- - - - -

My GTR Torana

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#201 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:24 PM

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ON BOTH CAR'S PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

#202 _2runa_

_2runa_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:09 AM

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ON BOTH CAR'S PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Hi Milco

Well the XU1 has been receiving most of me attention lately and it is well under way,
i do have some pics of it progress and will post them soon but I'm not sure if i should start a new thread or keep it in this thread.
The hold up with the XU1 is the rear beaver/tail light panel, the one i bought was a little average when l cleaned the paint off i found that it had been bogged so I've been
looking for a nos or a mint 2nd hand panel but I'm not about to pay $5000 for a nos panel as advertised on eBay so i will wait and see what the repo's are like and if i haven't found a nos by then it maybe a repo.....maybe :dontknow: once it fitted then it's on a rotisserie :spoton:

#203 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:37 PM

2runa: Awesome effort mate this thread was a great read thanks for sharing! loved the lead wipe work too. :spoton: I wouldn't mind at all if you started another build thread for your XU1 if you felt inclined hint hint..:P

#204 _celoslj_

_celoslj_
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:19 PM

How do you fill up the spot welds, did you use a drill bit or the 3/8 size spot weld drill? I bought a spot weld 3/8 seems abit big, panel comes off real easy though, was curious on how you filled up the wholes when you joined both panels back. Thanx alot and GREAT WORK, very inspirational

#205 _2runa_

_2runa_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:30 AM

How do you fill up the spot welds, did you use a drill bit or the 3/8 size spot weld drill? I bought a spot weld 3/8 seems abit big, panel comes off real easy though, was curious on how you filled up the wholes when you joined both panels back. Thanx alot and GREAT WORK, very inspirational

Hi Celo
I have a set of Snap-on spot-weld drills as well as the conventional set available from over the counter type (Sutton/PN)....the snap-on ones snap-off if your not careful and though they are not bad i dont like how they use a centre pilot drill which drills through both panels I use a standard 7/16 drill and sharpen it to the shape of a spot-weld drill ....my answer is keep it as small as possible and to fill the spot-welds with
the mig setting the amps wire speed as low as possible and feather the weld with a small grinder

The grinding disc that i like the best for doing this is a type that has cut outs in the disc so when you grinding you can see what your doing and if you need to take of 10 thou'
you can .

#206 liswar2

liswar2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • Name:Wazza
  • Car:BMW K1200 RS , orange lc coupe

Posted 20 January 2022 - 08:57 AM

Welcome back..
Wazza

#207 2runa

2runa

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts
  • Name:Trev
  • Car:XU1 plus GTR

Posted 21 January 2022 - 12:40 AM

Something strange happened… I went from 49 to 61 overnight if you follow the posts lol

Kinda hope the Queen takes note and prepares her best wishes for my 100th birthday now because if she doesn’t do it now I might not get it.

life got busy with business and we run an overseas foundation which consumed every time space we had.

as of recent we have started to declutter and remove the noise and focus on what we enjoy.

ive had to to many projects and I know I’m not alone in this so it’s time to move forward and complete them.

the XU1 project was one where I intended to replace every external panel with new old stock and I obtained everything accept the nos bonnet and boot lid… the last ones I ever saw and missed were right back when the tsunami hit Phuket and I missed the sale being distracted by the disaster, having someone I knew that was diving at the time but survived.

seem a life time ago.

Edited by 2runa, 21 January 2022 - 12:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users