My crossmember rebuild

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:29 AM

I'm in the process of rebuilding my crossmember. Here are my plans so far.

It's a complete UC crossmemeber and I'm going to stick with the torana stub axels for now and just go with the Hoppers kit in HQ stud pattern. I'm going to re-drill the upper control arm mounts and inch lower as per the A9Xs and remove the steering bush.

So far, I've pulled everything apart and the sub frame is in bare metal which I'll paint this arvo. I've redrilled the upper control arm mounts and ground off the mount for the steering nuckle shroud.

I'd like to double check a few things. Keeping in mind that I am looking for performance, not comfort, economy or even legallity.

- bushes. From all that I've read over the years on here i've gathered that the best setup is to run Urithane lowers and rubber uppers?

- Steering rack. Is the UC rack a good (low) ratio? UCs have noticably lighter steering than LH/LXs. I assumed that it was from different geometry but it just dawned on me that maybe they have a higher gearing to make the wheel lighter. Its that the case or do they all run the same ratio?

- ball joints. Is there any quality issue? eg, go for a specific brand

Is there anything else that I need to think of?

#2 _355lxss_

_355lxss_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 11:20 AM

hey QIKSLR ive just had my uc front end rebuilt. After a fair bit of discussion with various suspension peolpe i have gone exactly with what youve said, rubber on the upper control arms and unrathane (super pro) on the lower, outrigger, chassis mounts and bumpstops. A lot of people told me to stay clear of nothalane as they only make one grade of bush and are too hard whereas Super pro make three grades of bushes. I think mine were 70 something?

Ive stuck to the current steering rack which i think is a uc one? ball joint are standard items, didnt think there would be a quality problem, well i hope not anyway!

Just a quick question QUIKSLR, why would you redrill the upper control mount an inch lower? better handling? wouldnt that change your steering geometry?

regards eddie

#3 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:00 PM

G'day guys,

I have wanted to get a few people to check something for me on their Torana front subframes - should be useful info to all as well.

I have heard these front subframes were prone to bending. Just wondering what measurement your front subframes are across the top mounting holes (centre to centre) where the subframe bolts to the chassis.

I have 2 UC front subframes here - a really good original undamaged one from a 4 cylinder sunbird (proppa holden6/V8 mounts though) which measures 794mm across the top and the other one has had a couple of dings in it's life and measures 790mm across the top mounting holes.

Regarding some of your Q's below,

Not sure what others think the best balljoints quality-wise are but I am using the repco sealed type as they allow a better wheel clearnce if you are going big buggers and you don;t have to remember to grease them.

What wheels are you going? as I would potentially run a different stub if going wide offset.

With the control arm bushes, any reason you want the rubber uppers? it is to stop the squeak fromt the polyurethane? If it is, I believe both the upper and lower control arm bushes will squeak with poyurethane now tha I have sus'd out the front end a bit more recently. The upper bushes will squeak if poly as they are sliding on the metal components, the lower bushes squeak as the bushes bind similarly to the rear end bushes (but to a lesser amount).

I believe the LH, LX and UC all used the same steering rack ratio with the exception the fast racks in the A9X's.

M@

Edited by Toranamat69, 29 January 2006 - 12:04 PM.

#4 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 02:41 PM

#1 I have heard these front subframes were prone to bending. Just wondering what measurement your front subframes are across the top mounting holes (centre to centre) where the subframe bolts to the chassis.

I have 2 UC front subframes here - a really good original undamaged one from a 4 cylinder sunbird (proppa holden6/V8 mounts though) which measures 794mm across the top and the other one has had a couple of dings in it's life and measures 790mm across the top mounting holes.

#2 Not sure what others think the best balljoints quality-wise are but I am using the repco sealed type as they allow a better wheel clearnce if you are going big buggers and you don;t have to remember to grease them.

#1 I'll measure mine later on today. Should be intersting to compare the findings.

#2 My personal prefference is TRW brand items, whether it's ball joints or tie rod ends etc. Can you post a pic of the Repco ball joint, just for comparison purposes?

