Info on car in these pics...

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 _Rana Girl_

_Rana Girl_
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:41 PM

Saw these pics in a thread here the other day and this car has got me intrigued because of the similarity in the paint to mine. So far all I've managed to find out is that the pics were taken at Bathurst in 2004. Can anyone else please tell me anything about this car???

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 _Dan355_

_Dan355_
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:52 PM

Heres another one for Rana Girl, but i dont anything about it.

Posted Image

#3 wingnut

wingnut

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:01 PM

Hi

I think the yellow/blue/red car is the L34 sponsored by Garry & Warren Smith Motors Oakleigh Vic. which was placed 10th outright at Bathurst in 1975.
Driven by John Pollard and Brian Thomson.
I have no idea of subsequent history or current ownership.
The Group C Touring Car Assoc. should be able to elaborate.

JR.

#4 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:39 AM

Info I have was 9th outright, 6th in class and wore the No.11? If it is the same car as mentioned above?

#5 _Rana Girl_

_Rana Girl_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:22 PM

THANKS FOLKS!!!! I'm still blown away by how close the colours/base layout of scheme are to mine (ignoring the red of course). Would love to know how they decided on the paint on this beastie!! Off to goggle search the Group C touring car assoc. meantioned above see if that has any leads. Thanks again for the help thus far.

Edited by Rana Girl, 31 July 2007 - 12:23 PM.

#6 _73lj202_

_73lj202_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:27 PM

http://www.groupc.org.au/

#7 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,309 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:50 PM

Were thoose photos taken in TORANA THE GREAT or was that 2005?

#8 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:00 PM

I thought that was the MaCrae car in the museum pics.

McCrae Brothers from Tassie rings a bell. They had a red/blue/Yellow L34

I'll stick my head in some books

Meanwhile, ask RED

Welby

#9 _Rana Girl_

_Rana Girl_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:43 PM

Geeze Welby if what your saying is right and this car is from Tassie that is going to be too unreal - The fact that I had accidently sort of copied a race car backed up by it being a car from my own state. I thought I was all unique and now it seems I'm not after all (showing my age - or lack of - here because I wasn't acctually around back when these beasts would have been publicised). Even if the one your talking about isn't the one in the pic if there was something similar in Tassie I'd be interested in that too. And yep I'll PM Red too I should have thought about asking the bible first I guess.

The Garry & Warren Smith Motors sponsership that wingnut mentioned seemes to match the bit of writting you can see on the car. Might even try google searching them to and see if that turns anything up.

I have sent an email to the group c assoc. to see if they have any light to shed.

Must say I'm glad that I didn't do the red back end but I'd still love to know how there paint colours and design originated.

#10 wingnut

wingnut

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:30 PM

Hi folks

I did a bit of research in my old Bathurst programs and Aust. Competition Year Books before making my previous post.

As Welby mentioned the 1974 Bathurst entry of Rod & Russ McRae ( actually from Victoria ) was in similar yellow/red/blue livery and sponsored by Dustings of Burwood Vic.
On his 147 th. lap Rod McRae had a monumental prang on Conrod straight after aquaplaining off the track - hit a tree 4 metres above the ground and bent the car like a banana. There is an article about the incident and a pic. of the wreck on P. 15 of the 1975 H Ferodo 1000 program. It says the right hand sill was wedged against the drive shaft in the middle of the car. Only salvagable components from that car were the engine and gearbox which were used again in their 1975 entry - Dustings sponored again but in blue/white/red livery.

According to my research the 1975 yellow/red/blue L34 ? was the Garry & Warren Smith entry driven by Pollard & Thomson - the remnants of the 1974 McRae car was probably at the local tip at that stage.

I suggest that the yellow/red/blue car pictured on the transporter is the 1975 Pollard/Thomson car or possibly a replica of it.

Cheers JR.

:D

#11 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,998 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:52 PM

My info came from this link and I cross referenced it to a book I have about the great race.
I'm not up for an argument at all, just trying to help with Rana's research.

http://www.uniquecar...thurst_1975.htm

#12 wingnut

wingnut

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:40 PM

Hi Rodomo

I think we are all trying to help Rana Girl and no argument intended from this end.
I agree the Pollard car was No 11 in the 1975 race.
I looked at the UniqueCars link and compared the race results it lists with those in my copy of Aust. Comp. Yearbook. There's a variation - my book shows the Brown/Gillard RX3 in o/r 8th. place followed by Coppins/Richards and Pollard / Thomson. The Unique Cars/Parts summary shows Brown/Gillard as DNF at bottom of the list - must have been excluded later with about 3 other entrants according to the list of finishers ??
I shouldn't get absorbed in such trivia !!
:rolleyes:

Cheers JR.

#13 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2007 - 01:28 AM

Hi folks

I did a bit of research in my old Bathurst programs and Aust. Competition Year Books before making my previous post.

As Welby mentioned the 1974 Bathurst entry of Rod & Russ McRae ( actually from Victoria ) was in similar yellow/red/blue livery and sponsored by Dustings of Burwood Vic.
On his 147 th. lap Rod McRae had a monumental prang on Conrod straight after aquaplaining off the track - hit a tree 4 metres above the ground and bent the car like a banana. There is an article about the incident and a pic. of the wreck on P. 15 of the 1975 H Ferodo 1000 program. It says the right hand sill was wedged against the drive shaft in the middle of the car. Only salvagable components from that car were the engine and gearbox which were used again in their 1975 entry - Dustings sponored again but in blue/white/red livery.

