bluea9x

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Name:King Loz
  • Car:1976 L31 SS

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:35 PM

My friend called me today and told me he is going to put his beloved hatch on the market. He's asked me to field any interested parties for him for security reasons.
He is open to any genuine offers considering this is one of two GMPA Bob Forbes factory lightweight race shells. It's the sister car to the Janson/Perkins car.

PM me for further details

#2 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:02 PM

When I saw it in the late 90's, it was a great looking car.

Very Very Special.

At the current prices it should go 300k - 500k.

#3 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:19 PM

This the orange/red car in Canberra?
R

#4 bluea9x

bluea9x

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:24 PM

yes it is rorym

#5 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:29 PM

Wheres those bloody Lotto numbers>??!!
R

#6 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:02 AM

Might mention that to the owner of the 79 Janson Hatch

#7 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:12 AM

I think he will be pleasantly surprised with the money he gets for it. I have been at him for years to sell it and cash in..

#8 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:02 PM

Others may disagree wih this, but I feel Shannons Auctions(or similar) are prob the best way to offload these sort of vehicles.

Gets the vehicle a good wide audience, the audience have the funds available thus increasing the chance of scoring a record price. And should be safe in saying that the vehicle wil be looked after by the new purchaser/collector ...

#9 _scooter_

_scooter_
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:20 PM

I think the 11% sellers premium plus other costs might put a dent in any record price. Your right about the crowds though. It's a bit of a quandry...where do you offload such cars???

scooter :spoton:

#10 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:35 PM

You can park it on the grass outside my place..great exposure to highway traffic. :tease:

#11 kudu

kudu

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • Car:LH SL/R 5000

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:17 PM

ANyone able to post a pic of this car in its heyday??

#12 bluea9x

bluea9x

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:01 PM

Kudu this car never raced it was in amc mag a while ago

#13 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:10 AM

Bob Forbes was going to go to LeMans and take 2 Torana hatchbacks. They were going to have turbo carged 253's at one stage with big flares. The drivers were going to be Bob Forbes, Peter Brock and Alan Grice (what a combination). Funding died and the project got canned. One car was sold to Peter janson and became his 79 car. The other was sold to a drag racer and has passed hands a few times since. Niether car was completed. It's a shame as a lot of money was poured into the project. Holden even had wheels specially cast in magnesium in Italy for the project. Bob Forbes still had them along with a few other parts up till about 10 years ago, still brand new.

#14 _Rob 5000_

_Rob 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2007 - 12:41 PM

GAWD Red, how do you know all this stuff??? Just amazing source of info you are. Wish I knew half as much about Torana's as you do. :clap:

#15 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:58 PM

GAWD Red, how do you know all this stuff??? Just amazing source of info you are. Wish I knew half as much about Torana's as you do.

thats why they call him the A9X GURU

#16 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:10 PM

BTW I didn't put that GURU thing there and some might suggest it's the only thing I know lol

#17 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:34 PM

some might suggest it's the only thing I know lol

Not if they have been around these forums for awhile.

You should have been a Police Detective, not only you know about the history of toranas but you can spot a flaw or bullshit story soon as you see it.

Maybe thats what makes you a GURU, knowing what is truth and whats not.

john

#18 to fly

to fly

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:01 PM

AMC issue 16 has a great story about A9X LE MANS, 6 pages with great design sketches of the mods and styling changes they were going to have , these were going to have a serious crack at the Porsches in group 4, just never got the sponsors needed to fund the trip.

#19 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:15 PM

Bob Forbes was going to go to LeMans and take 2 Torana hatchbacks. They were going to have turbo carged 253's at one stage with big flares. The drivers were going to be Bob Forbes, Peter Brock and Alan Grice (what a combination). Funding died and the project got canned. One car was sold to Peter janson and became his 79 car. The other was sold to a drag racer and has passed hands a few times since. Niether car was completed. It's a shame as a lot of money was poured into the project. Holden even had wheels specially cast in magnesium in Italy for the project. Bob Forbes still had them along with a few other parts up till about 10 years ago, still brand new.

Those mags would be a bit brittle now?..
R

#20 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:52 PM

Not sure if this is fact or fiction but from what I have been told every time this LeMans car comes up in conversation. The reason they canned the A9X's from LeMans was it was going to be pretty much an A9X victory. So at the time they decided to change the ruling on fuel stopages/changed for the race.
It worked out the fueled used by the A9X's and the amount of fuel/stoppage etc. The A9X's would not be able to finish the race.

Forbes is a local in our part of town and a few of the old guys grew up with him, so not sure if this is a made up story or not but i'd say its come from that crowd.

#21 _ozbox_

_ozbox_
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:08 PM

just going through a big pile of old magazines i purchased years ago and what do i find but an article on the lemans a9x that was sold to the drag racer..the mag its in is street machine/van wheels dec 81 jan 82..was sold to a guy called john coxhead in around 79 so it says..even a pic there with its rego plate showing..

#22 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:12 PM

Maybe a class victory but they would have been up against some pretty big budget factory operations for outright victory.....

#23 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:02 AM

The wheels may be a bit brittle, but only 16 were made and only 8 exist now, so they'd be worth something for sure. Dave told me when he bought them he had them professionally checked and had them polished and coated in a type of clear that would stop them from going off colour again.

#24 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:28 AM

what do these wheels look like.

#25 a9x868

a9x868

maurice mead of hatchbacks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Name:facebook dave
  • Car:valencia holden torana a9x hatch ultimate improvement on the barbados L34

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:44 PM

Not if they have been around these forums for awhile.

You should have been a Police Detective, not only you know about the history of toranas but you can spot a flaw or bullshit story soon as you see it.

Maybe thats what makes you a GURU, knowing what is truth and whats not.

john
trawling google i found this
have to say to red your knowledge on the ultimate torana,s is second to none
and yes it,s a very very old thread

Edited by a9x868, 09 September 2014 - 08:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users