#5 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 04:17 PM

I just measured the LH front end that I'm going to put in the drag car.

Front holes: 794 MM
Rear holes: 792 MM

#6 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 04:34 PM

I only measured the front holes originally so I just went and double checked - I agree with your figures above on the good front end (i.e. the 794F/792R)

The other one I have is 790F/789R hole spacing. This one is going to be my workshop jig front end so I can try out things when people ask me so I will have to get it straightened back out to the correct hole spacing.

M@

#7 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 05:02 PM

I see you're now officially an officer of the forum. Do you hand out tickets or just warnings?

#8 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 06:13 PM

I just give warnings usually, but any naughty women - they can go straight to my room :)

I just said my car was the R&D machine one day at a show and voila it turned up on the forum - I has spurred me along to get into things though that is for sure - especially with the steering and front end project.

M@

#9 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:37 PM

hey QIKSLR ive just had my uc front end rebuilt. After a fair bit of discussion with various suspension peolpe i have gone exactly with what youve said, rubber on the upper control arms and unrathane (super pro) on the lower, outrigger, chassis mounts and bumpstops. A lot of people told me to stay clear of nothalane as they only make one grade of bush and are too hard whereas Super pro make three grades of bushes. I think mine were 70 something?

Ive stuck to the current steering rack which i think is a uc one? ball joint are standard items, didnt think there would be a quality problem, well i hope not anyway!

Just a quick question QUIKSLR, why would you redrill the upper control mount an inch lower? better handling? wouldnt that change your steering geometry?

regards eddie

Aparently on the A9Xs (which ran UC front ends) their crossmembers had a second set of upper control arm mounting holes ~1" lower which is what the race guys used. It adds more negative camber and lowers the roll center. I've never heard a bad report about it. Aparently it makes a huge difference, but its just a bit harder on the inside of the tyres. My only concern is that my holes are accurate.. I spent ages measuring and checking etc. But I don't have any fancy tools and stuff. If they are out, they wouldn't be out by much, but I don't know how significate a millimeter or two would be.

Awsome to hear that your running the same setup. You haven't driven on it yet have u? I've been told to stay away from the actual Nolothane brand by the guy who did my bushes in the diff. I got some more expensive urithane bushes (I think they're superpro). So I'll go back to the same guy and try and get the same bushes for the lowers.

Mat, from what I heard, they say that having urithane uppers some how ristricts movement. I remember reading (here) about some guy putting them in an LJ racecar and then pulling them straight back out because it handled worse. I'm not sure on the technical reason behind it, but I recall hearing about the rubber/urithane combo on here quite a number of times over the years and figured I should take the advise. I've heard alot of people slandering the urithane bushes saying to stay totally away from it. It would be interesting to hear from anyone with any expirience with this setup whos driven on it.

I will measure the crossmember when I go out to put the next coat on the crossmember.

What's the issue with torana stubs and wide rims mat? I currently have 15x8" Simmons V5s with 225s (on the front). The tyres are shot, I'd planned to replace them with 245s and see how they sit in relation to the flares. I was running 245s on the front back when I had 14s and lots of neg camber and it felt great. Obviously now I've got a different front end and wheels so I hope it get it back to how it was. I'd also like to try and maintain the same ratio with the track. The torries came out with wider front track than rear and my rears fill the flares and the fronts dont come close so I imagine that would be bad news in the understeer dept. I will probably get wider outers on the front rims.

I'm very interested in the non-greasable ball joints.

Thanks for your input guys, your opinions and ideas are much apreciated.

PS: I'll post my progress pics up tomorrow

Edited by QIKSLR, 29 January 2006 - 07:42 PM.

#10 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:12 PM

Non greasable ball joints etc. have been aropund for 12 years. Where have you been?

#11 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 11:31 PM

Here is a pic of the upper balljoint in my LX - these are the Repco upper type. They make a similar sealed lower balljoint but they look identical to any other holden lower balljoint, just no grease nipple.

These upper ones are shorter in that they don't have the 1/2" tall top hat on them.

