Photo

Polishing aluminium

• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#201 _iwanacoupe_

_iwanacoupe_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:10 PM

yeah fellas, its probably been the most time consuming piece ive done to date! it wont be perfect and alot of grinding,hand sanding,wet rubbing but i wont give up till its donePosted Image im about half way there at the moment, but it will be worth it when its finished.

Edited by iwanacoupe, 28 September 2010 - 09:21 PM.

#202 _iwanacoupe_

_iwanacoupe_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:19 PM

Wishing i had a high speed bench polisher lately though! think im gona have to buy one, even my mate who was in the metal finishing game for ten years is being negative and saying im gona f$%K it up! ha ha that just makes me more determined!Posted Image

#203 _iwanacoupe_

_iwanacoupe_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:08 PM

Bought a 1 hp bench grider today sure makes life easier yeehaPosted Image

#204 _iwanacoupe_

_iwanacoupe_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:24 PM

well its been a pain in the arse but here it is finally, its not 100% free of imperfections like pinholes and hard to get to places but its dam better than what it was here it isAttached File  camera pics manifold 349.JPG   418K   4 downloads

#205 _iwanacoupe_

_iwanacoupe_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:30 PM

Attached File  camera pics manifold 350.JPG   432.8K   1 downloadsAttached File  camera pics manifold 351.JPG   370.71K   1 downloadsAttached File  camera pics manifold 352.JPG   425.97K   1 downloads

#206 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:16 PM

Looks sweet mate, woulda been a tough one

#207 _iwanacoupe_

_iwanacoupe_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:12 PM

thanks man, now it matcheAttached File  PA270387.JPG   473.62K   3 downloadsAttached File  PA270385.JPG   428.33K   2 downloadsAttached File  PA270384.JPG   423.68K   2 downloadsAttached File  PA270383.JPG   447.27K   1 downloadsAttached File  PA270382.JPG   491.29K   3 downloadss up with the carbies!

#208 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:19 AM

Hell yea, that's gonna look awesome in the car! What method did you use to get into the tight spots?

#209 _iwanacoupe_

_iwanacoupe_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:00 PM

yeah its a long term project viper need more funds lol,everything else in the engine bay will have the same detail too. i started with a dremel with flap wheel to rid all cast marks,bumps,deep scratches etc, then small stones in tight spots, 400 grit wet dry then 800 then 1200- then finish 2000.
this alloy reacted a little different than others ive polished and i got sick of chasing pin holes so there is still a few. even after using the stone u still got to get in there with wet dry. Trial and error ya learn as u go aye
also polished up the rocker cover, alloy radiator, radiator overflow resy and triple su fuel rail, man im always covered in black dust!

#210 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:13 PM

Yeah they look great.

#211 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:10 PM

Today I ordered some metal polish (Mirror Finish, which I prefer to Purple) and I came across this website.

http://www.polish-up...-Polishers.html

This business is based in Canberra and from the looks of its excellent web pages they can supply all your polishing needs.

I should add I have nothing to do with this business but am merely passing on the URL as some will find it invaluable. Plenty of "How to" Video clips and a forum as well.

Cheers
Herne

#212 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

ok don't want to revive this thread but with such interesting information, why not?

just purchased a JOSCO polishing kit with two sisal and two calico buffs, grey compound and some white compound. Everywhere i read it says to use grey then white but i have also read that there must be red used in between, how true is this?

#213 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

I've been using 400grit on the orbital and then straight to the white rouge and loose leaf wheel,

Comes up good :)

#214 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

so where does grey come into this equation?

#215 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Lord Humungus The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:LJ GTR

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

The grey is a general purpose cutting compund & used with the sisal / coarse wheel, Used to remove scratches etc. from surface prior to using the white which is polishing compund & applied to the calico / soft wheel.... There's other colours of the stuff depending on material being polished..... Each different type of compund ussually requires a new wheel as cross contamination will result gumming the whole thing up......

#216 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

If you sand the peice to a fine enough grit then the gray compound on a sisal wheel will actually put courser scratches in.

For a nice flat peice that I can get my orbital on 400grit is finer then gray/sisal wheel... For tighter areas it's sometimes easier to not sand as fine and use the grey compound instead.

#217 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

Thanks andrew is the red compound in between?

And also thanks clint that about sums it up for me as i wasnt sure just how coarse it was. Thanks for the comparison. So if something is already semi polished i should stay away from the grey stuff? For example flat alloy sheet or a brushed looking alloy washer bottle?

#218 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

Sooo True Viper, I usually steer away from using the cutting / sisal side of my polisher unless it's steel I'm polishing... If aluminium cutting then I find fine steel wool pads & jiff do a fairly good job of prepping the surface 4 some polishing & or wet-dry sandpapers as suggested...... The Grey compund is a "general puprose as in most hard metals" cutting, I also have a red -- brown compund Tripoli which is for Aluminium polishing only, And if you're polishing alloy rims then this is the sorta stuff I use, After machine polishing then I love the fantastic results from Mirror Finish Metal Polish......

Edited by WHALEOILBEEFHOOKED, 28 June 2012 - 07:28 PM.

#219 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:47 PM

So Andrew what rotary pad will you use with the red compound? And will you go from red to white or skip white all together and use mirror finish?

#220 _stretchlc_

_stretchlc_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

I've also been polishing a few things of late................Its absolute pain, but the end results numb the hours of sanding and buff wheel action!

Attached Files

#221 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

So Andrew what rotary pad will you use with the red compound? And will you go from red to white or skip white all together and use mirror finish?

Don't quote me on this, But my understanding and experience is that both the red & white compounds are for polishing, The white is a general purpose whilst the redish stuff is suited to aluminium... None of this stuff should be applied to the same wheel... Or cross contamination can occur and cause you further headache, So go check out the Big B hardware store as they have huge selection, & keep your wheels / compunds seperate, After machine polishing I then use mirror finish on any metal surface this stuff is 1'r the best I've used, requires the smallest amount of liquid polish...... It's bloody hard work and after about a week of standing infront of a machine polisher "You're arms will let ya know what pins, needles & numbness are all about" Better to spread the jobs out over a few weeks....

#222 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:05 PM

i thought white was the final grade of fine rouge and mirror/purple the finest cream hand polish for finishing the surface. red is maybe somewhere before or in between. I know they are all different grits.

#223 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

ok well i went out and purchased a few things, that polishing kit and some mirror finish metal polish. what do people who have used both prefer?

i also went to have a look at some bench grinders but im not sure which to purchase? i have my eye on a ryobi 250w 150mm disc that i will convert into a one end spindle. there was that or a 250w ozito for the same price however i think i should stay away. how does the spindle attach to the buff and also should i be using white compound or green compound for polishing alloy and stainless?

#224 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:31 PM

this is my first attempt with just the calico on my makita drill. is it normal for my buff to wear down really quickly then stay where it is?

Posted Image

not bad still need to hit it with the mirror finish.

#225 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:43 PM

I got my bench grinder from Bunnings, ill have to check the brand and power. I think it may be a Ryobi and possibly $300? Pretty sure they also sold the spindle extensions with the tapered ends which the buffing wheels just "thread" onto.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users