Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Car:Blown A9X replica, Black SS hatchback, LH SLR5000

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:41 PM

G'day all,
I've been scratching my head for a while and reading some of the previous questions that some of you fellow brothers and sisters have been asking about bare metal protection for your pride and joys. I am in the process of building 4 torana's at once (2 x original SLR5000's, 2 x A9X replicas). I am about to get the 4 bodies sandblasted and like others was looking for a coating to stop the bare metal from rusting.
I am like a lot of you guys out there that did their apprenticeship at tech and used a water type susbstance that was brushed on then wiped off the the next week with thinners so that you could continue making that door skin that the tech teachers then bent in half and then told you to repair it.
As I was thinking of the product I saw the latest issue of Street Machine and saw Adam LaBrese's coupe on the cover in bare metal. I rang the shop in Queensland where Adam works and the guy I spoke too said that he did not know the name of the product but told me that Adam and the car would be in Sydney at Motorex and that if I saw Adam there he would tell what it was they used on the body.
Well after paying my $18 to get in I went searching for the coupe and Adam. What a genuine guy he is. I asked him what he put on the car and he told me it was called "Henkel". He said that he did not know the name of the place that sold it but it was just around the corner from his workshop in Currumbin QLD. He said if I gave him a week he would have more of the stuff and then he was going to bulk buy it and then offer it for sale to whoever wants some.
When I got home I jumped on the net and entered "Henkel" into the search engine to find out that Henkel is the name of the company in USA that sells the clear product that you put on the bare metal. If you go to the site you will find it under industrial coatings. I will ring Adam next week and speak with him about getting some of the product off him as it may be cheaper to get from him rather than the states. If anyone wants to call Adam give him a call at Kustom City on (07)55342077 in about a week and he might have some of the product for sale.

If you can't wait that long while at the show I went to the PPC coatings stand and spoke to the rep to see if they had a similar product. PPC do the POR15 rust coatings. They have a product called SW2 protective oil. The rep said they use it where you cannot get paint into like inside doors and some parts of body shells. He said that it can be put onto bare metal and it will not rust and can be removed with their POR15 solvent. The good thing is that if you don't get it all off before painting you can paint over it. It can be put on with a brush, spray gun or pump sprayer. I don't know if anything I typed here may help anyone, I hope it does.

Ruts.

#2 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:59 PM

thanks mate thats a hugh help for me as i have some guards i just got sand blasted that need coating.

#3 Loui

Loui

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:37 PM

Excellent information

You certainly are a man of action

Cheers

Loui

#4 _timbotorrie_

_timbotorrie_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:55 PM

that is good to know mate, nice research! will keep these products in mind when i get a couple of hatches blasted soon

#5 _SL/R SS A9X_

_SL/R SS A9X_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:28 AM

thanks man, this stuff helped alot! =]

#6 _mrfmad_

_mrfmad_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 05:26 PM

Hi just por 15 my whole inside inner guards engine bay etc. I have never used Por 15 before but am happy with the results. Thought i would send a picture of my floor. This stuff should protect her. Used Metal Ready product first before applying Por 15. Not a cheap product but quality product. Well we will see in 10 years LOL
Michelle Posted Image

#7 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

Well it's been a while but I have an update on a product which I have been chasing up and have finally found where to buy and how good it really is. It is a clear liquid which has a few names which is made by Henkel. This was a product that Adam LaBrese put me onto to cover bare metal for extended periods. The good thing about it is that it can put on with a spray bottle or pump bottle and you can bog and paint straight over it. I have heard and spoken too a guy who uses it and has left panels sit for years. Here are a few links that I have chased up so have a read. On the Alfa site scroll down to BLUE FLAME and see what Tim thinks about this product. I have just ordered 2 x 20 litre drums from Sydney Autolac. I'll let you know how much when I get the bill. Other names for this product are 'Paint Grip 253' and 'Kephos 253'. I have not used it myself but I have seen it in a panel shop over the last few days and have watched repairs being carried out over it.

http://www.telfordin...p?ProductID=416

http://www.alfabb.co...estoration.html

#8 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:11 PM

sweet,

thanks for the heads up,i like the sound of this product,will come in very handy indeed.

#9 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:38 PM

Hehe took 4 years but great stuff :D Im keen to get some and give it a try!

#10 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:51 AM

Looks like a good product, it's essentially phosphoric acid in a non-aqueous mix. Could make up your own up if you were that way inclined....:stirpot:

#11 _daveHQ_

_daveHQ_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:20 PM

there's another product too that's good for bare metal to be left for a bit

it's called gibbs, mike's auto body in NZ sells it and recommends it and so does streetneat, so it must be good

if anyone in NZ or Aus wants a link to the suppliers i'll find the link and link you too it

#12 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:29 PM

Yeah I heard about Gibbs, Troy Trepanier in the USA uses it. I sent them an email some time ago and they told me they use it.

#13 _nzstato_

_nzstato_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:19 AM

there's another product too that's good for bare metal to be left for a bit

it's called gibbs, mike's auto body in NZ sells it and recommends it and so does streetneat, so it must be good

if anyone in NZ or Aus wants a link to the suppliers i'll find the link and link you too it

I'd be keen as I heard a nasty rumor that Gibbs was no longer able to be sold in NZ :dontknow:

#14 _daveHQ_

_daveHQ_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:06 PM

there's plenty of links in this thread to find it http://oldholden.com/node/87261 there's even a post or 2 from mike the NZ supplier

#15 _2DR_

_2DR_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:33 PM

i have used gibbs and still do i think it is a good product has been in oz for only six months but only in the east.

it is a very thin product that goes along way but is not recommended to be painted over .
it is also good for a vast amount of other things.

#16 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:57 PM

Where are you getting Gibbs from?

#17 _2DR_

_2DR_
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:02 PM

i got 5 lts from the east coast from phenix industries wayne i think his name is good bloke but on the pricey side i think $90 per litre but it goes a long way .
the main problem is that its a class 3 flamable so its a pain to courier or ship.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users