V-SLR5000-P

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • Car:L34 x 2
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:10 PM

Its 1984, l'm young, had my own house, a great girlfriend and an A9X hatch. The car had a Gown Hindhaugh built 308, extractors, super T10 box and Rebel wheels. Otherwise pretty stock, but one of the fastest cars l had been in upto that time (except for a mates 350 LJ) , oh yeah, it cost me $10,000!!!
Very 80's with the roof aerial, Pioneer sound, rake and white tyre lettering, but the best Torana l'm ever likely to own :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 _timbotorrie_

_timbotorrie_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:33 PM

nice one! i think all of us got rid of a car we probably shouldnt have or wished we didnt get rid of :spoton:

#3 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:39 PM

Mate Unreal car i love it My Long term Life Goal is To own one of them least u have had 1 top stuff!

#4 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:05 PM

REGO LOOKS FAMILIAR. Do you know where it is now?

#5 _Fairdinkum_

_Fairdinkum_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:06 PM

Nice set of wheels,,,,,,,,,,,,,Best looking Holden ever made .Wonder where it is now and who owns it.
Did you end up marrying the great girlfriend??
Cheers

#6 V-SLR5000-P

V-SLR5000-P

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 September 2007 - 09:11 PM

Red, l have not seen the car since l sold it, latter 80's. l have quite recently seen the rego number on a white A9X four door in Ballarat Vic.
Fairdinkum, l did marry her.....but thats a whole other story!

#7 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:45 PM

mm very nice , do you have any history on where you got it from and where it went after you sold it ?

#8 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:06 AM

Nice car - LOVE those rims on a Torana! :spoton:

That looks like a larger bonnet hole with a folded lip - maybe that will help to track it down.

#9 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:19 AM

I dont think there is a bad looking A9X out there.
Bet you had a mad tape deck in it.

#10 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:29 AM

the top of the radiator support panel in the engine bay pic is black

Q.. are they normally ex factory as body colour .. ie should this be white ?

#11 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:05 PM

Mate, That is cool as, i agree with what everyone says! There can't possibly be an bad looking A9X Hatch! I doubt i will ever own one, but i am more than happy with an SS and an SL that can look like an A9X! Go the Torries!

Edited by MRLXSS, 11 September 2007 - 12:05 PM.

#12 LXM21

LXM21

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:23 PM

the top of the radiator support panel in the engine bay pic is black

Q.. are they normally ex factory as body colour .. ie should this be white ?

Yes, should be body colour.

#13 _Rob 5000_

_Rob 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:05 PM

Tim how much did you end up selling it for?

#14 V-SLR5000-P

V-SLR5000-P

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:47 PM

Rob, sold it for more than l paid for it; $14,000 :rockon: Thought l'd done OK.
With 20/20 hindsight l should have used that $14,000 to buy an unloved A9X or L34 Group C car.

#15 _lancersr20_

_lancersr20_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:13 PM

Well, it's been almost 10 years since the last post was made in this topic  :<_<:

I can shed quite a bit of history on my brothers old A9X Hatch .... AX-950

Torana%20A9X%20-%20Raymond%204.jpeg

Here it is returning from the panel shop. Note the "tow car"? That my car "Infatuation" before I had done a thing to it (202, auto SS).

It was prepped and painted in 2 pack at Myles (Kiwi) Johnson's Custom Cars shop in Keyborough, Victoria aprox Nov 1983.

It was in a bit of a shabby state ... probably "good cond" to most but not good enough for my brother who was maybe a bit of a perfectionist.

My brother fitted the "floor mod" and the T10 gbox - this was not "factory". It originally had an Ian Tate modified engine but I seem to remember something about it having an "imbalance/vibration".

That where Gown Hindough came into the equation and fixed/re-balanced or whatever. It had a TQ30 Sig Erson camshaft which was pretty lumpy in the day.

Blame Myles for painting the radiator panel black .... apparently incorrectly ! 

20170131_201737.jpeg

Here's the original front number plate still at my parent place attached to the rafter in the garage (along side my brothers motorbike racing numbers).

