transmissions behind a 253 what is easy to replace

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _barned01_

_barned01_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:46 AM

Hi guys.
I know this is my first real post, so i will probably get the standard responses but i will ask away and see what is available while i still keep looking through this resource.
I just sold an LH torana to someone on this forum on the weekend but he has since run into some trouble with it.
It has to the best of my knowledge a 253 in it.
On the way home the new owner found that the automatic gearbox in it started having trouble shifting and got progressively worse. to the point it had trouble getting into second gear.
When i sold it I told him i was having trouble getting it into reverse but after a quick trip around the block it was fine so the first thing he should probably do was to just get the transmission looked at.
Now for him to not make it even home makes it seem it was worse that i expected it was.
his mechanic has looked at the transmission and said it is shagged but hasn't revealed any extra information to the owner to find out specifically what is going on but did say it was a TH350 box.
the owner does have a spare th400 that he wants to know if it will be a direct replacement.
so now i have a few questions.
-From the information i was able to gather yesterday and this morning, the 253 only ever came out with the TriMatic and the block was not the chev pattern block so a th350 or th400 could not just simply bolt in?
-If however it is indeed a TH350 as according to the mechanic, then it should be just a simple case of taking the shagged TH350 out and replacing it with the TH400 as the bolt spacings and box lengths should all be the same (no changes to xmember or tailshaft length required either)?
-the old man mentioned last night that because the car had been sitting for a long time (it had not been driven for 9 months until last week when both the owner and myself took it for a spin around the block to see if it was still alright...which it felt it was albeit the reverse issue mentioned above), that it would probably pay to drop the sump off of it and give it a good spray of WD40 inside the transmission to see if it will loosen up the valves and what not which may have become sticky after sitting for a long time?
-i suggested to the new owner that we both head down to a wrecking yard on the weekend and rip another gearbox from a torana down at the wreckers and simply replace whatever the transmission actually is with a similar era car and engine package transmission model?

IF anyone can help me with how accurate the information i have gathered is, that would be much appreciated to help the owner out.
cheers
Damien

Edited by barned01, 13 June 2007 - 11:47 AM.

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:54 PM

I think anyone would be guessing without seeing the bolt pattern of the block/bell housing, the length of the tranny (TH350 has three) and the yoke type (TH400 is usually bigger).
Also shifter can be cable operated where as TH400 like trimatic is usually rod actuated.

#3 _barned01_

_barned01_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:06 PM

cheers, he has let me know that the engine was in fact a 308 rather than a 253 so that explains the mismatch of gearbox to engine.
I suppose now i can safely say it was the chev bolt pattern....
he says he was driving along in 3rd then it would suddenly drop out of gear and free rev., the mechanic that he took it to then said it is happening on all of the gears.
it was fine the last time i drove it (9 months ago) and that was for about 30-40 k's over varying speeds and i never experienced any drop out of the gears.
we both drove it last week and again didn't experience it (except for the reverse issue which now sounds similar to what he is experiencing for the forward gears as i am writing this), it wasn't until he had left my home for a while that it started happening (say a couple of hours or so) so i assume it has something to do with once the transmission heats up a little.
I have been told by other people that the best thing to do is to start with rather than replacing anything or overhauling anything is to just have the bands retightened and new fluid put in it that isn't a minimum of 1 year old in it (unknown when the transmission was serviced honestly).
Hopefully he will do that first, i will give him a call later in the week and find out if it made a difference or if it is still shagged.

oh to add the car had a b&m shifter in it so i don't know if that makes a difference if he was to put the th400 in instead (which i think he is shying away from now)

Edited by barned01, 13 June 2007 - 06:08 PM.

#4 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:00 PM

i have heard that the th400 will have trouble fitting in the Torana trans tunnel as they are a big chunky box....

Not sure what the problem is with the box, but by the sounds of it, it needs a good over haul. My trimatic in my hq gets worse and worse as it heats up. Anything over a 30min drive and 3rd gear just floats away....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users