Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:31 PM

Well I have recently made a decision. Due to my HQ Tonner running consistant 11.0 quarters I was getting regularly harassed by ANDRA stewards to "cage up" before the car ran a ten. At the same time my family were on to me about only being able to take one other member for a ride at a time. I thought the best way to kill two birds with the one stone was to install my running gear into a heavier vehicle, with a couple of extra seats. Anyway I unloaded the tonner quick smart (less engine and box) and looked around for a suitable replacement.

A bloke at work said his old neighbour had a Statesman that he may be able to be convinced to part with. In a flash I was round there checking it out. Turns out this guy is the second owner of this immaculate HQ Statesman Deville. I couldn't leave it there (had been garaged and undriven for the last 5/6 years due to owners poor health) so prised it off him and took it home. My dilemma is I have had a good look at it and it must be the best example of its model I have ever seen. The interior looks like it has never been used, extremely minor parking dents and 2 or 3 stone chips on a totally standard unrepaired rust free body. the whole car is totally standard (except for exhaust which fell off as I drove away). I am having second thoughts about yanking the 308/tri and fitting my 377 and glide, it really is a perfect car.

The way I see it is....
1. leave it as is and drive it,
2. Chev it and rev it or
3. sell it off and use the money to resto Hernes old UC hatch (which I have taken off him !!) and Chev it.

Help me out here !!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Here is a pic of the vehicle in question with its proud previous owner...

Posted Image

#2 _willo_

_willo_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:38 PM

righto struggler heres what i reckon....put ya runnin gear in the stato and drag it and give me allan's hatch and ill put my cage and runnin gear in it and run it at the speedway!!!!

#3 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:04 PM

What Allans UC doesn't have enough dents ??

Willo you may have seen this old boat before, I picked it up not 300m from your place.

#4 _why-psi_

_why-psi_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:06 PM

that statesman looks too good to cut up

#5 _MYLJ_

_MYLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:10 PM

3. sell it and find something else to put your running gear in.............. ;)

#6 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:15 PM

Struggler.

Make the HQ Stato a schmick looking family car!
Cage up the UC hatch and drag it, sure thing with your running gear its going to beat 11's, lets see what you can really do when you try ;) If you do this I will get some benefit from seeing the car in drag trim anyway and that was going to be my plan.

Well thats my two bobs worth.

I know you will come up with the right solution so all the best no matter what you do.

Edit: BTW thats a good looking HQ no doubt about it.

Cheers
Alan

Edited by Herne, 04 August 2007 - 10:16 PM.

#7 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:16 PM

Hmmm - I kinda like to see stocky examples like that stay as GM intended them. Will the funds extend to keeping this as a stocker, and getting hold of a WB Caprice to slot the running gear in?

Ever since driving a few WB Caprices for an unmentioned rental agency, I've been impressed by whow well they ride, but also how well they get up and boogie for what looks to be a huge beastie. Bloody comfortable too. Both would be big enough and comfortable enough to load the family in.

#8 _willo_

_willo_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:18 PM

Struggler.

Make the HQ Stato a schmick looking family car!
Cage up the UC hatch and drag it, sure thing with your running gear its going to beat 11's, lets see what you can really do when you try ;) If you do this I will get some benefit from seeing the car in drag trim anyway and that was going to be my plan.

Well thats my two bobs worth.

I know you will come up with the right solution so all the best no matter what you do.

Cheers
Alan

yeah gotta say i agree that statesman looks too good to fcuk with and it will be worth a bit later on there aint too many left that havent been modded these days....

#9 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:21 PM

Clean up the stato as the family/tow car, get a trailer and cage up the UC

#10 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:25 PM

I am inclined to agree, every time I look at it I shudder thinking of ventilating the bonnet for an aircleaner, spraying rubber up the guards etc.

Using the UC would result in 10's and a cage, but I would still fit the kids in !!!

Worth a bit later on ??? I looked around and they're worth a bit now. It will only devalue as soon as I rip into it.

#11 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:29 PM

Clean up the stato as the family/tow car, get a trailer and cage up the UC

I already have a F350 to cart the racers around, so no need for a tow rig.

Honestly I feel as if I'm devalueing the Statesman just sitting in it, there is no way it could be a daily driver, maybe a sunny weekender. It only has 80K on it and has been garaged all its life. I get nervous when the kids walk past it !!

#12 _willo_

_willo_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:32 PM

Worth a bit later on ??? I looked around and they're worth a bit now. It will only devalue as soon as I rip into it.

yep....so DON'T FCUK WITH IT!!!!

#13 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:33 PM

oh well i do have to say i have cut up more than my fair shair of stato's in recent years, from hj,hx and wb...yes wb..cut up, roof off, cut the back off, its all good fun

But i need to say i wish i have the room to keep them all as they are awsome cars, what ever you do with it, please dont cut it up !!! there isnt many left now ! no thanks to me..

they are good old car, i think the stato screamin down the quarter would be awsome !!

#14 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:43 PM

got enough space, keep it for a weekender.

#15 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,102 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:35 AM

save the stato please drag the uc.

#16 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:54 AM

It only has 80K on it and has been garaged all its life. I get nervous when the kids walk past it !!

I havent got any kids, sell it to me so it doesnt get scratched ... and it will be garaged.

#17 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:25 AM

PM me your best offer !

#18 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:13 PM

Any more pics ?

#19 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:23 PM

I would leave that mint looking Statesman as it. Use something else for the drag car. :spoton:

Steve

#20 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:49 PM

bubble wrap and put it in the shed lol..

Examples like this are extremely rare. And it's not like you can buy these off the shelf anymore!

#21 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:42 PM

thats a tricky one, i like the std look but a tough stato would be good too. you dont see many statos done tuff looking. they do up so well. something a little different to the norm. :spoton:

#22 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 05 August 2007 - 07:28 PM

:spoton: that stato looks so awsome
I hope to chuck in a LS1 in my olds WB Stato one day

#23 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:44 PM

......a tough stato would be good too. you dont see many statos done tuff looking. they do up so well. something a little different to the norm. :spoton:

This is why I'm still half thinking of going ahead. You will never find a more perfect project start and I like the challenge of getting a big rig going well.

Has anyone that frequents the Easternats seen the blue HQ Statesman "MNTLHQ" ?

Posted Image

Posted Image

That is a cool looking ride !!!!

#24 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:01 PM

the better the car is you start with, the better the end result. plus you dont have to go looking for parts good panels ect. and no welding up rust and bugger all bog work too. i know what id be doing. hmmm tuff stato ;)

#25 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:16 PM

leave it stock looking, even with white walls and chuk in a killer V8

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users