The sad part of this story is my brother "Ray". He died at Brooklyn Speedway when he crashed his motorcycle "slider" (hit the fence) and sustained "brain injuries". He was only 23yo  :fool:

The A9X was at the panel shop at the time. I had just turned 18 and had followed my brothers motorcycle journey for over 10 years, watching him rebuild his bikes and helped him at nearly all race meetings throughout Vic & NSW.

I really didn't know that much about cars at that time. So we called on Bruce Garrett (from Garry Rogers Race Team) to help with putting the car back together again. Garry Rogers was running a Hatchback Sports Sedan at the time and Ray had previously bought a set of quad Webbers off his Sports Sedan - that he had fitted to his 1st hatchback .... a Mint julep 5.0ltr auto SS. (what a fantastic car it was !!!)

The car was completed and I showed it side by side with my car at the Victorian Hot Rod show at the Exhibition Buildings in Melb. We also displayed it at the Burwood "Blind Institute show" before it was sent to Shannons Auctions. It sold for a lot less than we think it was worth .... but it "had to go" !

I'm sure I've left out lots, so please do comment if you would like to hear more.

Sorry for all these rambling . This time of my life and this car bring back lots of memory ... both great and sad  :mellow:

Edited by lancersr20, 31 January 2017 - 08:29 PM.

#16 a9x868

a9x868

maurice mead of hatchbacks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Name:facebook dave
  • Car:valencia holden torana a9x hatch ultimate improvement on the barbados L34

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:40 PM

lindsay

so sad to hear that story 

but thanks for sharing

and yes it must bring back huge memories for you

hopefully really good ones mostly!

#17 a9x868

a9x868

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:37 PM

Well, it's been almost 10 years since the last post was made in this topic  :<_<:

I can shed quite a bit of history on my brothers old A9X Hatch .... AX-950

Torana%20A9X%20-%20Raymond%204.jpeg

Here it is returning from the panel shop. Note the "tow car"? That my car "Infatuation" before I had done a thing to it (202, auto SS).

It was prepped and painted in 2 pack at Myles (Kiwi) Johnson's Custom Cars shop in Keyborough, Victoria aprox Nov 1983.

It was in a bit of a shabby state ... probably "good cond" to most but not good enough for my brother who was maybe a bit of a perfectionist.

My brother fitted the "floor mod" and the T10 gbox - this was not "factory". It originally had an Ian Tate modified engine but I seem to remember something about it having an "imbalance/vibration".

That where Gown Hindough came into the equation and fixed/re-balanced or whatever. It had a TQ30 Sig Erson camshaft which was pretty lumpy in the day.

Blame Myles for painting the radiator panel black .... apparently incorrectly ! 

20170131_201737.jpeg

Here's the original front number plate still at my parent place attached to the rafter in the garage (along side my brothers motorbike racing numbers).

The sad part of this story is my brother "Ray". He died at Brooklyn Speedway when he crashed his motorcycle "slider" (hit the fence) and sustained "brain injuries". He was only 23yo  :fool:

The A9X was at the panel shop at the time. I had just turned 18 and had followed my brothers motorcycle journey for over 10 years, watching him rebuild his bikes and helped him at nearly all race meetings throughout Vic & NSW.

I really didn't know that much about cars at that time. So we called on Bruce Garrett (from Garry Rogers Race Team) to help with putting the car back together again. Garry Rogers was running a Hatchback Sports Sedan at the time and Ray had previously bought a set of quad Webbers off his Sports Sedan - that he had fitted to his 1st hatchback .... a Mint julep 5.0ltr auto SS. (what a fantastic car it was !!!)

The car was completed and I showed it side by side with my car at the Victorian Hot Rod show at the Exhibition Buildings in Melb. We also displayed it at the Burwood "Blind Institute show" before it was sent to Shannons Auctions. It sold for a lot less than we think it was worth .... but it "had to go" !

I'm sure I've left out lots, so please do comment if you would like to hear more.

