• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:51 PM

from my recollection, from the Top to the bottom:
Aircleaner: No heat riser, just straight snout, same angle
Carby:Quadrajet 17043283, with Manual choke setup
Dissy: twin point, twin coil, Bosch, modified by Repco, no vac advance
Manifold: Same casting but casting between primaries and secondaries removed, so there is just a plenum divider.
Rockers: Roller Pivot, normal Tip.
Pushrods: Thicker running through guide plates and Bronze bushes
Heads: X casting mark on the ends, larger valves, don't know anbout springs or retainers
Exhaust: HM headers ( GMH part No.) 4 into 4 rectangular flange, necked down to triangle on one side and 2 into one on the other
Pistons: Cast Slipper type, very minimal skirt
Rods: Large X cast in them, larger Rod Bolts, thicker heavier rod
Harmonic balancer: extra timing mark and retainer plates on each side
Windage tray attached to Main caps via special main cap bolts
Fuel Pump: Larger flow rate and pressure,
Sump: Baffles lengthways on the sides and flap across drop into pan area

There is probably lots of other things, to go, I always heard about special cranks and blocks but they all looked the same to me, but someone else will know more.

And the million dollar question as to why they never went so different from a stocker 308, with all these mods: 253 camshaft, look in the parts catalogue, this way for a few reasons, supercar scare, CAMS regulations allowing camchanges and the Holden favourite, warranty claims.

The trick pack to buy was the "High Output" pack from Nasco, I was told It cost nearly $1000 in 1975 from the guy who fitted the kit to mine. The kit consisted of a Harrison Oil Cooler, sourced from the US, same as fitted to "Super Duty" full size chevs, 780 Vac secondary Holley 3310 style, same as the GTHO's, mine even had a DOZF part number, Crane Solid Camshaft, Aluminium roller rockers, alloy induction trumpet (never saw that). It was dear, but certainly livened the old things up, or at least until the Axles, Limo or Gearbox broke.

I hope this helps
Tony

#3 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:51 PM

What where the differences between a stock V8 to a L34 V8
We are getting L34 type heads $1320 Pr and Crow Cam 194-202@50 420thou lift
is this a Ok combo

that wont make much power that cam is almost stock, it will just go a little better than standard. the L34 combo is lame by todays standards. just talk to any good performance place they will put you in the right direction.

#4 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2007 - 11:30 AM

He's been talking to me, but the old man didn't listen to the advice ;)

I recommended the 5666 for a mild streeter, and stick with std valve sizes, just clean the ports up.

#5 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:21 PM

He's been talking to me, but the old man didn't listen to the advice ;)

I recommended the 5666 for a mild streeter, and stick with std valve sizes, just clean the ports up.

ah ok kool dave. i agree the 5666 is a nice cam ive used it a few times. agree with the std valves too for that type of cam. listen to dave fellas you wont be dissapointed the 5666 is extremely drivable if thats the concern with the cam.

#6 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:23 PM

Thanks for the rep Paul! :D

:spoton:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users