Mine have done approx 28,000k's and feel fine still. These are the only ones I have tried so I don't know how long others last and the pros and cons of the other brands.

Posted Image

I havn't done a back to back trial of rubber front bushes vs Polyurethane, I like the positive feel of the bushes, but I can't stand the squeaking suspension you get with polyurethane and would like to shut it up.

I have been checking out the original rubber bushes and the poly ones here deciding what to use for my test setup. Both the rubber and poly types will provide resistance to suspension movement as they are bonded to the metal sleeve so I am looking for a fully floating type arrangement. I have just ordered some poly-graphite upper ones for a Chevelle which should get here in a week or so and hopefully they will fit.
I already have the polygraphite lower bushes here. They differ from our local polyurethane ones in 3 ways I can see.
1. they have the graphite impregnated so should have some self lubing properties and hopefully not squeak.
2. they are a free floating bushing i.e. you can remove the bushes from their sleeves and they can pivot inside their sleeves.
3. they have some extra pieces to try to stop the bushes popping back out of the control arm as I have heard of happen to some people.

M@

#12 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:17 AM

Chop, 12 years ago I was 9 <_<

I'm very interested in those graphite bushes mat, let us know how they go!

Heres a couple of pics:
Posted Image
(Bare metal with the steering nuckle shroud mount removed and the upper control arms mounted in their new position.)

Posted Image

Edited by QIKSLR, 30 January 2006 - 11:20 AM.

#13 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for the pic of the ball joints Matt.

#14 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:09 PM

That pic is with the wheels at full right lock so I could get the camera in there - my rims actually sit directly over the top of the balljoint.

#15 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:10 PM

That's cool, at least I can see how much more clearance they offer.

#16 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:06 PM

I measured the crossmember holes today and mine also came up 794F/792R. phew, I'd hate to find out that its stuffed now that I've just finished painting it.

#17 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 07:53 PM

I'd like to know what the GMH blueprint was. Having three crossmembers with the same measuremnts doesn't mean they are factory spot on. They all just may have the same amount of sag!

#18 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:59 PM

If you lower the upper arm mounting points but continue to use the Torana stub how will that affect the geometry
As the A9X used essentially HX 1 ton arms with a different KPI to the torana stubs
What steering arms will you be using ?

I want to know as I have my Xmember out now to fit the Chev so was wondering

On the outer tierod end which way does the joint go in?
Nut up or down?
Mines down........ and I assume they are UC steering arms to match the rest of the UC front

#19 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:11 PM

I'd like to know what the GMH blueprint was. Having three crossmembers with the same measuremnts doesn't mean they are factory spot on. They all just may have the same amount of sag!

True, but if the number was lower I'd be pissed. Atleast we have a benchmark.

#20 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 07:34 AM

If you lower the upper arm mounting points but continue to use the Torana stub how will that affect the geometry
As the A9X used essentially HX 1 ton arms with a different KPI to the torana stubs
What steering arms will you be using ?

I want to know as I have my Xmember out now to fit the Chev so was wondering

On the outer tierod end which way does the joint go in?
Nut up or down?
Mines down........ and I assume they are UC steering arms to match the rest of the UC front

This is interesting..

I thought that when you ran HQ stubs with the "A9X" steering arms it brought the KPI back to the original torana spec?

I had planed to go with the torana stubs and Hoppers kit (in hq stud pattern) as an easy option just to save on drama. Since I've only got 15s, I can't go anything too fancy anyway. But hoppers make an HQ kit, so I could go with that if I needed to run HQ stubs.

So first of all I guess, does anyone know if the A9Xs KPI differed from the UC?

I ordered my bushes for my k-mac adjustable sway bars yesterday. Woohoo, I can fit them up soon. The guys at kmac are very helpful.

Edited by QIKSLR, 02 February 2006 - 07:41 AM.

#21 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:54 AM

But hoppers make an HQ kit, so I could go with that if I needed to run HQ stubs.

By HQ kit they mean same diameter discs as a HQ takes.

Always get the Torana kit (Ford sized smaller discs give you the right clearance) and get them to fabricate the disc in any stud pattern you desire.

