14 AM.

#53 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:28 PM

Just tried the cut down method for the HQ disk. Not happy with it as disk runs approx 7mm further away from caliper. Looks like mounting on caliper needs to be machined. What am I missing?

Joe

Are you using the HQ stubs or Torana?Torana stubs should be used.

#54 kingsly

kingsly

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:30 AM

Im looking at doing this conversion myself and i just wanted to verify that i have the correct idea about it-

So using machined LH Drum Stubs with the castlemaine Adaptor plates will allow me to mount my wb girlock calipers ontop of my hq-j-x-z rotors?

cheers

#55 _joe moellers_

_joe moellers_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:59 PM

Are you using the HQ stubs or Torana?Torana stubs should be used.

I am using Torana stubs. Torana stub axles have bearings mounted 4 to 5 mm further out than HQ. That's how Holden made the HQ axles stronger. Same on the back. Torrie stub is also machined differently. 2 to 3 mm step instead of flat. I have machined my brackets and ground them to fit around the tie rod end. Will post some pictures when finished. Not a weekend job as I hoped. Thank God I have a spare front end.

Joe

#56 _waz355_

_waz355_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:53 AM

I am using Torana stubs. Torana stub axles have bearings mounted 4 to 5 mm further out than HQ. That's how Holden made the HQ axles stronger. Same on the back. Torrie stub is also machined differently. 2 to 3 mm step instead of flat. I have machined my brackets and ground them to fit around the tie rod end. Will post some pictures when finished. Not a weekend job as I hoped. Thank God I have a spare front end.

Joe

Did you have to machine down the thickness of the caliper brackets as well as clearance for tie rod?

#57 _joe moellers_

_joe moellers_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:25 PM

Did you have to machine down the thickness of the caliper brackets as well as clearance for tie rod?

Yes. Had to remove approximately 4mm from the bracket mounting face. Also have to remove 2.5 to 3 mm from between mounting holes OR the step on the stub axle itself. Bracket will be approx 2mm thicker than old torrie one. Also need to remove about 2 to 3 mm from area near steering arm (so both fit on the stub) and then grind for the tie rod end. If you want further info pm me at [email protected]
Joe

Edited by joe moellers, 16 April 2009 - 09:38 PM.

#58 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:21 PM

I have a couple of sets of WB Rotors/Stubs/Calipers if anyone needs them.
$100 per set.
I'm going to try this conversion for myself and experience the much talked about 'bumpsteer issue' and will then probably buy the Harrop steering arms to finish it off.

#59 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:40 PM

What happenned to that car after PB finished with it ?

Mick that car is still racing here in WA.

#60 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:17 PM

I have a couple of sets of WB Rotors/Stubs/Calipers if anyone needs them.
$100 per set.
I'm going to try this conversion for myself and experience the much talked about 'bumpsteer issue' and will then probably buy the Harrop steering arms to finish it off.

Can you take lots of pics so we can finally have a decent how to?

Cheers,
Grant..

#61 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:43 PM

Yes, I would like that a lot.

Does anyone know if you can run still run 13"s over the HQ (etc) series calipers on stub axles, or are the calipers that much bigger that it no longer clears? Cheers

#62 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:04 PM

I'm pretty sure you need 14s, running the Torana stub with reduced diameter disc as above would be required for 13s

#63 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:06 PM

i just finished doing a hq conversion on my mates lx hatch here is what i did!! hq stubs and discs put left stub on right and right stub on left used hz calipers had the rubber hose brake lines made longer,used uc steering arms got wheel alighnment and all works fine!! took it in the hills at 80kmh and 100kmh had no steering issues at all!!