According to my research the 1975 yellow/red/blue L34 ? was the Garry & Warren Smith entry driven by Pollard & Thomson - the remnants of the 1974 McRae car was probably at the local tip at that stage.

I suggest that the yellow/red/blue car pictured on the transporter is the 1975 Pollard/Thomson car or possibly a replica of it.

Cheers JR.

:D

How freaky is it.
I've just fiished reading a chapter in a book today about the 74 race and a section on that crash was mentioned. It was mentioned that that car did end up at the tip and next years was a new one. Just stated to read about the 75 race but never got to finish. Have to work to pay the bills.

#14 _Rana Girl_

_Rana Girl_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:42 AM

Well I have tried PMing Red half a dozen times last night and again this morning and for some reason ever time I try to send the message my computer freezes so REDA9X if you bump into this thread any info????

Haven't heard back from the Group C assoc. yet but when/if I do I'll post their response here for everyone that has been trying to help to read.

All help appreciated so far. I am guessing like most race cars the paint scheme will some down to something to do with sponsership. Thanks again folks.

#15 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:36 PM

The car ran in the Bathurst 1974 race and is an L34. There is footage of it on the SL/R 5000 video spearing off the track and into a timber post on a locked gate. Can't quite make out which part of the track it is on. :(

The same vid is probably on the 1974 compilation of the Bathurst race.

#16 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 04:58 PM

DNF Rod McRae / Russ McRae Torana L34 D DNF not available

#17 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:02 PM

1975 Results

DNF Rod McRae / Russ McRae Torana L34 D DNF not available

At least they have consistent results.

#18 _Rana Girl_

_Rana Girl_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:06 PM

Thanks YellA, I hope the DNF were not some sort of curse from the paint job.

Haven't heard anything from the email I sent Group C and haven't had a lot of time to get online of late (sick rug rat) but will do some hunting when I get a chance.

#19 _paulb_

_paulb_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:31 PM

Hi all, i don't get on here much and only found this site looking for an old car ,the torana in the pics is the garry and warren smith vehical,its an L34,originally chrome yellow,i owned it in the early 90's and was painted white at the time,it had the original engine gearbox but had a 9" fitted,the vehical was involved in a crash at sandown where it was barrel rolled at the end of the strait then rebuilt with a new shell,thats where the numbers changed,it ran 11 , 22 and a third one from memory,i do have some scanned photos of it different builds that i can dig out at some time,i sold it to a guy by the name of Brian that lived at Cockatoo in victoria,have tried to find him but now living in qld makes it a bit hard,he was heavley into lc/lj toranas and had quite a collection sitting in his yard,if anyone knows him i would like to get in contact with him,
paul

#20 crabba67

crabba67

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Name:anthony

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:25 PM

Hi all, i don't get on here much and only found this site looking for an old car ,the torana in the pics is the garry and warren smith vehical,its an L34,originally chrome yellow,i owned it in the early 90's and was painted white at the time,it had the original engine gearbox but had a 9" fitted,the vehical was involved in a crash at sandown where it was barrel rolled at the end of the strait then rebuilt with a new shell,thats where the numbers changed,it ran 11 , 22 and a third one from memory,i do have some scanned photos of it different builds that i can dig out at some time,i sold it to a guy by the name of Brian that lived at Cockatoo in victoria,have tried to find him but now living in qld makes it a bit hard,he was heavley into lc/lj toranas and had quite a collection sitting in his yard,if anyone knows him i would like to get in contact with him,
paul

Hi paul brian jose cheers anthony

#21 _paulb_

_paulb_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

[u]thanks,wouldn't have any contact info by any chance?

Edited by paulb, 19 June 2012 - 07:44 PM.

#22 Swarbs

Swarbs

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:LX 5000

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:33 PM

The car ran in the Bathurst 1974 race and is an L34. There is footage of it on the SL/R 5000 video spearing off the track and into a timber post on a locked gate. Can't quite make out which part of the track it is on. :(

The same vid is probably on the 1974 compilation of the Bathurst race.

Hi Yella
Quick sqizz and presume this would be the one

The McRae car appears breifly at the 7 minute mark

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=73j0jdg-ayQ

Edited by Swarbs, 26 June 2012 - 03:47 PM.

#23 _Steve22_

_Steve22_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:46 PM

Hi there guys, thanks for that insight Paul, the numbers stopped at 22, as the car is still the prized possession of my family, and 22 being my fathers original race number, also the number he entered the Group C with. I dont remover a whole lot detail-wise about the build, but I do remember as a kid picking the car up from somewhere in the 'mountians' (cockatoo) with my old man when I was younger, we went on to rebuild it to group c specs and then race the car for a few years, we took it on a tassie tour with the group c with a few other cars, another torana, the #10 car pictures above, now owned by the Johnson family in tassie. If anyone is after any more information or pics feel free to ask. The ones on the truck we're taken of the cars on their trip to Bathurst, as mentioned above in 2004, and are actually photos my old man emailed to group c.

#24 Torananut

Torananut

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:L34 x 2, hatch x 4, UC sedan x 2, LC XU1
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:14 PM

Hi Steve, the number 10 car on the truck which is the Kel Gough car I thought was still owned by Yatesy in Melbourne?
Has he sold it recently?

#25 _Steve22_

_Steve22_
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

Sorry torananut you could be right there haha, just had a look back through some photos and the car I was thinking of was also black but not quite the same, sorry!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users