I have gone for a Commodore stud pattern rear so will do the same for the front due to the wide variety of wheel choice there is.

Why are you going HQ pattern anyway, do you have a Salisbury rear end with HQ pattern or some HQ mags ready to go on?

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 02 February 2006 - 08:54 AM.

#22 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 11:32 AM

But hoppers make an HQ kit, so I could go with that if I needed to run HQ stubs.

By HQ kit they mean same diameter discs as a HQ takes.

Always get the Torana kit (Ford sized smaller discs give you the right clearance) and get them to fabricate the disc in any stud pattern you desire.

I have gone for a Commodore stud pattern rear so will do the same for the front due to the wide variety of wheel choice there is.

Why are you going HQ pattern anyway, do you have a Salisbury rear end with HQ pattern or some HQ mags ready to go on?

s

I'd planned on HQ pattern many years back. My rear end is a ford 9" running HQ pattern axels with commodore disc brakes. My wheels are HQ pattern and rear is custom offset to suit the length off the diff ect. The fron't will definatly be in HQ stud pattern reguardless of anything, but how I acheive it is a different story.

I can either run Torana stub axels and get the hoppers kit torana kit but get the stud pattern in HQ stud pattern. - That was the original plan.

But however if it works out that I'm better off using HQ stub axels (from a suspension setup point of view) then I can't use the "torana" kit because the brackets and stuff are to suit torana stub axels, not HQ.

Thats why I said if I go with the HQ stubs, I'll have to use the HQ kit. When they talk about clearance are they talking about clearing the upper control arm? If the extra 10mm is an issue then I'm sure its possible for them to do a hybrid kit. Eg a 290mm torana kit but with an HQ stub axel bracket instead of a torana one. (assuming the hub is the same in both)

#23 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:29 PM

QIKSLR,

The KPI is built into the design of the stub axle itself and can only be changed via a stub axle change.

When you put the A9X steering arms on the HQ stubs, it improves the bumpsteer issues only.
You can compensate for the different static camber you get between a 9 degree and 7 degree stub axle by getting a wheel alignment.

At the moment, I view the 7 degree KPI to be the better choice from a handling point of view as you don't lose as much camber on turns but the difference is pretty small.

The other differnence I see is that you will end up with a smaller scrub radius if you are using the 7 degree KPI which will make your steering lighter and give less steering feedback (of the type you do not want) Basically you can run a wider offset rim whilst maintaining the same scrub radius if you use the HQ stub axles.

This is why I asked what wheels and tires you had planned as I can do a scketch for you when I re-install autocad on my PC.

The wheel offset, width and diameter will also have a bearing on your scrub radius.
If you can give me those details.

I ordered a Castor and camber gauge and Toe-in gauges last night from summit racing so they should also be here in a week or so with my new bushes - then the physical measurent phase can begin. It will be good to have some good tabluated data on all the different combo's of stubs and control arms etc which is what I plan to do.

The reason the Hoppers guy makes the statement his kits maintain the correct Torana geometry is that it allows you to re-use all the torana stub and steering arm which everyone already has and saves the Harrop steering arm expense and in reality the difference is very small - probably not worth the $$ difference - especially if running normal offset rims.
The Hoppers kit maintains the Torana's original steering & suspension geometry but
I think it would be a bold statement to say the Correct Geometry.

M@

Edited by Toranamat69, 02 February 2006 - 01:30 PM.

#24 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:39 PM

I'm in the process of rebuilding my crossmember.

Where are you located QIKSLR?

Please put your location in your signature.

When I get a move on with my Xmember it will be good to know of places in Sydney that do the work required.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 02 February 2006 - 01:40 PM.

#25 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 07:38 PM

Marty I hope you dont plan on running those 15" simmons with the hoppers kit?

For simmons to clear Hoppers you need a 17" simmon as a minimum, a welded 2 piece 15" rim like a standard commodore rim clears but if you want simmons and hoppers kit you need 17's minimum.eg simmons 15 and 16" use the same centres the bolts hit the calipers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users