Posted 20 April 2011 - 03:27 PM

Looks Good Mate.... If you need any parts send us a PM :P

#53 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:53 PM

Woohoo!!!

Looking good Steve!

Matt, thats exactly how I've been feeling, actually able to start on this one after so so long.

Looks Good Mate.... If you need any parts send us a PM :P

Got any rear floor pans for LC/J? Mines kinda rooted.

Thanks

Steve

#54 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:11 PM

On Tuesday this week I started work on the inside roof. One of the previous owners had decided to begin removing the sound deadening material. Pity there is nothing under that but bare metal.

I scrapped the remaining stuff off, but found there was some between the brace and the roof. Well the centre brace would have to come out.

Posted Image

I got myself one of them spot weld drills and proceeded to attack the brace.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After removing the brace I wirewheeled the whole roof, including the pillars and drowned it all in rust converter.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And that was Tuesday.

Steve

#55 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:15 PM

After removing the brace I wirewheeled the whole roof, including the pillars and drowned it all in rust converter and got myself absolutely covered in CRAP! :furious:

Good work! :)

#56 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:20 PM

After reading through a dirtbags Camaro thread to get up some courage, I attacked the rear floor. Its pretty rooted really, but since no one makes rear floor pan sections I will just have to have a go at fabricating them myself. As a mate said, the carpet will cover it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not much more than this occurred, other to cover it all with rust proof before calling it a day.

Steve

#57 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:25 PM

After removing the brace I wirewheeled the whole roof, including the pillars and drowned it all in rust converter and got myself absolutely covered in CRAP! :furious:

Good work! :)

Thanks Rob. :) I'm just gonna have a go at all of it and see how it ends up. I'm not expecting a show car finish, but reckon I can do a presentable job.

I did manage to avoid getting myself covered in rust converter, but reckon the roof could do with another hit. Today I tackled the roof because the rust converter had not dried from yesterday (miserable raining Melbourne weather).

Steve

#58 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:29 AM

Good work Steve, 2 doors are getting harder to find, your investment is worth the effort !

#59 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:53 PM

Well the plan had been to get stuck into the car in June, while my housemate was away and I could take over his shed, but instead I busted the fifth metatarsal in my right foot on Queens birthday weekend playing indoor soccer, so nothing happened at all.

Over the last weekend in the perfect weather I finally got back to it and finished cutting another hole out of the floor. I'm gonna make up the patches next, but theres still heaps more to cut out.

Question, do you think it would be a bad thing to remove the central brace to fix the holes int he floor? I'm more worried about structual integrity than putting the thing back but the car has nothing in it so i can't see how it would be a problem.

Pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes there is a lot of holes in the piece i removed from the spot weld drill, its hard to find the spot welds with all the pitting in the floor!

Posted Image

Posted Image

P.S. any chance a mod could change the title of this thread to "Stav's LC 'GTR' project"? thanks :)

Edited by 73LJWhiteSL, 23 August 2011 - 05:59 PM.

#60 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:06 PM

Looks like it needs 2 rear floor pans to me? :dontknow:
You'll just be chasing rust otherwise.

#61 _toranatime_

_toranatime_
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:50 PM

the torana is looking good there mate

Edited by toranatime, 24 August 2011 - 06:53 PM.

#62 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:00 PM

Rodomo,

Yeah it probably does need new rear floors but no one makes them so I'm just gonna have a go with the metal i have. If it doesn't work I will have to find a donar car anyways,

Thanks toranatime.

I potentially have my housemate's shed to myself over the whole weekend, so hopefully there should be a fair bit of progress.

Stav

#63 r2160

r2160

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Name:Glenn
  • Car:2/71 LC GTR, 4/71 LC 4 'S'

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:34 PM

Have you thought about chasing a shell up? you might find a shell pretty cheap with the sections you need.

Good to see another one being resurrected!!

cheers
Glenn

#64 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:04 AM

Gday Glenn,

Haven't really put much effort into a shell, last few times i've looked around people are asking silly prices for rusted out bombs. So i persist with what I have.