#64 _JS192_

_JS192_
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:49 PM

i just finished doing a hq conversion on my mates lx hatch here is what i did!! hq stubs and discs put left stub on right and right stub on left used hz calipers had the rubber hose brake lines made longer,used uc steering arms got wheel alighnment and all works fine!! took it in the hills at 80kmh and 100kmh had no steering issues at all!!

will the hq discs and hz alloy calipers fit straight under 14inch wheels? or will the discs need to be machined?

this is the exact setup i'm putting together at the moment. thanks for your help!

jack

#65 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,469 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:09 PM

They came with factory 14's
So all fits

#66 Toran the Carbarian

Toran the Carbarian

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:50 PM

I'm sure I will upset a few people but after doing a heap of HQ/LH/X brake conversions this is how I now do it.

Remove the Torana caliper and disc. Take your HQ discs to the brake shop and get them to remove about 6mm or a quarter inch from the external diameter of the disc and get the disc face machined down all the way to the bolt up face (most HQ discs dont have this face fully machined as the pad normally doesn't run in this area). Fit these discs to the stub axles on your car and repack the bearings (HQ and LH/X/UC bearings are the same). Trial fit the HQ caliper and check for interference (yes the HQ caliper will bolt to the torana stub) and grind away as required to clear the tie rod end. Check the clearance between the outer pad and the bolt up face of the disc (you have moved the caliper closer to the bearing than it would be in an HQ). Refit, bleed brakes and drive off !!!

Yes the caliper does not sit as far away from the spindle as it does in an HQ but you do have ventilated discs, a real caliper, HQ pattern and no wheel alignment or bumpsteer issues. Try it , you'll like it.

Flame on non believers !!!!!!!!

Struggler,
Would this conversion be possible if I wanted to retain Torana stud pattern, 4.25" PCD. Could i fit a drilled HQ disc over a torana disc hub etc?
Max

#67 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 24 January 2010 - 09:02 PM

Yes Max

DBA will do an HQ-Z rotor in Torana pattern.

Grant..

#68 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,469 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 09:19 PM

They will do it blank
But won't drill the Torana pattern for you
Unless you buy 100
Its not worth reprogramming the CNC for less

#69 Toran the Carbarian

Toran the Carbarian

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:45 AM

Thanks Grant. I am running 14" dragway rims in torana pattern, which I would like to keep, also don't want to lower the front anymore. I am hoping to upgrade my front brakes using the above cut down HQ rotor and caliper method. Drilling a HQ rotor is now not the problem, I'm worried that a Torana hub may offset the rotor differently than the HQ hub, relative to the caliper. If HQ and Torana hubs are identical, bar the different PCD, then this will not be a problem either. Is this the case?

Thanks Max

Yes Max

DBA will do an HQ-Z rotor in Torana pattern.

Grant..

#70 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,469 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:48 PM

HQ's don't have hubs... its all cast into the disc
Nor do LX for that matter

So not sure where your going with this theory

#71 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:30 AM

I think he just wants to double-check that the HQ caliper will centre correctly over a reduced diameter HQ disc (machined down in diameter) if both are fitted to a Torana stub.

Looking at the bits and pieces in my shed it looks like it could be a few mm out which is just enough to be a pain.

#72 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,469 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:41 AM

Well its been done dozens of times
Brock raced a car just like it

#73 Toran the Carbarian

Toran the Carbarian

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:23 AM

Oops - sorry Datto, I was looking at a picture of front drum brakes which have a separate hub. Doh!! This solves my problems. I can machine the calipers or bracket to allow for any lateral misalignment, if not too great.
Thanks for that
Max

HQ's don't have hubs... its all cast into the disc
Nor do LX for that matter

So not sure where your going with this theory

#74 _vintageholden_

_vintageholden_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:08 PM

so all i nead is hq stub axles turned around l&r.
hq ventlated disks
i have wb alloy callipers.
what steering arms please, uc??

#75 _shannonstorana_

_shannonstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:06 PM

will the hq discs and hz alloy calipers fit straight under 14inch wheels? or will the discs need to be machined?

this is the exact setup i'm putting together at the moment. thanks for your help!

jack

sorry about the questions when you swap the stubs left to right, does this position the caliper on the front of the disc
and when you say uc steering arms are you talking about the little arms that attach to the rear of the stub
cheers
shannon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users