Sorry for all these rambling . This time of my life and this car bring back lots of memory ... both great and sad  :mellow:

please do share more of the history

#18 a9x868

a9x868

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:41 PM

Its 1984, l'm young, had my own house, a great girlfriend and an A9X hatch. The car had a Gown Hindhaugh built 308, extractors, super T10 box and Rebel wheels. Otherwise pretty stock, but one of the fastest cars l had been in upto that time (except for a mates 350 LJ) , oh yeah, it cost me $10,000!!!
Very 80's with the roof aerial, Pioneer sound, rake and white tyre lettering, but the best Torana l'm ever likely to own biggrin.gif

277136176.jpg

277136180.jpg

277136179.jpg

277136183.jpg

uses l34 type thermostat housing and l34 heater hose routing but twin outlet water pump

no charcoal cannister

love the double stack air filter elements

Edited by a9x868, 31 January 2017 - 10:43 PM.

#19 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:22 AM

With 20/20 hindsight l should have used that $14,000 to buy an unloved A9X or L34 Group C car.

Your best bet would've been to put a deposit on a house. I wish I had back then but as they say, you can sleep in your car but you can't drive your house. lol.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 01 February 2017 - 07:31 AM.

#20 CI 0308

CI 0308

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:77 LX SS, VX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:02 PM

Now these are the stories I love to read on the forum. great work. Thanks.

#21 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:48 PM

Very cool - love the old pics!

#22 V-SLR5000-P

V-SLR5000-P

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 February 2017 - 02:57 PM

Lindsay, it was a great car and l didn't push too hard for previous history at the time due to the unfortunate circumstances which forced the sale.

Although iuts no longer mine lm certainly interested in the story as you know it.

I'm pretty sure you told me that the original dealer was Mollesons at Kyenton.

The chrome rocker covers and stacked air cleaners were my small contribution.

The clutch was a killer, so hard that you wouldn't keep it down at the lights.

I sold the car to a young guy in Blackburn and l believe that it subsequently went to a solicitor in Canberra. Hopefully the current owner will contact you.

#23 _lancersr20_

_lancersr20_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:17 PM

Oh, THE CLUTCH. A workout for the left leg every time you drove it  :o

I can't remember the original dealer but yes, Kyenton does ring a bell !

The car must have been less than 6 years old when Ray bought it.

I remember the front spoiler having the front corner ripped off ... so I'm thinking that the original owner didn't take much care with the car :angry:

The tape deck was pretty standard Pioneer stuff. We both had Pioneer Component stereo's in various cars around the time. Cassette deck, Tuner, Graphic Equaliser and twin amps with 3 way speakers.

They were pretty "shmick" in the day, but we kept the music department in the A9X pretty basic and let the engine do the growling !  

Torana%20A9X%20-%20Raymond%2010.jpeg

The seats were also re-trimmed. I remember my brother trying very hard to get the material from the original supplier ... but I'm not sure if he succeeded ?

Also, the gbox was a Super T10 I believe ... not knowing the difference ! I vividly remember the "wine" of the gbox ... or was that "personality" ?  :P

In those days, probationary licence holders could drive any car they liked .... and it was a "handful" I remember - for a youngster like myself ... but awesome FUN  :D

Torana%20A9X%20-%20Raymond%2018.jpeg

At the Blind Institute show in Burwood. Note the Air box arrangement with the cold air tray and foam to seal the bonnet.

Oh, that 80's fashion wear ...... and it all comes around again  :o

#24 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:03 AM

Hi Lindsay And thanks Tim for the nudge on this thread .
Lindsay thanks for some nice pics and further history on the old girl , condolences on Rays passing , way too early .
I bought the car from Canberra in around 2006 from a bloke who bought it at divorce auction in 2004 , that owner was a barrister who had bought it from an electrician From Blackburn Melbourne , this fellow bought the car from Tim
I have spoken to the Barrister since , he did two targa rallies in the A9x with a 383 Holden stroker
I have rebuilt most of the mechanicals when I first bought it , sourced a HT block as the original engine was not with the car , I removed the pioneer stereo and speakers and replaced the door trims , it now runs widened original rims . 8x14.
There are a few different things that I haven,t touched like the black paint around the rad support which should be body colour , the hole in the bonnet which in slighter bigger than original and has a lip bent up inside , has had a tow bar , when I removed the tank was painted white under there through to firewall , I think they should be painted black under from original .
Shaun

#25 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:17 AM

nowadays

P1030107_zpsxqfb54jp.jpg