What is a Hydra trac?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:17 AM

I hear the term hydra trac associated with commodore diffs, is that just the name for the LSD versions?

#2 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Car:1977 LX SL/R 5000

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:14 AM

From my limited knowledge, a Hydratrak differential is a LSD. However, it's a speed sensitive rather than torque sensitive LSD.

#3 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:41 AM

Hydratrak limited-slip differential uses a cartridge-type
fluid coupling, which progressively and smoothly increases torque transfer to
the wheel with traction. This is in direct response to the reactive speed
difference between the wheel with traction and the opposing, faster rotating
wheel -- the wheel that is slipping. Thus, the more one wheel slips, the more
useful traction that is transferred to the opposing wheel.

The standard holden/BW lsd is a plate-type (act just like little sprung clutch plates) that locks up fairly rapidly and sharply if one wheel spins faster than the other. They can be taken out and torqued up tighter if you want less slip before it starts turning the other wheel as well. The downside is that they lock up just as sharply at low speed, which the viscous type don't, so the rear drifts out more easily if you provoke it in a corner at low speed - but fun as long as you're ready for it!

#4 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:19 AM

Great diff, I have one in my Senator. The VT1 stroker HSV's were the last cars to have them fitted. They were introduced with the VR GTS

#5 _the gts_

_the gts_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:20 AM

yep good, better than normal LSD, i have one in the gts.

its funny when you only just break traction it will swap spinning from one side to the other very quickly. but when it locks up you get full wheelspin on both sides then WHOO HOO lots of sideways action :spoton:

#6 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:39 PM

Ok, from what I've read with other threads, the general consensus I get is when other members go with the BW diff conversion, they go with just the normal LSD. Is that because obtaining the Hydra Trac is too expensive? Or it doesn't fit in certain housings?

#7 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:48 PM

it fits in the standard housing, but it's expensive. Look at the prices for a full house VT Senator series one, then look at a full house VT 2 Senator from new you will see more than a $10,000 price drop, mainly due t hand bulit stroker engines, 6 speed conversion and Hydratrac

#8 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:51 PM

Oh, that option is starting to sound expensive, and if your gonna go that way, you may as well go the 9 inch conversion. Bugger. But it would sound pretty cool to say that you've got a 'hydratrac' diff' instead of just a BW, although, it probably is made by BW lol

#9 _kaz from adelaide_

_kaz from adelaide_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 02:56 PM

I hear the term hydra trac associated with commodore diffs, is that just the name for the LSD versions?

hydra trac is the name of the computer sniffer robot dogs that sniff (aka track) hydraponically grown dope in commodores, which leads to arrests in LSD production.

If you believe that then you are on drugs. LOOK OUT!

Sorry, I just had my hair cut and I am feeling a tad light headed. :spoton:

#10 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 12 July 2007 - 05:42 PM

I have read more bad reviews of the hydra track than positive reviews. Apparently once the oil overheats they turn into an open centre.

This site explains how the different types of diff centres work.
http://auto.howstuff...ifferential.htm

#11 _the gts_

_the gts_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 05:49 PM

I am pretty happy with my diff, its only done 40,000k's though so still early days

#12 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 06:44 PM

If you are after traction a hydratrack is a poor idea - the worst thing you can do to try and get traction is to let 1 wheel lose grip before trying to bring the other wheel into play - it is already to late to ever get back the optimum traction unless you lift off the go pedal.

The reason car manufacturers use these is because they are maintenance free.
Clutch LSD's do a better job but are a wearing item which you can kill pretty quickly if you drive them too hard and have really grippy tires.

With a car like a commodore where they don't suffer anything like the weight transfer issues on the rear end they will work fine as you have similar weight over both rear wheels. With a weight transferring bastard like a Torana, they will be shit and will act much more like an open centre.

You can get hydratracks for 9" too if you want but I wouldn't ever bother to use one.

M@

#13 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:26 PM

Thanks ls2lxhatch for that link, very handy to have.

Thanks M@ for killing that idea, but I appreciate your valuable knowledge. Speaking of which, I just dug up the May 05 SM mag, wicked car you got, its awesome!

The reason why i was asking about Hydra Trac is because I want a diff that isn't a F..d 9". Purly for the reason I'm stubborn and there will be no parts from that manufacturer in my car!

The normal LSD BW is the go then. Cheers guys

#14 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:38 PM

BW standard fitment to fraud since 1970's

#15 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:42 PM

BW standard fitment to fraud since 1970's

Sorry ALX76, I didn't understand what you meant by that? :huh:

#16 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:51 PM

Ford was using BW a good 10 years before holden did.

#17 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:43 PM

Ok, I getcha now, I've never heard of them referred that way :D
But BW is just BW, an independant company that produces trans and diffs for anyone who wants to use them and isn't owned by any manufacturer, right?

#18 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:32 AM

Ford was using BW a good 10 years before holden did.

Hi Guys.

Ford have been using Borg Warner diffs since the 1966 release of the XR Falcon. That's about 18 years before Holden.

Dr Terry

#19 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:24 AM

The reason why i was asking about Hydra Trac is because I want a diff that isn't a F..d 9". Purely for the reason I'm stubborn and there will be no parts from that manufacturer in my car!

You can build a 9" without using any parts from Ford if you want. The 9" LSD design is superior to the BW LSD design.

It all depends on your budget and application.

#20 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:01 PM

But thats using custom housings isn't? Like the one that McDonalds brothers build? That would cost a fair bit. How much is a 9" set up these days, 2-4 Grand?

#21 Gump

Gump

Paisty White

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Name:Russell
  • Car:LX SL hatch

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:07 PM

i got a quote for a 9" for my hj they wanted $3200 31 spline axles everything new bar the housing.

gump

#22 _the gts_

_the gts_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:16 PM

Brewster

Its not about Ford/Holden. its about building a tough torana and if that means using parts from other manufacturers throw them in.

#23 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:47 PM

Brewster

Its not about Ford/Holden. its about building a tough torana and if that means using parts from other manufacturers throw them in.

Hi GTS, what you say is true and I totally agree, however, if you look through the earlier posts...I'll admit that I'm stubborn! :D
And I have quite a few mates that are F..d biased, so I don't want to cop that flack from having a great car but having to rely on those sort of parts to build it tough.
I will cross that bridge when the time comes, after all, no point putting in a diff that isn't going to handle the ponies.

Hi Gump, thanks for that, I didn't realise it was that expensive, what did you end up using for a housing?

#24 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:01 PM

John Taverna Chassis
9� Housing with used 31 spline axles suit commodore discs $1150

3.55 LSD new gears $1350
3.55 Detroit Locker $1700

Final Drive Diff Conversions
9" housing with new 31 spline Moser axles $1400.
4" tailshaft with uni's and yoke $400

#25 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:04 PM

Oh Man!! :cry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users