Rust Repair Sections

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:50 PM

The Rares website doesn't list many rust repair sections for the LH-LX.
I was wondering if there are more available that are not listed?
I'm after a replacement radiator support pannel, cowl panel and bonnet hing bolt on sections as these are a common place for rust.

#2 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:47 PM

Sorry we do not make the parts you mention but I will add them to our wish list
What do other owners think is there a call for these parts and other parts?

#3 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:01 PM

The "stiffner" panel that runs along the bottom of the front of the radiator support on a LH/LX if not avliable.

#4 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:29 PM

i agree that all those areas mentioned. are very much Rust prone areas! And no doubt would sell well!

#5 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:11 PM

Agreed. The lower spot welded on square section of the radiator support panel is very prone to rust, as it is sandwiched up against the nosecone panel, and it collects mud and moisture. It would be a fairly easy section to remake, even if you just made the "U" cross section part of it, extending only as far as the radiator does.

The panel behind the bonnet hinges is also a bad area for rust, as not only does water and dirt get in behind the hinges, but on the rear face where the captive nuts are, Holdens welded on an angled panel top and bottom, presumably to deflect mud and water from the front tyres, but from what I've seen, it collects it rather than deflects it. I've replaced a set of these panels, and I used thicker steel, and deleted the angled panels on the rear.

Les, these would be easy to make. It's a flat panel with two holes drilled into it, and two nuts welded on it. Just make it out of thicker stuff than GMH did, and include some instructions as to how to accurately locate it, as the bonnet hinge hole locations are pretty critical. There's a bit of adjustment when bolting the hinges on, but not a whole lot.

#6 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:13 PM

While we're suggesting for LXs, the front lower inner corners of the doors (where the door seal passes over) is also a rust prone section, as is the bottom panel on the door (also where the seal sits). This would need to be made with the holes for the door seal accurately punched/drilled in it, as any small variation causes the door seal to not sit flat.

#7 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:09 PM

Any chance of getting pictures of the rust panels required

#8 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:21 PM

Yep, I'll prolly hafta do some artwork on photos of doors to show you the areas that rust out badly.

#9 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:23 PM

Yep, I'll prolly hafta do some artwork on photos of doors to show you the areas that rust out badly.

That would be great

#10 LHSL

LHSL

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Name:Phillip
  • Car:1974 LH SL; 2 x 1975 LH S Toranas

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:32 PM

how about the bottom section of the LH/LX nosecone. This is also prone to rust.
Cheers,
Phillip

#11 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:39 PM

how about the bottom section of the LH/LX nosecone. This is also prone to rust.
Cheers,
Phillip

Sorry i'm not sure what you mean as i've never seen rust on the bottom of the front apron, like between the indicators where the two bolts go in, is this where you mean?

#12 LHSL

LHSL

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Name:Phillip
  • Car:1974 LH SL; 2 x 1975 LH S Toranas

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:36 AM

Sorry yes I mean the hole bottom piece from indicator to indicator. I have a couple of aprons and they have rust along the bottom, especially near the number plate.
Cheers,
Phillip

#13 _Cane_It_

_Cane_It_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:37 PM

what about the metal battery tray section? they ALWAYS rust out....

#14 _tazidvl_

_tazidvl_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:36 PM

While we're suggesting for LXs, the front lower inner corners of the doors (where the door seal passes over) is also a rust prone section, as is the bottom panel on the door (also where the seal sits). This would need to be made with the holes for the door seal accurately punched/drilled in it, as any small variation causes the door seal to not sit flat.

Lower door frame section and bonnet hinge area as well as lower rad support area would be very handy. Has anyone sent you pics of these areas yet?

#15 _torana_

_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:59 PM

thats what i was going to say, as well as the rear pillars and bottom rear corner sections on hatches
cheers julian

#16 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:52 AM

thats what i was going to say, as well as the rear pillars and bottom rear corner sections on hatches
cheers julian

They are available RP2049 RP2049A RP2049B RP2049C RP2150 RP2151

#17 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:54 AM

Lower door frame section and bonnet hinge area as well as lower rad support area would be very handy. Has anyone sent you pics of these areas yet?

No we have not recieved any pict yet

#18 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:48 PM

Les, I just checked. I sent you these door pictures on 25/11/04, along with the pics of the battery trays that you were looking to reproduce at the time.

#19 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:29 PM

Les, pics hosted rather than posted. First of all, door pics. These are of hatch doors, but the sedan front doors would be identical for rust replacement parts, except for the length for the bottom of the hatch door. This could be used for the sedan door, and cut to length. I can't recall if you make a lower door skin repair panel for LH/LX, but if you did, that would suit the outer front corner.

Posted Image

If you made the corresponding "inner corner" which is a tricky 3D shape to match up to the outer corner, that would suit nicely. Hatches in particular also have a habit of cracking and rusting the front inside panel of the door frame near the bottom hinge, as they're so heavy. This is the bit between the red 3D shape that I've outlined, and the door skin. Dunno if it would be easier to make the entire inner corner in one part , all the way from where the door trim sits to the door skin and up to the base of the lower hinge, or make it in two parts.

Posted Image

This should be a simpler panel. relatively flat shape under the door rubber, from the edge where the door trim sits, all the way out to the edge of the door frame/door skin. Would probably make life easier for us if it had the holes accurately drilled for the door rubber clips too.

Posted Image

Next, the bonnet hinge area (red). Sorry, these pics don't show all of the detail, but you get the idea of what is needed. Holden welded the reinforcing panel onto the wheel arch side of the engine bay inner guard, then bolted the hinge to the engine bay side of the inner guard. This makes for a neat little rust spot, as water and dirt can lodge in between the reinforcing panel and the inner guard, and also the hinge and the inner guard. You could probably make just the reinforcing panel out of thicker section flat steel (maybe make it larger??) and include the welded on nuts for the bonnet hinge bolts. Alternatively, you could make both parts - a thin gauge flat piece with two holes in it to replace the inner guard section, and a thicker gauge part with captive nuts welded on it to replace the reinforcing section. This would allow the entire rusty area to be cut out of the inner guard, and your panel(s) welded in from the wheel arch side. The original reinforcing section had folded ends, which only helped to trap the dirt and water. I don't think a rust replacement section would need them.

Lastly, the lower radiator support panel and front lip (blue). Mostly it's only the "U" shaped front lip section that rusts out, but if it traps dirt, then it can also rust out the lower radiator support panel behind it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Dangerous, 21 August 2007 - 05:37 PM.

#20 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:32 PM

I hate double posts!!! :gun: :fool:

Edited by Dangerous, 21 August 2007 - 05:35 PM.

#21 _SSL31_

_SSL31_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:37 AM

When are the hatch rust repair pieces for between the hatch hinges available???

#22 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:16 AM

When are the hatch rust repair pieces for between the hatch hinges available???

There is no plan to manufacture this part at present

#23 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:23 AM

Dangerous
Thanks for the picts they will be most helpful

#24 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:55 AM

No probs Les. Sorry it took a while.

#25 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:00 PM

Dangerous, book into a car restoration course at tech at night. Half of those replacement panels you want are straight panel replacement (including door skin corner repair) that they cover in that course, the other half (contoured panels) fair enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users