New Clutch

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _sunburst_metalic_

_sunburst_metalic_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:11 PM

Hi All, I know this topic has been discussed before bt Fast EH thought it would be good to revisit fitting a Blue Motor Clutch to a Red 6 (got a brand new RPM Blue motor clutch kit cheap), I took Fast EH advise and did what he did and got into it with a Linish disk and angle grinder removed a scollop from the Bell Housing (bought a second hand Bell as a donor and test bed) and removed 4 high points off the Pressure Plate, I didn't go as far as Fast EH and put it in a Lathe as there wasn't much come off the PPlate just eyeballed the same off each point with the Linish Disk don't think I would have upset the balance as there wouldn't have been a gram of metal total and it's off 4 apposing points on the PPlate, I had to replace the Thurst Bearing for a Red Motor one, no biggy. Given the Bell a polish with a wire wheel and a scourer came up a treat, tarted up at clutch leaver and refitted the springs all looks good and seems to work as it should on the bench. Now to fit the motor, will post after its fitted. Car is to be painted before the new kit goes in, how long you ask, well now there is this piece of string. rgds Mark.T

#2 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:33 AM

good luck with it...I think if fitted the box up 4 times and ended up pulling the engine out twice....much easier to find a blue motor bellhousing.

I am not using that setup at the moment..I have reverted to standard red motor clutch as I have fitted Tuff's old 202 and 4 speed....but these are rapidly wearing out...Its a toss up whether I use a very light YT red motor flywheel or go back to the blue setup next time.

#3 _sunburst_metalic_

_sunburst_metalic_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:57 PM

No Going back Fast EH, Motor is on the bench and I want to keep the Rat Trap clutch mechanism, seems ok on the bench spins without noise, BTW thanks for the heads up. I will post after I start motor up (persay it won't be installed till early next year), hopfully with a sucsess storey. Re your reply of the stuffin around with your set up, was this just trying to get it right or didn't it work?? rgds Mark.T

#4 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 02:16 PM

Mainly cos I didn't test it enough before puting back in..I would grind some off, think I had done enough or not rotated it fully ( no fan fitted, I was turning the harmonic balancer by hand..ouch)

All I am saying is make sure it rotates fully before fitting..but der :fool:

#5 _sunburst_metalic_

_sunburst_metalic_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:29 PM

Hi Fast EH, did you get it running or give up? Was there any balace issues?

#6 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:46 PM

I had no choice but to make it work..at $220 for a clutch kit..and then you put it in a lathe...pretty much means you must make it work.

I had no balance issues.

#7 _sunburst_metalic_

_sunburst_metalic_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:38 PM

Thats what i wanted to hear, I have gone past the point of no return, my motor is on a bench so no issues with trial running the setup, by hand of course. I asked the clutch centre where I bought the thrust bearing from if they had tried or heard of this setup, but got a negative. I have a YT 19lb steel FWheel no issues bolting up. After your advise i bought a second Bell and hooked into it. The whole unit looks strong as. I hope it all works good. Im only in for $180.00 total at present with the Bell and Red motor thrust included.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users