Adjusting the LC Bonnet

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2006 - 01:17 PM

I had it 1/2inch on passenger side sitting high at the back and about 1/4 inch on the drivers side. After an hour and new hinge on the passenger side I have it down to about 1/4 inch on both sides. Anyone any clues on which way to go to get the back down a bit more? Or I might leave it for hot air to escape.
R

#2 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2006 - 06:01 PM

If you dont have any more adjustment left in your bolts then theres only a few things left that will affect the way the bonnet sits at the rear.

Springs on the hinges are normally what gives grief....i can't remember do LC's have springs fitted???.....new or better condition springs will pull the bonnet down more at the rear, if obtaining these is not an option you can try lightly oiling the springs, it sounds silly but it does work and should be part of general maintainence.

If you look on the chassis rails to inner guards on an LC/LJ there is typically some flex in there (ie. a gap) usually caused by wear and tear and the extra weight of the 6cyl front end, this can also cause rear bonnet gap problems too. I'm pretty sure XU1s have reinforcement in this area am i correct or is this another myth??

Not really too much of a solution but might give an idea or too on what could be causing it.

#3 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:26 PM

When you say no more adjustment, do you mean up or down? And an 8 cylinder might make it worse? You lost me on the chassis rails bit.
R

Edited by rorym, 22 January 2006 - 08:32 PM.

#4 Loui

Loui

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:52 PM

what i did was just undo the hinge bolts a tiny bit, close the bonnet, push the back of the bonnet down until the bonnet was flush, then carefully open the bonnet and do up the bolts tight

worked for me

Cheers

Loui

#5 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 09:47 PM

This is a common problem on LC/LJ's. I suspect the easiest way is to set the bonnet up without the motor, ( I know that they didn't do that at the plant but bear with me for a sec), I think mount the hinges firm but not tight with the car on stands, close the bonnet and push it down flush with the guards, get up underneath and tighten the four hinge bolts. Then you have to let it down off the stands, remove the bonnet and then put the engine in. Its a roundabout way of doing it but I think it will work. (Sorry Rorym)

Edited by surfmaster, 22 January 2006 - 09:47 PM.

#6 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2006 - 10:20 PM

If you do have more adjustment left either up or down i'd suggest getting another pair of hands to help you to adjust them. One person on the ratchet while the other puts pressure on the bonnet to where it needs to go. Sometimes with these old holden hinges the actual hinge may need to come up to allow the bonnet to sit lower......sounds crazy but if the logical answer isnt working well its time to rip out the bulls**t.

It will be much easier to get it right with another person with you to bounce ideas off and give you the weight where needed.

With the rails myth, i mean the inner edge near the firewall, where the inner guards weld onto the rail sections, tight original cars have little to no gap in there and flogged out jalopys usually have a fairly large amount of separation in there, which will affect how things line up.

#7 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:10 AM

i dont think hell be pulling the engine out to adjust the bonnet! lol

rory mine always lines up nicely, never high, ive got it marked so i know where to put it back, all i can suggest is if u cant get it to line up, try a different set of bonnet hinges?

A1

#8 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:39 AM

I did the passenger one, I might just let it sit up a bit for the hot air to escape.
R

#9 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:35 PM

The back of the bonnet is raised a little on mine too,I just put it down to having worn out hinges so I adjusted it so that the back is even on both sides so when people ask if its raised to let heat out I just agree lol.

#10 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:24 PM

yoru all way off....

teh answer is...loosen the bolts off where the hinges bolt to the guards. now push the bonnet right up. yes, you heard correclty right up. keep pushing up. believe it or not, this actualy makes the back of the bonnet go down. try it. it works.

#11 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:44 PM

I used Lc boi's trick on my HQ ages ago and it worked perfectly, just push bonet up and tighten bolts and my bonet sat flush at the back :spoton:

#12 _Pete_

_Pete_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:17 PM

yoru all way off....

Sometimes with these old holden hinges the actual hinge may need to come up to allow the bonnet to sit lower......

Although unsuccessfully your point is what i was trying to elude to previously :spoton:

#13 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:28 PM

meh, no point for eluding to on the net mate, grab it by the balls and tell it how it is....

#14 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:33 PM

GOD! At 50 I HATE it when a 17yo finds my problem!! BOI!...You are still me hero! ...A bit TOO much like me at your age! (Now that is a TERRIBLY scary thought!)
:clap:
R

Edited by rorym, 26 January 2006 - 09:34 PM.

#15 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:29 AM

Good to know, cheers lcboi

A1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users