Saturday and Sunday were pretty huge days for me. I managed to remove the floor brace AND put my first patch in. Its messy, doesn't look great but well its a bit simbolic cause its one small step towards my plan. Pictures:

Posted Image
Brace so i can remove the floor brace

Posted Image

Posted Image
Fun with spot welds and the flaps on each side of the brace

Posted Image
Finally out, it took me like 8 hours

Posted Image

Posted Image
Rust that was under the brace

Posted Image
Brace on the work bench

Posted Image
After a clean up I cut another piece cut out of the floor. I wanted something small and easy to start with.

Posted Image
Probably a curved bit wasn't a great idea, but I didn't have too much trouble forming the patch.

Posted Image
First few tacks

Posted Image
Messy messy but its in. I know i'm gonna have to have another go at this with the welder.

Posted Image
Ground down and about to be primed to seal it untill i can get back to have another go.

Steve

#65 _mick74lh_

_mick74lh_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:53 PM

Great stuff Steve!

#66 r2160

r2160

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Name:Glenn
  • Car:2/71 LC GTR, 4/71 LC 4 'S'

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:17 PM

Mate because it looks a little messy, you might not have enough gas to get a clean weld.

Try getting a little closer or turning the gas up a bit. Just remember, once you grind it down, it will look perfect!!

cheers
Glenn

Edited by r2160, 31 August 2011 - 07:18 PM.

#67 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:03 AM

awesome stuff steve if you ever get a chance check out peter tommasinis dvds if you get stuck i did all mine myself and did everything the hard way then got a set of dvds about 3 weeks later and realised it could have been so much easier

#68 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:15 PM

Thanks guys.

r2160 -> I've got the MIG set as low as it will go pretty much. Its a GAS MIG so no problems there but i had it really low to reduce the change of blowing holes. Maybe i need to turn it up a bit because its probably not penetrating the joint well enough. Also i think i could do a better job of cleaning up before hand. I'm gonna get some sandpaper i can fit to the grinder like i see dirtbag doing in his thread. :)

mr5000 -> Is that a welding or restoring DVDs? Any of that stuff on youtube?

Steve

#69 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:25 AM

steve,,, mate surly some one would have the back half of a donar car there not using that you could get the floor from,,, i would help mate but i sent heaps to the local scrapper,, the time and money you would save will help your pocket...

cheers gong

#70 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:59 AM

they show a small bit of it each week on gasoline maybe there website has some footage of it if the metal is to pitted for the mig you might have to use an oxy and some brazing rods

#71 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:09 PM

Also what size mig wire are you using???I'm no pro welder but I found that .6mm wire worked best for me.I was using .9mm wire first and was blowing heaps of holes.
Keep at it ,you'll get there. :spoton:

#72 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:06 AM

Gday all,

just thought i would update this, since the last month has seen the most progress on the LC in a long long time.

My housemate went away so i took over the shed and got stuck into it. In brief:

Cut the rust out of the rear passenger floor, and welded in new pieces. Still need to clean this up and fix a few pin holes.

Cut the rust out of the rear drivers floor, and fabricate new pieces. Still wedling them in.

Paint the inside roof and Pillars with KBS RustSeal.

Heres a few snaps

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#73 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:57 PM

steve,,, mate surly some one would have the back half of a donar car there not using that you could get the floor from,,, i would help mate but i sent heaps to the local scrapper,, the time and money you would save will help your pocket...

cheers gong

yes it was a bummer as he saw my post too late to reply as it went to the tip. I did PM him to see if he wanted it. It would have worked well. the last part of the 4 door went to the tip and would have worked well.

Apart from the post from NSW to Vic.

sorry steve, it got cut up and was sick of it hanging around.

PS - but your doing fine with the work so far

Edited by Agent 34, 28 September 2012 - 07:58 PM.

#74 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

After spending most of the last few weeks lying under the car grinding, the rear floor plans are basically finished. I've decided to full the pin holes from the top with some weld and then not grind it down completly flush, rather than filling pin holes with bog or something else. I'm focusing on the brace for the moment to give me a bit of a break from all the grinding. Hoping to start hassling Vicroads to get them to stamp a police number on the car in the next month or so. Here some more progress shots.

Roof brace, sandbasted then painted in KBS RustSeal

Posted Image

Posted Image

Welding the floor in

Posted Image

Posted Image

Grinding down

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image